All reviews great location tarragon restaurant penn state parking garage is an older hotel in town front desk staff bit dated beds were comfortable nice room college visit shuttle service staff was friendly my son rumours downtown lobby
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was a very nice hotel located in a great area close to everything . The Room was very very nice and clean I would stay again . The staff was excellent I would recommend this to everyone its worth it.

Room Tip: Don't pass this hotel by because it is a diamond.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jtonette
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for choosing The Atherton Hotel! We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I always judge a hotel by towels...these are worn, hard and frayed. The hotel is worn as well. Rooms are tired and need a redo with new beds and a modern heating system. Right now there are two temps, cold and really warm....bad. Lacked hot water in the morning....sad. Group events in hotel were unimpressive. Staff was interrupting to clean up before we even finished our meeting. Resteraunt was fine but sparsely staffed. Go elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your unpleasant comments. We are sorry to hear that you seemed to not enjoy very many parts of your stay with us. Please know that if we are made aware of any dissatisfaction we are happy to rectify any situation when we are made aware of the issue while you are on property. Please contact me if I can be of further assistance to you during your next stay in State College. We'd love to have the opportunity to have you as our guest.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip. The hotel is clean and neat, and the rooms have more than adequate space. Having stayed here last 3 years ago, it appears as the beds and towels are getting a bit long in the tooth and need to be replaced. Overall a great value and an extremely convenient location for PSU.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

I'm so glad to know that you found the hotel to be quiet, comfortable and meeting your expectations for housekeeping and other features. We are very appreciative of your compliments and will share them with staff. Please feel welcome to contact me any time in the future to personally assist with any of your reservations as it would be my pleasure to do so.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Nice hotel right in the heart of downtown State College. It's an older hotel than what I'm accustomed to, but it has a lot of charm. The lobby is located on the second floor, the staff at the desk were courteous. My room was clean and fresh with the usual amenities, I was impressed at how quite it was since the hotel was packed with guest during my stay. Didn't get a chance to dine, or use any of the other services that were offered. It's an easy walk to just about anywhere in the downtown area. If you like old school and are looking for a good place to rest, then this is the place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BlessedAmI
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your comments and thoughts! Please know that if you are ever not satisfied with your stay we are happy to try to upgrade your room or move you to another room. In addition if we are made aware of any issue whatsoever during your stay we will make every effort to make things right for you. Thanks again and wishing you all the best!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

This was my second stay here. Unfortunately my company has meetings here that we have to stay over night with. Both times my hotel room was bad. The curtains look as though they had been sitting in a ball for many days before they were hung. The mattresses were awful! They literally jiggled like a bowl of jello. The remote didn't work unless you stood up and pointed it 2 inches from the tv. And there were water stains on the walls.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank SkiddersL
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Please know that we are always happy to upgrade or change rooms if we are made aware that anything in your room does not meet your expectations during your stay. Thank you for your comments. Your business is genuinely appreciated.