“Reservation cancelled the night before”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Atherton Hotel

The Atherton Hotel
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in State College
Export, PA
“Reservation cancelled the night before”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We had a room reserved for two nights for graduation 2012 one year in advance. I personally went to the hotel the day reservations for that weekend were made available to the public and got confirmation I was first in line. I paid upfront and the Atherton held that money until cancelling my reservation the night before while refusing to tell us why it was our room that was given away. They attempted to move us down the street to a lesser hotel and into a smoking room. When we said this was unacceptable they were unaccommodating in every sense of the word and management would not speak with us. I went to the Atherton three times each of which I was told I would be able to talk to the manger and each time they were not there. Everyone I spoke to said that they could not help me I had to talk to management, who as noted made themselves unavailable. They could not even refund my money for the room that they were no longer providing. Finally after much arguing and threat of legal action they were authorized to refund my money and gave us a voucher for a one night stay to be used later that year but did nothing for us that weekend. I still never was given the chance to speak with management.
In a previous review on this site written about this ordeal, management responded that they paid for our stay and helped take good care of us that weekend. I am writing this in response as that was not the case whatsoever. The Atherton paid for nothing that weekend and were completely unaccommodating after putting us in that situation. I still would like my chance to speak with management.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank thomas_m_smith13
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
We sincerely apologize for the overbooking and understand your disappointment and upset. Although this was a first for our hotel, we most sincerely attempted to provide compensation to you by obtaining alternate lodging within 3 miles on this otherwise sold out weekend at our cost, by refunding any difference in cost to you promptly, and by providing complimentary dinner and complimentary stay for an additional weekend on another date.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Morrisville, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We have stayed here several times in the last few years. Our first experience was great and you felt like you were in a 5 star hotel. This last time it felt more like a 3 star hotel at best. Location is great as you can walk anywhere on campus and to the sporting events. The lobby is beautiful. BUT the rooms are another story. Our first room's bathroom was dirty so we had to move to another one. They upgraded us to a suite. When we first walked in, we were very impressed with how large it was. But the room had old carpets, stained furniture, mold in the shower, uncomfortable beds and pillows and on top of that, our toilet ran all night. When we complained about it, the front desk told us they were backed up and couldn't come up until after midnight or the next morning. It's really a shame they can't get their act together because this could be a very lovely hotel but then again, because of the location, I don't think they have to worry about people staying there so maybe that's not a priority.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KaMar4486
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2015
Thank you for choosing The Atherton Hotel and for sharing your insight and review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your lack of convenience during your stay. It sounds like there were a number of issues that did not meet your expectations and for that I'm truly sorry.

In addition the hotel is in the process of an ongoing restoration during 2015 and 2016. I hope you will come back and enjoy the many updates as they happen!

If I can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at mpb@athertonhotel.net.

Best Regards,

Maggie Biddle
Wilmington, De
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

If Real Estate goes by, "Location, Location, Location", then with hotels it is "Location, Location, Accommodations". First of all, I stayed in the Atherton about a week ago as an attendant of a State College professional activity that would require me to walk to campus regularly. The location of the Atherton could not be BETTER for that! I could basically walk anywhere on campus from it. Just left the car in the garage...it was great! If you do need to drive anyplace, the hotel is on the Main Drag, and you can take it easily to the nearest grocery store or local brewery (Try Otto's!) or Beaver Stadium . (no comment about the statue) So, in terms of location... you cannot beat this place!
In terms of ACCOMMODATIONS, well, that is a little different. Lobby is nice-very pollished.. photos on website make the place look glam. But once you really get into your room... hmmm....not so much. The rooms are pretty large, which is nice. Beds are comfy, but I have had better. Free wifi nice touch. Thanks for that! But rooms should be equippped with at least a fridge, especially in light of the fact that many guests might want to visit to see a football game and need hydrational storage. At the very least, more rooms should be offered with microwaves and fridges- even Hampton Inn has those! The A/C-Ventilation system is quite old. It was nice to be able to control it myself, but it was REALLY NOISY and would rattle if you were not careful.
They change the bed sheets every 2 or 3 days, to save energy , so do not expect new sheets each day. Some people are into that. (I stayed for a week)
Desk staff is REALLY NICE. I spoke with both and they were friendly and helpful. I am certain they are getting asked often about the State of State College given the recent Paterno/Sandusky Issues, and the girl was fine with me asking without acting tired of it or annoyed.
Fitness room was standard. Not bad. They also give complimentary passes to near by gyms too. THANKS for that! Nice touch!
Restaurant was typical dark wooded hotel bar-like restaurant. Not bad. Pool table if you are interested in that.

Overall, the place had its perks (location!) but it is like seeing a hot dog cart parked in front of The Tavern on the Green. It might be something to eat, but don't expect a ZAGAT rating.

Room Tip: Request a fridge in your room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
We are extremely happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, and want to make sure that some of the items you questioned are correctly stated so you may better enjoy your future visits! Hotel booking fee of $2.00 is clearly stated in writing at time of reservation by emailed confirmation. It is repeated on the registration card as well as the receipt. Refrigerators and microwaves are available in any room by calling the front desk and they are standard in all of our suites. Housekeeping changes sheets daily and that policy is clearly stated on a card in each guest room. We are so glad to know you liked the fitness room on-site. We also offer complimentary use of Penn State's swimming facilities, Lion Heart Fitness, and The Athletic Club to each guest of the hotel. I was sorry to hear that your air conditioner was too loud for your liking and hope you will know for the future that we are happy to move a guest or upgrade if possible if you are not entirely satisfied with your room. Our location is best in State College and we truly appreciate your patronage of the hotel and hope you will visit us again soon.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

We booked two rooms on Priceline for a one night stay on our road trip between Ohio and New Jersey. We got this hotel and off we went.
Arrival: We arrived at about 10pm and found the underground parking garage. There were parking spaces still available and the area seemed ok. We found a vehicle parked in front of the elevator in the garage, odd since there were parking spaces available. We found our way to the check-in area...yes a little dated but nice enough. The check-in agent was nice and quickly got our rooms...maybe a little too quick. He didn't tell us about the parking fee and the booking fee(?) or about the wireless internet.
Room: The room had two double beds...short beds, I'm 6'1 and my feet hung off the bed all night. There was a desk, flat screen tv and the room was a good size. The bathroom was good enough but as usual with most hotels the shower water pressure was lacking. My brother who was in the other identical room had a little issue with the headboard of his bed. While he was attempting to plug in his CPAP machine in the plug in behind one of the beds the heavy headboard fell off the wall and almost hit him. After looking at the headboard it appeared that it was just glued on the wall, no screws...not very safe.
Overall the hotel was ok for a one night stay. I would still like the hotel to explain the "booking fee". Also they should be upfront about additional charges, even minor, when you check-in.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank John J
Thank you so very much for your review. So that you can better enjoy your next stay with us we would like to clear up some items and be sure they are stated accurately in response. The hotel charges a $2.00 booking fee that is clearly stated in writing on emailed confirmations, Priceline information sent with confirmation, during check-in on the registration card, and on the guest receipt. Please accept our apology if this was not clear. The booking fee is charged to off-set online reservation costs. Guest rooms contain all standard sized beds and we do not have any shorter than standard size and the hotel offers complimentary Wifi throughout the building. I wish this had been clearly stated by our staff at your check-in, and it is also listed on the keycard packet that contains your guest key. We are so glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us otherwise and hope you will visit us again in the future.
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

The hotel location is great - downtown, next to campus. Beyond that not much else. The rooms are not particularly clean - mold in the bathroom. Parking spaces are few and incredibly tight. For some reason this hotel allows cars to park in the hashed off areas directly in front of the elevator doors and in handicap space access aisles - certainly the ADA folks would object to this practice. Front desk staff is very slow. AC units are loud.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MBarn33
Thank you for your review. I sincerely regret that you did not enjoy parts of your stay with us and encourage you to contact me for a complimentary stay. In the future please know that if there is any aspect of your stay that you do not like, we are happy to move you to another room or upgrade the room type to insure your satisfaction. Please know that we do not allow guests to park in front of the elevators or in handicapped designated spaces.
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

The Atherton Hotel is an older hotel that does need some updating. Despite some of the previous responses from management My room was slightly better than average. They only cleaned my bathroom floor 1 day of the 6 I was there and I do not believe they changed the sheets at all. For the last 4 days I placed a magazine under the sheet and it was there every night when I returned. The front desk was helpful with any questions I had and helped me out. I enjoyed the location to campus, quiet enough and close enough to where I had to go. The Internet was spotty some days and I had to continually sign in, but this is not a negative. I would rather error on side of caution.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Foreknox
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you so much for your review. It is our goal that your stay with us will not only meet your expectations, but exceed them. If I can ever be of assistance to you during future visits to State College, I hope you will not hesitate to contact me directly at 814-231-2100 ext. 118.
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Summary

1) Large Suites. Can't book them on line, you have to make a phone call to get one.
2) Great Location for Downtown.
3) Boutique style older hotel recently renovated but deliberately in a 1940s style, with a pretty lobby and wood paneled elevators with classical music in the halls and elevators.
4) Convenient Services.
5) Nice oasis in the middle of a busy noisy downtown area.
6) Parking garage under the building. A big plus in downtown State College.

7) WiFi a little weak on the 6th floor.
8) Older style heating air conditioning units that can be noisy (white noise).
9) Windows not completely soundproof but we slept just fine but were on a higher floor.
10) Hours for services change depending on how busy they are-- so double check.

Stayed here recently for the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts which takes place in downtown State College. This hotel was a perfect location. We had booked a single room but when I asked at the desk if they had suites they said yes and then upgraded me at no extra charge. Was there for 3 nights.

The suite is two former hotel rooms jointed together by French doors. There is an entrance hallway with a side table and then a kitchenette area with a small refrigerator, a sink and cabinets. Between the side table and the kitchenette there is a closet with extra pillows and an ironing board and iron. The living room has a sofa with two end table and lamps, an arm chair with a standing lamp, a chest of draw with a new flat screen TV, and also a writing desk with a lamp and mirror and internet hook up.

The bedroom was very pleasant with a large king bed with two night table and a chest of drawers with a second flat screen TV. Large bathroom with Jacuzzi and shower and sink.

The furniture in our room was new but in an older style fitting with the decor of the whole hotel. Although the lamp on the desk might look like something from the 1940s the base had a port for an internet line. A number of people had commented that the furniture is outdated. It is not worn, it's actually pretty new, it is just deliberately in an older style, as is the whole hotel. When I was there everything was quite clean.

One advantage of the suite is that both rooms have a heating air condition unit so at night we put the one on in the living room and turned the one off in the bedroom and kept the French doors open slightly. Kept the room cool just fine but we could not hear the air conditioner turning on and off in the living room. In a single room it might have kept me awake. It's about as loud as a window unit you would buy for your home.

Went down to their bar/lounge which is nice and they sell 6 packs so I got Blue Moon and took it back to the room and put it in the refrigerator. But they have a good selection including Stella Artois, Hoegarden, Newcastle Brown Ale and about 12 other selections. Full bar with nice sitting area. Ate lunch there twice and liked the food. Nice selection on the menu. Had shrimp with BBQ sauce and blue cheese dipping sauce just because it sounded so unusual and it was quite good. Price very reasonable and on the second floor above the street level it was a nice quiet place to get away from the crowd out on the street. However the bartender told me that during football weekends the bar is quite busy and not so quiet. They sell out on football weekends.

We did have trouble getting WiFi reception on the 6th floor but my smart phone is also a router so we used that instead. There is also a strong signal called StateCollegeWifi that we could get but it would have cost $9 a day and it said it did not do streaming video but that was a five out of five bars signal.

With the next renovation it would be nice to get more soundproof windows and quieter heating air conditioning units and stronger Wifi. But in spite of this I would stay here again.

If you are coming for an event in the downtown area or visiting a student this location is close to a lot of the dorms and restaurants along the College Ave and Beaver Street corridor.

We were going to get room service for breakfast on Monday morning but when I called the night before it was not available but they had a continental breakfast in the lobby from 7 to 11 AM.

The hotels in State College tend to operate on a boom or bust cycle. Either they are full because there is an event going on like the Arts Festival, Graduation, or a football game, or they are near empty.
So it is understandable that they can't maintain all services like room service all the time. The bar and the restaurant in the hotel seem to open every day though. Although on Sunday night the restaurant closed at 8 PM, it is open until 10 PM when they are busy. But there are a lot of restaurants on College Ave so we went out there but a lot of them were closing at 9 or not open on Sunday. The Corner Room was open until 9 that Sunday and is a reasonable choice. Not gourmet, but not bad.

I would say if the deliberate 1940s feel of the place is going to put you off then this is not the place for you. But we travel a lot and enjoy the variety. Not everything has to look modern. The boutique hotels we have stayed in when we are in Manhattan all tend to have a 1940s look also. The furniture is about 5 years old and in good condition and clean as are the halls and the rooms whenever we have stayed here. The lobby is very pretty when the elevator doors open and you see the grand piano and the chandelier and very large grandfather clock and about 6 sitting areas each with sofa, coffee table and two arm chairs.

The Wifi worked great in the lobby and in the bar. Did some computer work in the bar since it was quiet that day. I didn't eat in the restaurant but other people have commented that it is very good.

Best tip would be to stay in a suite. You can't book them online-- you have to call and talk to someone to get one.

Also if it is quiet in State College when you are there double check that the services listed in the information package in the room is accurate for that day. It is accurate at busy times but subject to change when things are slow.

Considering that State College is a large town surrounded by miles of rural area, this is a very nice hotel. It's not going to be a full service hotel like in New York or Chicago, but they would probably go bankrupt if they tried to do that in State College.

Always have liked the Atherton, tried other hotels like the Nittany Lion Inn but never found the larger size or the more complete full services to make up for the out of the way location from the downtown area. But if being near the downtown area is not a priority than that is another full service hotel on the other side of the campus away from the downtown. If you are high maintenance then the Nittany Lion Inn might be a better choice. If you are adaptable and want to be near the downtown this is the better choice.

Room Tip: The suites are the way to go.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PFDJ
Thank you very much for your review and insight. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and our suites. If I can ever be of assistance to you during future stays at The Atherton, please feel welcome to call upon me.