All reviews golf course made to order breakfast elegant dining room beautiful boutique hotel huge bathroom breakfast was included small hotel each morning place to stay happy valley the staff was friendly and helpful football weekend library toiletries campus tub accommodations
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My wife is VERY picky about hotels and inns and this is one of her favorites. Nice quiet location, easy parking, good rooms and breakfast. (Never had dinner there.). Doesn't have the claustrophobic feel of some B&Bs and inns. Also, doesn't have the impersonal feel of a large hotel. just right.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Gggghhhh
Reviewed 25 March 2012

A huge shout out to the kindness of the staff at the carnegie house! From the early check in to the unending care we received during our stay after my daughter had some oral surgery performed - I cannot thank you all enough. We enjoyed the afternoon sun on the patio, relaxed in our comfortable room with frequent visits to the front office to freeze our ice packs,took a quick trip to conveniently located Wegmans and thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and conversation with our attentive and very hard-working server! Staying away from the busy campus and downtown was perfect....will be sure to share our experience with friends! Be back soon!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Beautiful inn, gorgeous rooms, gourmet level restaurant; love the conversation areas located throughout the inn; only drawback, it's a Sunday night; as far as we can tell, we're the only guests still here; the lights are on in the library but no fire in the fireplace, and it is chilly, and even though they assured us this afternoon that we would be able to enjoy drinks in the library this evening, the bar is closed. We questioned the lone girl sitting in the office and she said, no, bar closed and didn't offer to turn on the fireplace. A disappointing ending to what was an otherwise perfect long weekend. If you come here in the off season, make sure to ask just what facilities will be open during your planned stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rustyPennsylvania
Reviewed 14 October 2011

This Inn was the perfect quiet spot to have a reception dinner for our son's wedding. Service is excellent and the decor is beautiful. Dinner was wonderful and breakfast each morning was also very very good (excellent omlets). We enjoyed being entertained by the little chipmunk on the back patio overlooking Toftrees Golf Course each morning. We came up from FL so the fall foilage was a treat to see with the crisp cool mornings. We enjoyed sitting by the fire in the evening having one of our favorite cocktails. Try the peach cosmo it is very refreshing.
We booked the inn for four days but enjoyed it so much we were able to stay two more days.
We come back to State College each year for a football game and I hope to be able to stay at the Inn again next year.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms and both were very nice and comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisNaples_Florida
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel. I stayed in mid-June 2011 for two nights. I do a careful bed bug search each place I stay; it really is the most important issue to me. To be clear, I found *no* living bed bugs at this hotel, but I did find a single dead bed bug under the mattress pad of a room on the first floor. I asked for a room change, which they gave me, and searched even more carefully in the reassigned room on the second floor, and found nothing. Having found online bed bug reports for every other hotel in State College, I took my chances and stayed for two nights and had no further issues.

Were it not for that, I'd be giving this hotel an excellent rating. The included breakfast was absolutely delicious and it had character and comfort. I would suggest that the hotel management invest in bed bug wrappers for the mattresses to assure the problem doesn't become serious.

Room Tip: They were renovating when I stayed there in June 2011. I'd go for something in the new section which should be by now be completed.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank AConferenceTraveler
hamco4, Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Thank you for visiting our Inn. We greatly appreciate your comments. The Carnegie Inn & Spa takes great pride in providing a clean and healthy environment for our guests and employees. Our efforts include staff and management pest identification and control training as well as routine inspections and preventative treatments from professionals. We will continue these practices to ensure that an infestation does not occur.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Our renovations are now completed at the property. We apologize for any inconvenience that this work may have caused. On your next visit, be sure to enjoy ESSpa Kozmetika, our new day spa and massage therapy facility.