“Delightful Surprise”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pugh Street
Transit: Frequent local bus service with stop 1/4 block away
Reviewed 20 April 2014

At each visit to Penn State we are trying a new restaurant. Spat's was decided upon based on a review from YELP and it turned out to be a WOO! The service and food were top notch. While we didn't have a reservation they were able to fit us in as we arrived late afternoon/early evening. From the tapas to our meal - all was delish and really authentic.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We split an order of Voodoo Shrimp (served on cheese grits) and the gator bites (served with cornbread). The shrimp were very good, but the gator was excellent and highly recommended. The seasoning and sauce was great. I had a bowl of gumbo, which was dark and very well seasoned. My wife had butterfish (a special that evening) which was good, but, unfortunately, seemed to be a bit cold as if it had been waiting for the rest of the meal to be cooked. I had the catfish Ponchartrain, which was outstanding. It was breaded and fried, but then served with in crawfish étouffée, and with cheese grits and collards. The etouffee really added a lot of flavor to the catfish. I'm not usually a fan of fried food and with the etouffee, it didn't seem fried. The collards were also very tasty. We had a very pleasant meal. This is probably one of the better choices in town.

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I come to State College frequently and my favorite place for lunch is Spats. The food is incredible and portion sizes are huge! I always have enough for another meal. My favorite o's the braised short rib entrée. The meat is so tender and juicy. Had the hazelnut creme brulee for dessert and it was to die for. Now I need a nap!

1  Thank PSUForever1
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Tried restaurant after reading reviews on trip advisor but had a disappointing experience. Four people in party had two great meals and two poor. Service was horrible, we waited one hour and 10 min for waitress to come tell us there was a problem in kitchen. Then another 20 min for food to arrive. Waitress was not attentive. Never checked on us or offer second round of drinks. All this and the restaurant was NOT crowded only three tables with customers.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Small intimate restaurant with elegant atmosphere with a college town vibe. Food exceptional and varied. Service friendly and helpful. Prices are a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. Special events, like Mardi Gras wine tasting with a special menu that I am going to tonight!