All reviews golf course made to order breakfast elegant dining room beautiful boutique hotel penn state huge bathroom breakfast was included small hotel each morning place to stay happy valley parents weekend the staff was friendly and helpful football game library toiletries campus
Reviewed 13 April 2008

This was our second visit to this lovely small hotel (who says it's a B&B??) and I can't imagine staying anywhere else now that one of our sons works at Penn State. It's set amid trees in a lovely hilly area called Toftrees, convenient to everything (including phenomenal shopping for foodies at Wegman's). It's very English and Scottish in feel with lovely period prints and deep colors, with Chippendale style reproduction furniture. You'll feel like you're in England or Scotland too when you see the tiny bar stocked with single malts. The room we had was very quiet (#14) and spacious, with a half-canopied king size bed, good sitting area and very large bathroom with separate shower and soaking tub. The staff was uniformly excellent: helpful, friendly, going the extra mile. The new manager, Elizabeth (aka Murgie) is charm itself and our server Svetlana was perfect. We dined there one night when we weren't with family and it's all done very European-style. First you have a drink in the 19th century-style library while you study the menu. The server brings you that evening's amuse-bouche, and you order. When your appetizer is ready, you're seated in the dining room which has great acoustics--by which I mean it's not noisy even when full. The food was excellent and the menu offers a good range of fish, fowl and meat entrees. I found staying there very romantic and relaxing, and can't wait till my next trip. There's an ownership change in the works and there might be some tinkering and updating after May 1, but what they have there is really very special already.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2008

The Carnegie House should be listed as a lovely hotel not really what you think of as a B&B. The rooms and the hotel are immaculate and lovely. You MUST have dinner there. The menus and cocktails are brought to you in the living areas, by the fire place, it is so lovely and relaxing, the food is wonderful and the service great. The room includes a full freshly cooked breakfast with linens and delightful service. Ask for a room overlooking the golf course at Toftrees, beautiful! There is no other place to stay in State College!!

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 2 January 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Carnegie House in October. The room we stayed in was large, clean, and well appointed. As another review stated, the decor is not modern but it is very nice, not cheap nor gaudy.

The Carnegie House was very quiet when we were there. We saw other couples and some families with older children (looked like they may have been touring the campus or in for an on-campus interview) but we didn't see or hear any young ones at all.

Breakfast was included with our stay and while the menu was somewhat limited, the food always came out hot and freshly prepared. Dinner in the restaurant was good with above average service for State College.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 June 2007

What an impeccably maintained hotel in such a charming location! I wish I took photographs because the photographs on the Carnegie House's website do not do the hotel justice. My favorite hotels tend to be more modern hotels; however you won't find any of those in State College. This traditionally decorated (but not gaudy) hotel is actually situated on the fringes of Toftrees Golf Course and has a beautiful outdoor dining area practically on the fairway. I was in State College for business and considered this hotel to be a delightful oasis. The large rooms have windows with views and lovely window seats to top it off. The best part about the hotel is the incredibly attentive staff. They make you feel as though you are family and even treat you to homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies every evening and have an endless supply of the tasty treats in the lobby (which make up for the hard beds). Look no longer because this is the best in State College.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank CaliforniaGirl25
Reviewed 17 June 2007

The Carnegie House is a lovely small inn located only 5 minutes from Penn State University (if you know the shortcut, which the very pleasant staff will tell you about). I ordinarily shy away from bed and breakfast places, but the Carnegie House is not an ordinary bed and breakfast. Each room is large and has its own large bath, and each is decorated in a different theme. I stayed in a very romantic room with a window seat, sitting area, and oversized bathroom with soaking tub and separate shower. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast the next morning was great -- a combination of self-serve continental (breads, cereals, fruit, juice) and cooked-to-order (eggs, bacon, sausage, toast). I didn't get to eat lunch or dinner in the restaurant, but I did look at the menu and it was very appealing. The other thing I didn't get to do was to enjoy the many little sitting nooks inside and out, some overlooking a very pretty garden -- so I'll have to go back. (The only downside, which was relatively minor, is that I could on occasion hear the person in the room above me walking around. )

I would definitely recommend this place for a nice weekend away.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple