“Expensive entrees, but good ambience”

American Ale House and Grill
Ranked #13 of 267 Restaurants in State College
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Have been dining here for over 20 years and the value of a dinner has defintely slipped over the years. The salads, appetizers, sandwiches and burgers are quite nice and priced appropriately; however, the main entrees are disappointing and currently a poor value. The beer selection is always very good, and the service usually excellent. Most regulars go here for the weekend entertainment around the piano bar, but there are only so many times a year I can put up with the same repertoire. The outdoor seating, accessible in good weather, is a pleasant experience.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Really good appetizers and sandwiches. I had the Colby beef sliders, three little burgers which were great. Others in our party had the steak sandwich - I had a bite and it was also very good. Had the hummus appetizer, which I would order again. But they did charge $1.50 for extra pita -- c'mon people- give us enough to begin with.

Overall a good experience. Good food, service and drink.

1  Thank Pam52787
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We've always really enjoyed this restaurant but took 2 friends there tonight at 6:30 and were very disappointed. Did ownership change? The Ale house burger has always been fantastic but tonight it was barely a step above fast food. The service and timing of food was also very poor. Took a LONG time to get our drinks and then the waitress brought our entrees out right after the appetizers. We had to refuse the entrees because we were sitting at a tiny table for 4 (!) and had no room for the plates. So... apparently they put my burger and fries under a heat lamp. Couldn't they have replaced my fries with new ones?! Everything was like rubber.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Well-loved place w/ good brew, good food and good outdoor dining. Only problem I had was the $ I left to help w/ bill when I left early from group of friends, waitress thought was a tip...twenty bucks? I don't think so. :(

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Nothing is better in State College than sitting at this bar and watching the chef cook a "pan roast" right in front of you. I had no clue what a pan roast was till I visited this place but now I'm hooked. A Cajun specialty of seafood & veggies in amazing tomato sauce served with white rice in a bowl. Far and away one of the best dishes I ever tasted. Try to sit at the bar and watch her prepare your pan roast while you sample craft brews or wine (not the best wine list but good beer list).
Friendly bartenders and crowd with great food make this my favorite place when I visit State College. Don't miss if!

1  Thank berniepr