“From the grooms to the guests, an event we'll all cherish...”
Review of The Atherton Hotel

The Atherton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 21 August 2013

.... thanks to the excellence of the Atherton Hotel staff. I recently attended a wedding for two very special friends of mine, Bob & Dan, and I can't think of another I've attended that was handled with such professionalism. The 200 other guests and I enjoyed a seamless flow of great food, drink, atmosphere, and entertainment. The ceremony was held in the same room as the banquet, and I was amazed how the staff was able to transform the room in about an hour.
My meal was delicious. I had the mixed grill of shrimp skewer, grilled chicken, and sirloin steak.
The skewer was loaded with perfectly done shrimp and the flavorful steak was fork tender.
The server at our table was Peter Lucas. He served with a great mix of focus, and attention to detail. The event took about eight hours, but it seemed to go by in a blink of an eye. The special day we all shared with Bob & Dan went off perfectly thanks to an obviously dedicated team. Special thanks to manager Jess Jacoby Cox and her
assistant Jordan Jacoby. The way this event went off had to mean their planning, imagination & execution was spot on. Again, thanks to all involved that helped create such a great time.
Job well done!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for your comments and compliments. We are appreciative of all guest comments and truly appreciate your time in writing such a lovely review.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I was recently there for a wedding August 17, 2013..It will go down as the best wedding I ever had the pleasure of going to. It is in a great location right in the heart of State College. Prior to the wedding I went along with the couple to go over all the details for this affair. I must say Jessica Cox the manager couldn't be more helpful and understanding to the needs of the couple.. She went above and beyond along with the staff of the Atherton. They help make this day so memorable for so many. Hats off to the many @ the Atherton on a job well done!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your insight about your recent stay. Please know that we do share all comments with our staff as well and will pass along your compliments.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed in the Atherton Hotel last week for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. The location of the hotel can't be beat - a block from campus and in the heart of downtown State College. Everything was clean and well-maintained.

I was especially impressed by the quality of service and professionalism of the staff working there at the hotel. Two of the mornings I stayed there I had breakfast in the Tarragon restaurant. The food in the Tarragon restaurant was excellent and reasonably priced, and the servers did a great job. Also amazing was a catered dinner in one of the banquet facilities the last night I was there. Kudos to Jordan and Jess for making that such a great dinner and accommodating everyone so well. I also enjoyed the Rumors lounge. The burgers there were amazing and Peter was an exceptional bartender.

The only flaws I could see were the elevators and wifi. The elevators were extremely slow and the wifi was not very dependable, as I was always getting kicked off then having to retype a username and password.

All in all I would highly recommend the Atherton Hotel if you are looking for a place to stay in State College.

Room Tip: Ask if you can get a room that is not on the Atherton Street side, as buses and traffic will keep yo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments and review. We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

A beautiful hotel in the heart of State College, PA. Lovely suites with all the comforts of home.
Mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker. Great staff. The restaurants serve great food and the staff is friendly & accommodating. The location is perfect if you're looking at Penn State and don't forget to travel to Penn Caves. A fun day trip! We were on their first ever "living social" deal so if you ever get the chance to grab it up again, don't miss the opportunity.

Room Tip: Ask for suite
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your time in commenting about your recent stay. We appreciate and value your insight.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed at the Atherton Hotel this week while attending the Transition Conference. I am writing to thank Manager Steven Romig for the beautiful room that I received as an upgrade. In all my years staying at the Atherton, I never had such a lovely suite with a sitting room and separate bedroom. What a treat! Thanks so much!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your time in sharing your comments about your recent stay. We do appreciate your business and the groups you bring to the hotel.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel is a bit dated but a decent place to stay that is close to the university. The room was clean. There is onsite parking but fairly tight for larger vehicles. I would stay there again if i needed to stay in state college again.

• Stayed: June 2013
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Steve L.,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review and comments. We truly appreciate your business and knowing that you may plan to stay with us again in the future. If I can be of any assistance to you with future reservations please feel welcome to call my direct line: 814-231-2100 ext 118.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I booked a suite with a jacuzzi for my anniversary. Three hundred dollars for the room was very steep but I figured it was worth it for the occasion. The room was ok although it did have somewhat of a musty smell. The main problem we had with the room was the bathroom. It was terrible. The "jacuzzi" was an ancient powder blue corner tub with a few jets. The powder blue toilet, over the top floral wall paper, and white spindles rounded out the 80's look. It desperately needed an update. In addition the toilet seat was still wet with a hair on it and the bed cover had a huge stain on the underside. Honestly, I have stayed at motels for less than a third of this with much nice bathrooms. We made the most of it but we will never stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt30034

Thank you for your comments and insight. We will be happy to have the opportunity to rectify your issues. Please contact me by email or phone so that we can offer resolution.