“A bit of upper class decor in a college town”
Review of The Atherton Hotel

The Atherton Hotel
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in State College
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A bit of upper class decor in a college town”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Check-in by taking an elevator from street level to a lovely chandeliered hotel lobby. Service at check-in was friendly & efficient. The room was large with standard decor - lots of florals and veneers. Amenities in the bathroom were limited compared to other hotels - conditioning shampoo & 2 soap bars. Small individual coffee maker was in the room. Nice to have free wireless internet and options for movies on the HD TV. Location is terrific to get to Penn State's West End - attention families with kids in the West Dorms or engineering students. Nice to park the car and walk around town. Overall nice hotel, good experience, would stay here again if they have a special price. A bit pricey when compared to other hotels.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
AthertonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience at The Atherton Hotel. Please feel welcome to contact us directly if we can be of any further service. Warm regards and safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We just stayed at the Atherton Hotel last night (8/15/11). We booked through Priceline.com with their "Name Your Price" feature. It was $62 for the room, taxes included, and I wish we'd spent more on a better place.

We ended up in a room with 2 double beds and they couldn't move us to a king room, which was ok. What was not ok, was that the AC in the room rattled so loud that the TV couldn't drown it out...ALL. NIGHT. LONG. There was also a lot of ambient noise from outside in our room on the 7th floor.

The pillows were flat and smelled bad. (I imagine they came from somewhere like Walmart at about five bucks each, they were awful!) The tub enclosure was gross and this hotel is in serious need of updating. Saw stained ceiling tiles where the roof leaks, too.

I used Priceline.com's "Name Your Price" to book the Hilton Midtown in NYC several days ago. I gave them a card at check-in, but they didn't put any holds on it, since the room was booked and paid for in advance. Well-done! The Atherton, however, thought it was ok to put a $78 hold on my account at check-in - despite the fact that the room was paid for via Priceline.com and had cleared my account the day I booked it. Despite explaining this, the girl just didn't get it, and put the hold on our account, anyway.

I wouldn't stay there again. The staff seems incompetent (placing the account hold when the room was paid for, which the Hilton didn't find to be necessary) and the room was mediocre, at best. The beds are fine but the pillows are awful. We would have been far better off at the Holiday Inn Express or some other 2.5 star place- the Atherton is no good.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. Please inform us during your stay if there are any issues that we can address for you in the moment as it is our pleasure to do so. While we do our best to accommodate all requests from our guests, we cannot always control how third-parties, such as Priceline, handle bookings. Please know that we will address the items mentioned, as we strive to provide the best service possible. Thank you and warm regards.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I had to change my room several times because of old smoke odor, dirty sheets and air conditioner not working. I also found ants all over the bathroom in the three rooms they tried to put me in. I complained to the manager at the front desk who basically brushed off my concerns. I should have taken a friends advice and stayed somwhere less expensive and not come home with ant bites!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank shoebox8402
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Not only does The Atherton Hotel use a professional Pest Management Company, our staff is trained to adrress all concerns of pest management quickly and efficiently. Please accept my apologies on behalf of our front desk staff who made you feel that they were brushing off your concerns. We are committed to addressing and correcting any situations reported by guests as dissatisfactory. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us in the future.
Rumson, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I've stayed here several times while visiting, my parents who live in State College, and more recently my son, who is now a Penn State student. I love the location since it is downtown and it is an easy walk to campus and shops and restaurants. I last stayed here in January for a couple of nights, and before that in December for several nights over the holidays. Unfortunately, the quality of the hotel, especially the staff, seems to have been going downhill over the past couple of years. During the past few visits at times there was no one at the front desk when I arrived. After ringing for service, the persons who came out of the office acted annoyed to be interrupted to have to check me into my room. I've had our room key-cards stop working halfway through our visit which is really no big deal, except that the person at reception seemed to be annoyed to having to issue new keys. Some of the people at reception have been very accommodating and friendly, but we have encountered surly, unfriendly staff more frequently this past year. The hotel also seems to be understaffed sometimes, one day we left the room in the morning and passed several room service trays in the hall waiting to be picked up, came back at the end of the day and the trays with the dirty dishes were still there. Then the next morning as we passed the same trays on our way out. The rooms are fine, if smallish, the beds aren't the most comfortable, but ok, and the bathrooms could use a good scrub down. The hotel could use an overhaul. The prices are very good, sometimes substantially less than lodging that is further out of town. I used to enjoy staying at The Atherton, but have now been seeking out other accommodations while in State College.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing with us both the things you enjoyed and those that could be improved. Guest comments are extremely valuable to us in addressing guest concerns and continually improving the level of service we provide to each traveler. Please accept my apologies for the impression left upon you by our staff, it is always our pleasure to accommodate each guest in any way possible. Thank you again for allowing us the opportunity to make improvements and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This hotel has its perks (i.e. garage parking underneath the hotel, prime location to walk to campus and downtown areas and a nice lobby) but it also had its downsides (i.e. leaking ceiling in the bathroom). The room was pretty spacious. The maintenance and upkeep of the ceiling in the bathroom was off-putting. I went to grab for a bath towel sitting on top of the towel rack over the toilet and found that it was soaking wet and covered with brown spots. I looked up and noticed a hole in the ceiling where the water was seeping through. The hallways were a maze, which made finding our room a little bit of a task at first. There were vending and ice machines on every other floor. TThe bed was pretty hard. The Atherton Hotel did the trick for the brief stay in State College, but I'm not sure I'd return to the Atherton, it would depend on the price of nearby hotels.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your comments. It is always our pleasure to move or upgrade guests to a room that fully suits their needs, as well as correct the situation in any way possible. We appreciate your sharing your opinions with us so that we may continue to improve the guest experience at The Atherton Hotel.
Cheticamp, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Our rate was fine, and the location was good. The room was clean and there was nothing extreme to complain or rave about.

However - on check-in I was surprised to find many errors in my name and email address, despite having phoned to make my reservation and spelled everything out. The same dirt in the hallway remained on the carpet throughout our stay (3 days). Housekeeping arrived after 10 am one day then at 7:45 am the next day, waking us up, and then never returned to make up the room! There was no wireless access in our room...though we were able to get online intermittently by crouching on the floor near the closet! The bar was fine, restaurant all right but our server didn't seem to have been trained.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
AthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your comments. The hotel's policy is to move or upgrade any guest if the room assigned to them does not suit their needs. Please inform us during your stay if there are any issues that we can address for you in the moment as it is truly our pleasure to do so.
Philadelphia
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We were here for a group reunion for several nights - had a great rate of $95 plus parking.

The Good -

- Great location, adjacent to Penn State
- Offers a nice lobby meeting area, bar & restaurant
- Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful
- Normal checkout is at noon
- Great special rates
- Free internet
- Food problem in bar immediately addressed and charges removed

The Not-So-Good -

- Room was a little shabby and worn, with marks on walls, grime on bathroom floor/walls
- Housekeeping was poor - room never vacuumed (saw same crumbs on floor daily)
- Very saggy & bouncy mattresses!
- Charges a parking fee
- Secured wireless connections not available - only unsecured (Staff tried to determine the problem, but no luck over the weekend - wireless is supposed to be secured)

If you can get the low rate and want a hotel in walking distance to the campus, I would recommend the Atherton.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
TheAthertonHotelgm, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2011
Thank you for your comments and for staying with us. We truly appreciate the opportunity to address some of the items mentioned! Pease know that our policy is that if a guest is not satisfied with the guest room assigned, we will gladly move you to another room to your liking, or upgrade the room type if available. The hotel's parking fee is $5.00/per night. High speed wireless internet access is secured, complimentary, and password protected for guest use only. Thank you and sending you our best regards.