“Carnegie Inn & Spa” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in State College
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Carnegie Inn & Spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was excited to get away for a few days, from Lancaster, Pa. I am currently on an 8 week vacation. I decided to see a few friends in State College.

Long Story short, I ended up staying 2 days at the Carnegie Inn & Spa. I had a wonderful suite. While not lavish or dated, it was very comforting. My suite was cleaned, maintenance overall in suite and property excels in all areas.

The King sized bed was comfy, heck I slept in both days. The room attendants were very friendly, always greeted myself with a warm smile and hello, and very professional in their duties. I asked for a few extra items, and they were delivered in less than 5 minutes.

I had dinner both nights, the first night the Sea Bass was cooked perfectly and presentations were top notch. Lamb Lollipops Appetizer was excellent but overcooked. I ordered rare, came out medium. The Blood Orange Vinaigrette was SPOT on. The Stilton (Bleu Cheese) Salad was perfect, perhaps toast the walnuts to create additional flavor Profiles. Dressing was perfectly tossed with just the right amount.

On my Second night I was accompanied by two other guest, Pete, (General Manager) and his lovely wife Jessica.

Our service was good, proper service in serving and clearing of table, great suggestions from Anita, Our server. Dinners were well prepared. It was nice touch at the end of Chocolate Dipped Strawberries was delivered to our table compliments of the Culinary Staff.

A note: while waiting to be picked up on Tuesday morning to go to breakfast, I was waiting outside reading the USA Today, compliments of the Carnegie Inn & Spa. A well dressed gentleman arrived said good morning to myself and proceeded into the lobby area. Moments later he returned with Coffee and accompaniments. I don't recall his name.

In the Hospitality Business in which I am affiliated with, moments like the above go a long and create those specials moments and signature features of employees efforts to enhance our visits, in return results in repeat business.

Kudos to The whole Team of Carnegie Inn & Spa. thank you for making my vacation to State College, a memorable one.

Joseph M. Weems, C.E.C.

Room Tip: Make reservations, worth the extra money. Able to see Tofttrees Golf Course from Suite 17th Hole
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Chefjmw
Pete W, General Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Joe W.,
On behalf of the staff of the Carnegie Inn & Spa, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our little inn. We know everyone's time is precious and the positive comments are greatly appreciated.
Our staff is dedicated to making sure you, our guest, experience legendary service and leave here saying "wow".
We look forward to being your host in the future.
Peter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Duncannon, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

Wife and I were looking for a special little weekend getaway to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary. We happened upon our old stomping grounds of State College Pa. And we decided to rewards our self by living up to an old promise. A little back story… When we were first married we lived in State College, and not too far down the road from the Carnegie Inn and Spa. While on our numerous walks through the winding neighborhoods of Toft Trees we would walk past the very same Inn. Some day we will get to stay there we said! Low and behold 12 years later we made good on that promise.
The Inn was more quant and personalized then we remembered… almost felt like returning to an old friend’s house, rather than a Hotel, or Inn. We were welcomed the minuet we walked in the door. Instructed on how to use the many key features the Inn provided… Again it was as if we were staying at a relative’s house! How to use the lock on the door, how the complementary full breakfast was served and the hours it was available. We were unable to take advantage of the elegant dinner service they provided due to previously made plans to go to a concert that evening at the BJC. But if the breakfast we enjoyed the next morning was a precursor to the talent available for dinner… well let me tell you this, WE WILL BE BACK! Needless to say everything we wanted or needed was taken care of before we even thought that maybe we would need it! All weekend long we were treated to a kind of service that you didn’t know was available in central Pa. Congratulation go to the Carnegie Inn and Spa staff for exceeding our expectations and making a friend for life! See you next year!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joe W
Greetings!
On behalf of the staff of the Carnegie Inn & Spa, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us.
We are delighted you had a wonderful stay with us and that we were able to meet all of your expectations.
We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.
Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

My wife & I stayed here recently, & had a wonderfull escape. We purchased the "Carnegie Escape overnight pkg, that included 1 night, w/dinner & Brkfst, & $250 spa Credit.
Re: the Lodging & overall experience of the Inn: it was first rate, from the reception by Peter when we checked in, to the elegance of the King sized room, w/sitting area, & beautifull bathroom. We also made reservations for the ESS Spa, where Natalie and Joseph provided a first rate 60 minute massage for both of us. The dinner was especially wonderfull, where you are welcomed in the library, to enjoy the fireplace while you're offered "on the house" appetizers. The bartender makes her rounds and offers first rate coctails. I had the Caribeean martini which was delicious. You are then seated , & your first course arrives right away. In summary, the subsequent meal was 5 star. We enjoyed all 4 courses and took the desert back to our room.
The Breakfast the next morning was again, 5 star. (also included in the package)
Suffice to say, the package is not inexpensive, but it was all worth it.
If you want a first class experience in a romantic Inn, I highly recommend the Carnegie Inn & Spa.

Jugajim

Room Tip: We had Room #19, it was fine... as it overlooked the rear veranda and the 18th Green of the golf-cou...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank James M
Greetings!
On behalf of the staff of the Carnegie Inn & Spa, thank you for taking the time to write a note about your stay.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the spa retreat. It certainly is a great way to relax and forget about life for awhile.
I would also agree that the breakfast is a great treat as it is a great way to start the day. The French toast loaded with whipped cream and fresh strawberries is my favorite!
We look forward to having you join us again soon! Remember Arts Fest in July!
Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Since I am local to the Inn, I checked in for 1 night and spa treatments. I would highly recommend the Inn. I found the rooms cozy and the bedding especially comfortable. I can't say enough about my dinner (I ordered the filet mignon - I think most expensive item on the menu). It was much more than I would normally spend on dinner but it was quite amazing. Maybe the best filet mignon have ever had. The complimentary breakfast was also very tasty. With 2 fire places in the common areas, there were a lot of places to snuggle in with a good book. The spa services were lovely with a relaxing room to wait in before my treatment. I originally did not get treatments on the day that I wanted so booking in advance is a must.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Russell-UP
Greetings!
I would like to thank you for "escaping the city" and visiting our quaint inn. I am delighted that you enjoyed the filet as it too is my favorite dinner item. I can never make up my mind and tell myself I will try a new item but how can one turn down Certified Angus Beef...we use the best quality in the area...
We hope you will join us again on your next "out of town" experience.
Lynchburg, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

Traveling alone can sometimes be very stressful and anxiety provoking. This establishment was perfect. I felt like I was at home and welcome from beginning to end. The room was comfortable and on repeat visits they gave me the same room. Dinner was great - seabass was cooked to perfection and presentation

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Slwalkerthacker
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us! We are delighted that you have chosen to make us home during your travels and hope our staff and "home" will continue to make you feel comfortable during your travels. Know you are not by yourself when you stay with us as we enjoy sitting and talking with any and everyone when we get the chance.
Looking forward to seeing you again. Let us know when you are coming in again!
Wintersville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

My husband surprised me with a visit to the Cargegie Inn and Spa for a special New Years Eve experience. We enjoyed our stay very much. Months prior to that, we had visited the Biltmore and stayed at the Biltmore Inn, and I have to say; that the rooms were very elegant. We found that the our room at the Carnegie house was cozier and just as elegant. We enjoyed the sitting area in our room, it was very relaxing. Our dining experience was wonderful, and we especially liked waiting in the library by the fireplace until our reservation time. All the staff at the Carnegie Inn and Spa were very friendy and helpful. We met the manager Peter, and he was such a nice person. We will definetly be returning to the Carnegie Inn for another wonder stay. The Carnegie Inn and Spa was the perfect New Years Eve retreat.

Room Tip: The use of your internet.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mona m m
Wow, the Biltmore! We greatly appreciate the comparison!
We are delighted that you chose to stay with us for your New Year's celebration! I can tell you we have a wonderful staff who have such a strong desire to deliver legendary service and this is something I cannot teach, it is just who they are, and this is what makes my job so great as it is easier to take care of you, our guest.
Thank you again and we look forward to having you as our guest!
Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

Called around the area desparate for a room due to the unexpected blizzard and was glad to find an opening here at the Carnegie. The man on the phone, (Tim) was funny and able to put me at ease while driving through the snow. My room was $130, lunch was 23$ (3 courses), and dinner was only 30$! All dishes were lovingly made and my waitress was sweet and attentive. It's barely a mile from the airport, maybe 5 miles from the State College exit, and it's close to 322! There's ample free parking, it's private, there's a beautiful lounge and restaurant overlooking the golf course, the rooms are large, well decorated, and luxurious with huge bathrooms and a sitting area! I was impressed and grateful for the smiling faces and incredible service on such a scary day!

Room Tip: Room 9 has a huge bathroom with a giant sunk tub and a large glass shower, a sitting area, and a lar...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Katie M
Greetings,
Thanks for taking the time to write the comments. I vividly remember speaking with you on the phone and greeting you when you arrived. We are delighted that we were able to provide a shelter from the storm for you. We like to think of ourselves as the little home in the woods, sort of that comfy feel good feeling.
I hope you make it back down this way and can enjoy us in a nicer time without the snow and ice.