“Tasty treats and healthy meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Callao Cafe and Market - CLOSED

Callao Cafe and Market
Price range: US$7 - US$11
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Place for Crepes...And the world's finest gourmet coffees
State College, Pennsylvania
“Tasty treats and healthy meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I visited here for the first time a couple of weeks ago and am sorry I waited so long! I had a dirty bird (turkey) crepe for lunch that was yummy and filling, and a scone that was delicious. Incidentally, I learned that they will make you a gluten-free crepe if requested (the scone was). Plan to return frequently!

Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Consistently Terrific”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I have been coming here a lot recently. Like the other say, it is very small, and it is off of the main drag in State College, but it has been great every time I have been there.

The coffee is far-and-away the best in State College despite them not being a coffee shop in the strictest sense. I have had both the house blend and the dark roast, and they have excellent flavor and are always fresh. I have not had their "super caffeinated" blend yet.

I have had several of the crepes, both sweet and savory, and I can't pick a favorite. The Barnyard was quite a hefty breakfast, maybe a bit more than I should have had on a workday morning, but it was delicious. My favorite of the sweet crepes probably is the one that inspired me to write this. It is a new one that they started yesterday called a strawberry whoopie pie. It's just decadent.

All-in-all, I have enjoyed the food, drinks, and staff here very much. It is almost a shame that it is as small as it is, but then if it were not so small, it might lose some of its appeal. Tables are tough to get sometimes, though, particularly on Saturdays. I have had to take my crepes out more than once because all of the tables were full.

State College, Pennsylvania
“Quality crepes and coffee - great little place in State College”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Callao Cafe is a small cafe in a little shopping complex in State College's "Park Forest" neighborhood. I've now been there a few times and tried a variety of crepes, sandwiches, and coffee drinks. But it was my latest visit with some family that inspired me to write this review.

The coffee is very good. I've had an excellent Ruben and a crepe called "The Barnyard". This last time, though, my husband and I each bought one savory and one sweet crepe to split, and got a couple of lattes. The hazelnut latte might just be the best latte I've ever had. I can't stop raving about the pulled pork crepe, and the nutella and banana crepe was the perfect complement to end the brunch.

Seating at Callao is VERY limited, but we were able to find a spot for four folks on a Saturday morning. If you are inclined to sit and eat, and can find a table, the environment is very welcoming and vibrant even. The manager has done an excellent job managing staff, in that our food came out quickly and the tables were cleared quickly.

We can't wait to go back!

Royersford, PA
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Read several good reviews for Callao prior to visiting my daughter in State College this past week and couldn't believe that I had missed a restaurant there! We did have a little trouble finding it but when we did, it was worth the effort. They are known for their crepes and rightly so. The coffee menu is awesome and the café a lait takes you right back to New Orleans. It is VERY SMALL but super friendly staff and even the owner came out to speak with us. Can't wait to return

• Visited February 2014
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
“Still can't pronounce the dang name - so it's just David's place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

which is probably about as accurate as it gets - this place is apparently some sort of life long dream of David's - and grateful we are that he has followed through. Incredible coffee. Delicious crepes. Polite and efficient wait staff. All combined with a cheeky owner who simply knows how to run a little coffee shop. Nice going David.

• Visited November 2013