“Overall a convenient, nice place to stay at Penn State”
Review of The Atherton Hotel

The Atherton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have been coming to Penn State every memorial weekend for years and this was our first time staying at the Atherton. The location is great! Was very nice to be able to walk right into town from the hotel. The lobby is spacious and nice to hang out with friends in. The rooms were clean. The other plus: every hotel in the area raised their prices for memorial day weekend this year knowing they had a captive audience with participants in the volleyball tournament. The Atherton did not do that, they were very reasonable. They also had fresh baked cookies every afternoon which was a nice touch.

The downsides: the beds were small and uncomfortable. The restaurant did not open early enough for breakfast when the girls needed to be at the volleyball venue early in the morning. Also, the service was very slow and the girls had to eat their food very fast by the time it came. The garage had plenty of parking but the garage was very narrow and winding and the spots were very small making it nerve wracking to maneuver through.

However, on the whole there were definitely more plusses than minuses and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

1  Thank wannatravelnow
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Wannatravelnow,
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay with us. Happy Volleyball weekend is a great event for the players, families, and for State College so we are very pleased to play our role in this important city wide event. I am so glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us for the most part, thought the rates were of value. We sincerely appreciate all of your feedback which will help us to quickly prioritize improvements that all guests can enjoy.

I'm sorry to know that our underground parking garage did not entirely meet the needs of your stay with the individual space size. This is an area where we are so glad to provide 5 levels of affordable parking in downtown, we just wish we had more of it! I genuinely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We have also arranged for additional parking at a nearby garage for overflow and hope you will consider that in future visits if it is more suitable to your needs. Our Front Desk will be happy to help with making those arrangements.

Thank you for your insight about the time of breakfast for this event. Tarragon opens at 6:30 am for full breakfast and we also offer Room Service for guests' convenience, as well as Grab and Go items such as bagel and cream cheese, muffins, whole fruit, granola bars etc. Because of your excellent insight however, we are also looking at working with the group's coordinators to offer to open earlier for breakfast time for players who require it.

Many thanks to you for your very valued business. We truly appreciate your insight and patronage. I hope you will visit us again and always feel welcome to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you when you're in the area.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Atherton is a lovely hotel conveniently located near all the shops and many of the athletic venues at Penn State. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is responsive and helpful.
We would stay there again

Room Tip: ask for a room with a refrigerator higher floors have more ac noise

Dear Terri M.,

Thank you for taking time to share your review of The Atherton. It's our great pleasure to have the opportunity to have Happy Volleyball players and families stay with us during this special unique event in State College and during the Memorial Day weekend. I'm really pleased to know that you found the location of the hotel to meet your needs for this busy weekend in making trips to the athletic venues convenient. Your room tips for other travelers are appreciated and helpful. On behalf of my staff, thank you for your business and for your comments.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Wonderful to have Kreig coffee in the am! Rebecca was our shuttle driver (great to know Hotel has Shuttle service for future events for walking around the town late in evening). Maid service was great! Bar staff was great! Front Desk was very helpful when arriving very late in the evening.

Room Tip: Great location, great price for the King Size room, clean, quiet and free parking!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear LHarris0930,

Thank you for your review of our hotel! I am very glad to know that you enjoyed the in-room Keurig coffee makers. Did you know that we also offer a variety of coffee flavors, tea, and hot chocolate for the Keurigs at our Front Desk? I will be sure to share your positive feedback with our front desk staff and shuttle driver and am glad that our around town shuttle provided you with convenience. I invite you to contact me any time if I can be of assistance to you and thank you again for your business, your compliments, and willingness to share your experience with other travelers.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Staying at the Atherton Hotel is a pleasure. Great hospitality at the front desk, very accommodating staff, clean, comfortable rooms and good food.Great location if you like to walk. Walk through town for a bite to eat, shopping and for an adventure visit the creamery and the arbortorium. I visit State College twice a year for training and the rooms are elegant with good technology and comfort.

Dear Marybeth S.,
Thank you very much for your comments and review. I am very pleased to know and honored that The Atherton is your home away from home during your regular business trips State College. It is wonderful that you are able to walk to so many terrific places in town and on campus and sounds like you really make the most of your visits to the area. Our staff is so appreciative of all guest feedback and insight. Thank you---We look forward to working for you again soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having stayed here at lease twice a year over the past three years, I would say this hotel is a great place to stay with friendly staff, great food, and comfortable, clean and large rooms, The location in State College can not be beat. It provides the ability to walk anywhere you want to go.
The staff is very professional and accommodate every request.

Dear DonnaRay 59,
Thank you for your review. It is always very special to hear from our regular guests. We appreciate not just your comments, but your continued patronage of the hotel. I am very glad to know that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. Thank you for sharing that you enjoyed the location, food, and comfort of your room and I hope that you got the chance to walk downtown while you were visiting with us. If I can ever be of assistance to you in State College please call me directly. I am always available to our guests. Thank you again.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My company holds our quarterly meeting here every quarter, we like the huge meeting rooms, very clean rooms, perfect bed, great food, very friendly people that do their job well. We are very pleased every time with service. Great location, walking distance to several restaurants. Just a good place to do business.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Eightyfour84,
Thank you so much for taking time to review your stay with us. Since a significant portion of our guests are traveling to us for conferences and meetings it is a great pleasure to know that we did our job well and that you were happy with your room, meeting space, our location, and food. Please know that your positive reinforcement to our staff is so meaningful. We will look forward to seeing you next quarter. Please feel welcome to contact me at my direct extension if I can ever be of service to you in the future: 814-231-2100 ext 118. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed four nights while attending a conference at PSU. As a frequent business traveler, I found it very clean, quiet and comfortable. The room was very large compared to hotels in larger cities. Internet connectivity was excellent.

The decor is very Pennsylvania, with interesting combinations of colors and patterns – a bit old-time eclectic and rather enchanting.

Dear Susanne j.,
Thank you for your lovely review. It is our first time being called enchanting on TripAdvisor and we truly appreciate the compliment. I will be sure to pass along your thoughts in our staff meeting where we review guest comments and reviews. Most importantly I'm very pleased to know that you enjoyed your four day stay with us and in State College. Please know that my staff and I are always available to you and if I can be of future assistance in arranging your stay it would be my pleasure to do so. Your business is of great value to us and I thank you again for your comments.