“Wanted to love it more”
Review of Carnegie Inn & Spa

Carnegie Inn & Spa
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 4 December 2013

First, I would like to note that the room at Carnegie Inn and Spa was exceptionally clean, very quiet and exceedingly comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and well-appointed with high quality products. Only 2 items kept this from being the “perfect room”. First, the A/C-Heat unit runs constantly and a torn trim on the window blind that should have been obvious to the cleaning staff was left hanging.

We visited on Thanksgiving weekend, which is an extremely slow time of year, but we felt uncomfortable with the front door-bell ringing every time anyone entered or left the building. Also, we felt the library and lounge should be more welcoming to hotel guests. On Friday afternoon at 4 PM, long after breakfast had been served; the staff was busy vacuuming the rugs in the dining room and library which was off-putting to my wife and me as we wanted to relax, but not in our room. Chairs, not couches, grace the lounge area and are not very comfortable to read a book or just hang out.

As I said, we were there for Thanksgiving and had made reservations for dinner in the restaurant. We were very hungry and had already reviewed the menu, so we opted to bypass the library before entering the dining room. Normally, I would think this would be a pretty cool approach to ordering, but the pace was very slow. The restaurant was not overwhelmed, but everything took a very long time to be served, especially with a limited menu. The amuse’ was very good (a fried potato puff and shrimp, each with delicious sauces) and the desserts were absolutely delicious (Apple dumpling and chocolate pecan pie), the turkey dinner was…a turkey dinner. We really thought that there could have had a more creative spin from such a renowned chef.

Breakfast at the hotel was very good, but the menu was the same for both mornings. We had to ask each morning for ketchup for our potatoes and for raw sugar for our coffee…I would think this would be a standard.

As I began, I want to assure you that we found Carnegie Inn and Spa a delightful place and overall our experience was warm and comforting, which highlighted even more the few off notes in our experience.

Room Tip: Golf course view is very nice. We requested a suite, but they were unavailable due to renovation, th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JKravitz
Pete W, General Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for your input regarding your stay. We appreciate the suggestions and look forward to seeing you again.

There are newer reviews for Carnegie Inn & Spa

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Having stayed at the pricey Carnegie Inn several times, we were looking forward to the comfortable, lovely lodging that we have experienced in the past. This trip, however, exposed some serious flaws. First of all, our room's décor lacked polish, was tired, with scuffed woodwork, an old bulky TV in a dated armoire, worn looking bedspread with threads hanging from it, thin sheets, less than luxurious towels. The room lacked a desk, which is pretty standard furniture in hotels. The details were not even up to the standards one expects at a good chain hotel.

I was not charmed by a cold shower the first morning. When I complained about this situation to the manager (Peter), he neglected to apologize. He said that the gas pilot light had gone out and had to be relit. That actually sounds a little dangerous, not to say causing much discomfort.
My breakfast also left much to be desired. The egg white omelet was undercooked, watery, and barely edible.

My expectations of a felicitous experience were not met. Please, Carnegie Inn, get your magic back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet N

Thank you for the input. I have passed the info regarding the room decor along to the ownership as we are striving to persuade them to do some upgrades to the rooms.
My apologies for the water heater pilot light going out. Though certainly not an everyday occurrance, these sort of things to happen here and in homes every once in a while and you do not know it until a person alerts you that there is no hot water, and hopefully before they actually take the shower.
I have spoken to the chef regarding your comment on your egg.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Very nice location amidst the forest and golf course Would come here again. Food is excellent, service is very good, wonderful amenities and a spa. Only drawback was the room heaters were little noisy at night. We didn't use the spa but enjoyed breakfast each morning and found it very convenient to Penn State.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Goldenphysician

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We look forward to our guests' comments to let us know how we are doing. I will pass along the comments to the remainder of the staff.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed at this Inn Friday and Saturday nights for parents weekend at Penn State Univ. Attentive staff but if you check in after the restaurant closes and the front door is locked, you have to call the night clerk to come and open the door for you. While our room was lovely and large, the decor was quite fussy with window treatments and even a window treatment like curtain on the ceiling over the headboard. I'm not a fan of bedspreads as I'm always concerned they're not washed after each guest and of course with all the heavy fabrics in the room, there was naturally a bedspread too. The air conditioning unit was in the wall under a window as this building is an old traditional structure that doesn't have central air. I mention this because the unit was quite loud even on the low ac setting and was aimed right at my side of the bed. I woke up both nights and had to turn the unit off, then woke up to a stuffy, hot room. There didn't seem to be a happy medium with this unit. The free breakfast was very nice, served buffet style and had the same selections on both days and included a scrambled egg mixture, bacon & ham and a cinnamon roll type of french toast. They also served cold cereal, breads, fruit, juice and coffee. You had to ask for decaf from the kitchen. Eating in the dining room was very quiet and stuffy which is both good if you don't want to hear annoying people first thing in the morning, and bad if you want to feel comfortable or God forbid you burp. If you're looking for a nice, quiet, clean place and you don't have kids with you, this is the place for you. If you want a more predictable, "open 24 hrs" type of set up, you're probably better off at one of the chain hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid a room where the air conditioning unit blows directly on the bed.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsfromNYC

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We really appreciate that you took the time to let us know how we are doing. As you state, this is a quaint, quiet place away from the hustle and bustle of a cookie-cutter hotel. We want our guests to relax and unwind.
I have passed along the info regarding the AC. The difficult issue is the placement of the window and the need to put the AC unit there. But we will certainly see if there are other alternatives.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I learned about the Carnegie Inn through the Choice Hotels website, as it is newly affiliated with the "Ascend" brand. The entry area and hallways are reminiscent of an old-fashioned Scottish country inn, but don't be fooled by the old-world charm. The Carnegie Inn is relatively new and has all modern amenities, including free wifi. My king-bed room faced the golf course to the rear of the Inn and was extremely quiet and well-appointed. The representative who checked me in could not have been more attentive and accompanied me to my room to ensure that everything was perfect. He told me that each room is different, some with suites and kitchenettes, which would be a godsend for a family on an extended weekend.

I did not have dinner in the elegant dining room as it was a bit pricey and offered only full course entrees, more food than I wanted that late in the day. Breakfast, which was included with the room, was outstanding and consisted of a full sit-down menu instead of the typical continental buffet. For a peaceful getaway in traditional elegance, It would be hard to do better that the Carnegie Inn.

Room Tip: My second-floor room facing the back of the hotel was quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank MRGalant
Pete W, General Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Greetings and Thank you for kind comments!
We appreciate the comments from all of our guests as we use those comments as a barometer to see how we are doing.
We are delighted to hear that your stay with us was above and beyond your expectations. We strive to have everyone enjoy their stay as you did.
We look forward to having you stay with us again when you are back in the area.
If there is anything we can do, please do let us know.

Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

A real delight in every way. Comfortable quiet rooms. Helpful friendly staff. We look forward to coming to State College so we can stay here. There is no coffee in the morning 'til 7:30 so you will have to drive to get some if you're up before then.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank 227RV
Pete W, General Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment regarding your stay. We greatly appreciate it.
We are now opened for breakfast at 7 AM so the next time you are with us there will be coffee out.
We are looking forward to having you stay with us again and if there is anything we can do to assist with that, please do let us know.
Regards,
Pete Weaver

Reviewed 31 July 2013

My son and I stayed here when we toured Penn State and were delighted with the large, charmingly appointed, clean rooms, the beautiful grounds and superb dining facility. Breakfast was included and what a fabulous meal it was! To my pleasant surprise it was NOT continental fare consisting of danishes and bagels, but perfectly prepared coffee, juices, omelets with luscious filling choices, roasted potatoes, french toast and more. The bathroom was spacious and luxuriously appointed with plush towels, robes and fine toiletries befitting the "spa" in the facility's name. We plan to go back and explore the hotel's restaurant further. I suspect that it may be one of the better dining establishments in the area and is a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Txadmom

Greetings,
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to make comments about your stay and our little inn. Our success is based on our staff really wanting to make everyone's stay legendary.
I have passed your comments to the kitchen staff as they also deserve and "atta boy".
For the past 6 years we have been voted the best fine dining restaurant in the area, much to do with what they and the service staff accomplish.
We sure hope your son decides to attend PSU and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Regards,