“disappointed at one of our fave restaurants”

American Ale House and Grill
Ranked #13 of 267 Restaurants in State College
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We've always really enjoyed this restaurant but took 2 friends there tonight at 6:30 and were very disappointed. Did ownership change? The Ale house burger has always been fantastic but tonight it was barely a step above fast food. The service and timing of food was also very poor. Took a LONG time to get our drinks and then the waitress brought our entrees out right after the appetizers. We had to refuse the entrees because we were sitting at a tiny table for 4 (!) and had no room for the plates. So... apparently they put my burger and fries under a heat lamp. Couldn't they have replaced my fries with new ones?! Everything was like rubber.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Well-loved place w/ good brew, good food and good outdoor dining. Only problem I had was the $ I left to help w/ bill when I left early from group of friends, waitress thought was a tip...twenty bucks? I don't think so. :(

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Nothing is better in State College than sitting at this bar and watching the chef cook a "pan roast" right in front of you. I had no clue what a pan roast was till I visited this place but now I'm hooked. A Cajun specialty of seafood & veggies in amazing tomato sauce served with white rice in a bowl. Far and away one of the best dishes I ever tasted. Try to sit at the bar and watch her prepare your pan roast while you sample craft brews or wine (not the best wine list but good beer list).
Friendly bartenders and crowd with great food make this my favorite place when I visit State College. Don't miss if!

1  Thank berniepr
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I recall having several great meals here a decade ago. Two of us couples decided to give it a try since we hadn't been there in SO long.

We got there around 6:15 for dinner and it wasn't busy at all...we wondered why. Mystery solved, what a disappointment it turned out to be! Not only were their prices out of hand, the food was average at best. Let me first say our waitress was a doll...thanks Kate for great service!

We had the Grilled Flatbread appetizer...very good but overpriced at $13 for the size.

On to dinner...Elaine had the bass which she said was pretty good, my wife had the Carolina pulled pork sandwich which was way too spicy...she said it had a "bite" she couldn't describe. There is nothing in the menu or on the website stating the addition of any spices...or you could attribute it to a funky bar-b-q sauce. Brian had the fillet mignon which had gristle...fillet mignon with gristle, really? The fillet was not very tasty and not tender at all but cooked as ordered. I had the 35 day aged New York strip. I've been raised around beef my entire 50 years and if that meat hung for more than 14days, I'd be surprised. It wasn't any better than grocery store steak. It wasn't tough but it certainly wasn't tender and I know I have purchased better at Nittany Meats in Zion. I ordered the strip steak medium to med-rare and got it medium to med-well. Not very tasty, not very tender and hugely overpriced.

One sure way to tell how organized a restaurant is...compare their website menu to their in house menu. My NY strip was listed on the website as of 23MAR14 at $32...price in the restaurant...$39. Another thing to look for is "faux-be beef". This is fake Kobe or the use of the word Kobe to try and sell inferior products. Unless you're visiting the Wynn resort in Las Vegas...you haven't had real Kobe beef...PERIOD! What kind of a Cheesey restaurant uses that gimmick when it is so easy to trace Kobe beef in this country. At $200/lb in Japan, I really don't think the Ale House rates high enough to receive one of the 17 heads allowed in the US as of 15DEC2013, lol. I take away one star just for the deceit.

1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Three colleagues and I ate dinner here recently. We all had salads and were all were happy with them. I ordered the bouillabaisse (fish and shellfish stew). It was completely cold. I sent it back to the kitchen and proceeded to eat my side order of broccoli (which turned out to be broccolini, even better!) and was surprised to find that was cold, too. When they brought the bouillabaisse back it was warm at best. I'm not sure what's going on but they should fix this. On the plus side, the bouillabaisse was filled with clams, mussels and crabs and very well seasoned.

Our server was terrific. No complaints other than the cold food--I would definitely come back!