“They don't clean the rooms”
Review of Autoport

Autoport
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in State College
“They don't clean the rooms”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Upon our arrival, the room smelled like a kitty litter box. The management was unconcerned and said they would spray deodorizer. Our other room wasn't cleaned during our 3 day stay. We had to call repeatedly just to get towels and toilet paper. Their attitude was nonchalant and disinterested. Don't stay here!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank damcelro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I've stayed at the Autoport several times, since I come to State College once or twice a year to visit family. I was shocked to read the several terrible reviews of it here on Tripadvisor. I've always had a good experience. I don't know where the bed bugs are that so many people have mentioned! Those reports filled me with tremendous anxiety and I almost cancelled my reservation, but it was THON weekend, and I knew it would be Autoport or nothing (most likely).

We somehow scored the "Honeymoon Suite" so maybe that was due to the bad reviews? Anyway, we DID NOT have bedbugs. We had 2 TVs, used our laptop, took hot showers, slept in a king size bed, used a small fridge (though not enough outlets for fridge and coffee maker -- but fridge chilled quickly), all for about $85. The walls clearly need to be repaired (there were shocking telltale signs of previous work that was not expertly done, let's say) and there were some noisy neighbors, but it's a motel, not the Waldorf, so that's fine. Motels aren't responsible for their clientele, right? They should replace the ventilation fan in the bath, though -- it sounded like a piper cub (a prop-driven private airplane).

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PghGuy15212
Philadelphia
Reviewed 20 February 2011

My wife and I traveled to THON and were planning to stay with my family 30 minutes away. Once we got to State College we decided maybe it better to find a room for the night. Her parents suggested the Autoport as they had always been happy while staying there.

From the outside, it doesn't look like much, but for the price I thought ok, it's just one night. We were handled very courteously by the front desk, and when we got to our room I was floored at how updated everything was. Is this a Marriott? No, but for $84 a night, we had a clean and updated room. Some things could use some work, like some outdated paint in some of the bathroom (rust was showing on one of the heater panel covers) but honestly my only complaint. The night was 30-60 MPH wind gusts. I heard not a peep. Was one of the better nights sleep I've had in a while, and that includes my own home.

Very happy with our stay. Everything surpassed my expectations and I would absolutely stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank vaulter03
Champion, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2010

difficult to find parking space. upon entering room, looked ok..old, but ok. after settling in: dirty and noisy air conditioning unit..window treatments didn't cover windows, carpet dirty and felt sticky, so needless to say, i didn't walk on it without something on my feet. only one lamp in room worked, bathroom in very bad need of updating. got u p, checked out and went on our merry way, never giving it another thought. then it happened. within the week, everyone in my party (11 people, ranging from small children to elderly) had bed bug bites....a LOT of bed bug bites on their bodies. call to mgmt gave no satisfaction, got a standard response that all rooms were checked and nothing was found..maybe they were mosquito bites...hmmmm..i think that all of us would know if we were eaten alive by mosquitos. never ever stay there if you don't want to come away with bites all over your body.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank tcoleman8

Travellers are raving about these State College hotels

Temple
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Traveled to St.College for a reunion which just happened to be the weekend of the arts festival July 9th, 10th & 11th 2010 (bad timing) this was the only hotel in the area with available rooms. The room at first glance looked okay, then you look around and you see how unkempt the room really is, the carpet not so clean, curtains hanging off the rod making it difficult to close....so you tell yourself this is a college town, rooms get used every day with much abuse & you are here just to sleep. Well, the room we stayed in has (BED BUGS) and yes we did get bug bites. Called & asked to speak with the manager (was told not available) left my number for a call back but have yet to hear from any one so I decided to tell all via the review. DON'T STAY HERE YOU'll BE SORRY!

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank coatclip
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I'll start with the positives: The lounge and outdoor dining area are updated and rather festive looking. The staff is friendly. And, the breakfast special is tasty and a good deal.

BUT ... you will never find me staying in this hotel again.

The rooms are absolutely disgusting. The bedding was stained and the carpet was dirty. On top of the bathroom being extremely dated, small, and uncomfortable, every morning there was a layer of dirt on the surface of the toilet, sink, and tub -- coming, we think, from the dirty air vents. Also, mold on the ceiling of the bathroom creeped us out. We did not have shades so we tried to pull the curtains tight which blocked the air flow from the noisy air conditioner. The good thing about the noisy air conditioner was that it helped block the outside noise.

The guest laundy room was a complete mess ... I guess they attempt to clean it occasionally as I saw a broom resting up against the wall ... however, when I used it the trash can was overflowing, there was spilled liquid detergent on the counter, piles of lint from the dryer scattered around, and crud on the floor.

I've stayed at hotels with comparable rates that offer cleaner and more comfortable facilities, so in terms of value, there was none. Do yourself a favor -- stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank hospitality62
USA
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I originally had made arrangements for two rooms with two seperate and valid credit cards. The Autoport for some reason found this confusing and cancelled one of the reservations without even calling me. From there it went downhill. I called when I discovered the cancellation and was told I cleared things up and the 2 rooms were now reserved. On the Saturday of my arrival I found that not only were the two rooms not available but that only room was reserved and that had been cancelled and I never knew who had done so because it wasn't me. The impolite night clerk was more interested in arguing with me than in helping me find another hotel room at 11:30 PM that Saturday night. This hotel appears to not be administered well and should be avoided or you'll be like me thinking you had a reservation but learning at 11:30 PM that it was cancelled and you were out of luck.

Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends