All reviewsgreat locationtarragon restaurantpenn stateparking garage isan older hotelin townfront desk staffbit datedbeds were comfortablenice roomcollege visitshuttle servicestaff was friendlymy sonrumoursdowntownlobby
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I recently organized an alumni weekend and meeting in State College, and Jessica Cox and her staff at the Atherton were my first choice. She had helped with several events for me in the past, and we certainly were not disappointed. Jessica and I were able to get everything scheduled, including a room block, meeting space, and breakfast with minimal emails. The morning of our meeting, the staff was friendly and helpful, and our room setup was absolutely perfect.

We have never had a bad experience here, and I will do everything that I can to continue to work with Jessica and her staff. I would highly recommend booking a group event here. The location and service can't be beat.

1  Thank Phil R
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Phil R.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent experience at our hotel and for your positive remarks and compliments about the service provided by Jessica in our Sales Department. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, the location, and planning your meetings. As a small independent business we are particularly appreciative of the many choices of hotels our guests have, and your repeat choice of The Atherton. Your insight and business are valued. Thank you.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The hotel was in great location for us, the staff was really friendly.
The only thing was that the bathroom was a little dirty and at night we wanted to go down to the bar to get a drink and there was an activity going on that was extremely loud to the point we had to leave the hotel to a different bar.
But overall the hotel was great for the price. Will recommender!

• Stayed: April 2014
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for choosing The Atherton Hotel. Your business is truly appreciated and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Frankly, you really want this hotel to be fantastic. The lobby (one flight up from street level) is fantastic. The rooms, however, are a bit lacking. The size is nice. I faced the side of the building that looked onto the parking and trash area of the restaurants on the next street. It was a little noisy with the college kids running around back there and the trash pickup in the morning. The beds were not the best (one of them has seen better days and should be changed out immediately). Pillows alternated between fluffy and harder so I had a good mix. Kuerig coffee machine was nice. The room had a very worn feeling to it, as did the hallways. There were blinds on the windows but no black out drapes, or drapes of any kind that could be pulled in front to keep out the light in the morning. The bathroom was okay but the shower/tub was difficult. I'm only 5'8" tall and i was taller than the shower head. Also, because it had been refitted, the step out of the shower is a bit farther to the floor than you anticipate. Elevators were very slow. Location is fine and I was able to walk everywhere. I would stay here again if the price was right but nothing encouraged me to come back so I might try another hotel next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts on your stay. Your feedback is important to us.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The Atherton Hotel staff in competent, professional and flexible to accommodate any size group. My company has never been disappointed with the quality of our stay. We always appreciate knowing the staff, especially Jessica, will do thier best to ensure our needs our met.

Don't skip Rumors Lounge- Karen makes a mean Bacardi cocktail. :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your compliments. We will pass along your comments to Karen and Jessica and appreciate your acknowledgement of these two hard working members of our staff. Thank you for your business and for your time in sharing your insight about your stay.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed in February on Valentine's Day weekend. Easy check in, easy parking, great, clean room. Close to everything in downtown State College. We will definitely stay again. The rates were also very reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments and for your patronage of the hotel. We will look forward to serving you again soon.