“Nice Find on the way from the Airport to the Hotel”

American Ale House and Grill
Ranked #15 of 248 Restaurants in State College
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This place is a true "hidden gem". It sits in what appears to be a residential apartment area of town. I only found it because my GPS took me down the road on the way from the airport to the hotel.

Made my way back to it for dinner and was pleased to find that they have a happy hour in the bar from 5-7pm and offer half price on all of the beers on tap and they have a great selection.

The French Onion Soup was different as it was served in a large soup bowl with no cheese on the top but it definitely had some cheese in it. The croutons were perfect and the soup had the flavor you should expect when ordering this soup. The burger I had was great. They have a great selection of other foods with some Cajun selections I will need to try next time I am in town.

The outside seating is really nice and I carried my last beer out that way (can't get the happy hour special out there) to enjoy the nice evening breeze.

1  Thank Beth U

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Went to the ale house the other night. Sat outside, which is the way to go during the summer. Food did not disappoint. We ordered small plates and salads. Had the olives (yum!), the octopus with pork belly, the brussel sprouts, ahi tuna, and the seared scallop and arugula salad. The most interesting was the octopus. Strongly suggest you order this. Very different tastes married together create a memorable dish. The ahi tuna is another one of their signature items. Brussel sprouts were kind of ho-hum. Mine taste better. The seared scallop and arugula salad has beets and mandarin oranges (not canned). It too did not disappoint. Little light on the dressing, but very good. Service was good. Only complaint was that we had to ask for bread. Should not have to do that. Still one of the better places to eat in state college. We'll go back!

1  Thank sprucecreekfly
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Have been dining here for over 20 years and the value of a dinner has defintely slipped over the years. The salads, appetizers, sandwiches and burgers are quite nice and priced appropriately; however, the main entrees are disappointing and currently a poor value. The beer selection is always very good, and the service usually excellent. Most regulars go here for the weekend entertainment around the piano bar, but there are only so many times a year I can put up with the same repertoire. The outdoor seating, accessible in good weather, is a pleasant experience.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Really good appetizers and sandwiches. I had the Colby beef sliders, three little burgers which were great. Others in our party had the steak sandwich - I had a bite and it was also very good. Had the hummus appetizer, which I would order again. But they did charge $1.50 for extra pita -- c'mon people- give us enough to begin with.

Overall a good experience. Good food, service and drink.

1  Thank Pam52787
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We've always really enjoyed this restaurant but took 2 friends there tonight at 6:30 and were very disappointed. Did ownership change? The Ale house burger has always been fantastic but tonight it was barely a step above fast food. The service and timing of food was also very poor. Took a LONG time to get our drinks and then the waitress brought our entrees out right after the appetizers. We had to refuse the entrees because we were sitting at a tiny table for 4 (!) and had no room for the plates. So... apparently they put my burger and fries under a heat lamp. Couldn't they have replaced my fries with new ones?! Everything was like rubber.