“Nice place”
Review of The Atherton Hotel

The Atherton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The lobby is very nice. Our room wasn't ready upon check-in so we grabbed a bite in the lobby bar. The food was good and the service friendly and quick. We checked back for our room and since it still wasn't ready, they asked us if wanted a handicapped room, which we accepted.

The room was clean and bright. The lightening was a little odd in the bathroom but fine. Later that night we came back and played pool in the bar. Again, the service was really friendly. Although it was only one night, our stay there was nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear happyfamilytrav,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at The Atherton Hotel. I sincerely thank you for your compliments to our bar and restaurant staff and will be sure to share your comments with them. Positive guest feedback is a great source of pride to all of us on staff at The Atherton. I do apologize that your room was not ready at the time of your arrival, but am very glad that we were able to provide a room that suited you. Please know we are currently in the process of making updates to the lighting in all of our guest room bathrooms as well as in our suites. I think you will like this improvement and it seems very timely with your feedback! Thank you again---your business is truly appreciated. Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great place to stay for Penn State graduation - convenient location and parking garage take a lot of stress out of the weekend. Welcoming, pleasant and very helpful staff. Rumors (bar) and Tarragon (restaurant) are not overcrowded, and an easy place to gather with friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MKO1

Dear MKO1,
Thank you for your comments and review and congratulations on having a recent graduate in your family! It is our greatest pleasure to have the opportunity to share in the lifetime and milestone events of so many guests and students and families associated with Penn State. I'm appreciative of knowing that you enjoyed staying with us close to campus and that you found the parking garage to be convenient as well. If we can ever be of assistance to your new PSU alumni in future return visits to Penn State, please feel welcome to call upon me directly. Thank you---your business is appreciated.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I grew up in Philipsburg and lived in State College for 10 years. I had always thought of The Atherton as State College's premier luxury hotel. While not being bad, it's far from what I would ever call a luxury hotel. The room's actually seemed a bit on the "cheap" side, with old wallpaper peeling, a very cheaply constructed fiberglass bathtub/shower, and just an overall feeling of a hotel that isn't being as well maintained as it could be.

So was it a bad experience? No, not whatsoever. My room was nevertheless quiet and reasonably clean. The mattresses felt a bit cheap, but I managed to get a decent night's sleep. Parking was an additional $7 per night. No breakfast included but I wanted to visit my favorite breakfast spot, the Waffle Shop, in the morning anyway.

Best thing about this hotel.... Location!! You can't beat it for being able to walk out of the door and walk around downtown. So I advise the owners to update sooner than later before savvy business people recognize and capitalize on the lack of a luxury hotel in downtown State College. It's only a matter of time.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a location which will enable you to walk throughout downtown State College...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Sim Z,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate every bit of guest insight and feedback and consider it one of our greatest tools in recognizing opportunities to improve and retrain where necessary. Although I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations in some aspects of your stay, I am very glad to know that you enjoyed the location and the chance to eat at some of your favorite downtown restaurants. We hope that you will consider The Atherton in future visits home to visit family and friends in the State College and Philipsburg areas. If there is anything I can do to try to earn back your business in the future, I invite you to contact me on my direct line 814-231-2100 ext 118. We would love to have you stay with us in the future. Thank you again.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I always try to stay at the Atherton whenever I go to Penn State to see my son who is a student there. The hotel has old world charm and is super convenient to downtown and campus. The rooms are always spotlessly clean and well appointed. The staff at the hotel always display a customer first attitude. I have already set a reminder in my phone for a year from now to try a get a room there for graduation. A+

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bfreier

Thank you so much for sharing your comments. We are always very pleased to have parents of Penn State students as our guests and I am so glad to know that you enjoy the hotel's downtown location close to campus. If I can be of any assistance to you in future reservations, and for graduation, I hope you will feel welcome to call upon me personally. Your patronage of our hotel is truly valued and it will be my pleasure to pass along your compliments to our housekeeping staff.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Can't beat the location unless you go to the Days Inn. Beds were a little uncomfortable for my taste. Overall, could use some updating, especially the bathrooms. Would still rather stay here than stay at a newer hotel further from downtown.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Justin S.,
Thank you for your time in sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at The Atherton. I am glad to know that you enjoyed the downtown location and the hotel overall and hope you will come back and see some of the many updates we have in the works. Please feel welcome to call upon me if I can ever be of assistance to you in the future and again thank you for your business.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Very clean with a very attentive staff. I love the location and I will stay here again and again. I come into town for business and The Atherton meets all of my requirements. I will come back on a weekend with my wife and I will stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bflofamily
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for your time in sharing your comments. We are happy to know that you enjoyed the hotel.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I recently organized an alumni weekend and meeting in State College, and Jessica Cox and her staff at the Atherton were my first choice. She had helped with several events for me in the past, and we certainly were not disappointed. Jessica and I were able to get everything scheduled, including a room block, meeting space, and breakfast with minimal emails. The morning of our meeting, the staff was friendly and helpful, and our room setup was absolutely perfect.

We have never had a bad experience here, and I will do everything that I can to continue to work with Jessica and her staff. I would highly recommend booking a group event here. The location and service can't be beat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Phil R

Dear Phil R.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent experience at our hotel and for your positive remarks and compliments about the service provided by Jessica in our Sales Department. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, the location, and planning your meetings. As a small independent business we are particularly appreciative of the many choices of hotels our guests have, and your repeat choice of The Atherton. Your insight and business are valued. Thank you.