“Very Nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
Harrisburg, PA
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here with our family after a small wedding in the State College area. The Hotel was very nice, clean and the staff were very friendly.

We ate brunch at the hotel restaurant the next day. The prices were reasonable and the food was good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JMiller19
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your insight and for sharing your review. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the wedding you attended!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Fairfax VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Enjoyed my visit to the hotel. Very helpful & friendly staff. Rooms are well furnished, and the bathroom is spacious. I *really* liked that the window opens - it was nice having fresh air when the weather was good! Free wifi worked well. A/C is the old-fashioned manual kind (no thermostat), but it was reasonably quiet. Very nice lobby. Free cookies at the reception desk (although I had enjoyed enough of the Penn State ice cream parlor that I didn't try them).

The design of the hotel is somewhat strange - the entrance at street level is to a well-marked bank of elevators, to go up one floor to the reception desk. And I was somewhat surprised to be charged for parking, which is unusual outside big cities.

Only downside is the construction across the street was noisy - jackhammers got started precisely at 6am.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2015
Thank you for choosing The Atherton Hotel and for sharing your insight and review.

If I can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at mpb@athertonhotel.net.

Grimstad, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days conference in the university. Therefore I consider the location is perfect; eating places are in a walking distance. The staff is friendly, efficient, and try to find solution, e.g. try to organize a shuttle at 2 am for me, although formally it is outside of the normal shuttle service. The room is clean but I was not sure if vacuum cleaning is done regularly because I saw the same garbage on the floor (some pieces of potato chips) is still there for a couple days until I took myself. The elevator can access the room directly, since the lobby is in the next floor and therefore, I almost never meet the personnel in the lobby, except if I need something. Make sure to check again the bill because it seems the daily parking fees were added to the bill although I have mentioned that I didn't have car at all. It was fixed---but we need to recheck again because in my case, I still paid for one day. But in general it was OK stayed for me given the distance is so close to the main conference area in Penn State University. (It will be different of course, if the conference location on the opposite side of the university, this hotel will not be the closest one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Bound Brook, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

The Reservation Manager, Ed, worked closely with me to make arrangements for over 100 families, and went above and beyond to be sure we were all set when we came in for one of the busiest weekends of the season. Check in was easy, the staff was friendly and helpfull and made sure we had a pleasant stay. Good food, good service, clean rooms.... a great weeknd all around.... plus you can't beat the accessability to the campus venues and the downtown area with so many shops and resaurants. We've been staying at the Atherton for 9 years, and we look forward to coming back again next year!.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kym M

We were so pleased to be able to help with your large group and very much appreciate your public recognition of Ed in his helpfulness to you in making arrangements. Sometimes organizing for a large function can be a great deal of work for an individual--our group sales department and front desk are experienced in proving good service to groups of all sizes. Thank you for entrusting us with your special event.

New Haven, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Atherton Hotel for two weeks for a business trip. Despite being on the 6th floor I could hear the traffic on the street below quite clearly at 6 in the morning. They also have doors adjoining neighboring rooms. These doors seem paper thin in terms of sound muffling. I could hear every word from the people next door, which kept me up at night during their heated arguments.

The elevators in the hotel are painfully slow and poorly programmed. Out of the three elevators, only 1 (the eastern-most) will leave the A/B floor (the street level) to retrieve guests from the floors they're staying on. The other elevators stay at the A/B level regardless of how many people are requesting service at any given time. In the mornings, I resorted to taking the stairs instead of waiting literally ten minutes for the elevator to finally make its way to my floor.

If you need a receipt, make sure you get it (showing you've paid in full) before you leave! I've emailed them a few times now over the past few days and they don't respond to my emails.

Room Tip: Get a floor on the third level so you don't have to wait as long for the elevators!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Please accept my sincere apology for any issues you may have had with our elevators during your visit. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result. Please know that our elevators have recently been entirely refurbished and the hotel has contracted with a new service provider to provide reliable and excellent operations.

Harrison City, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was a good choice, as it is the closest hotel to the campus. My kids were able to come and go from campus to the hotel walking. The lobby area was very beautiful. The room was clean and spacious. The air conditioner was a little loud, but other than that, it was a great stay. I would choose this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Holly W
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Holly W.,
Thank you for your review and taking the time to share your comments with other travelers. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed the hotel and our location. If we can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please know that I am always available to guests on my direct line at extension 118. Thank you for your business and we will hope to have you visit us again.
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed with the Atherton for a business meeting. My position with our organization is to make all arrangements for the group. The Staff was so easy to work with, fulfilling all our needs. Everyone at the hotel is very pleasant. The dinner meal was delicious, and room accommodations clean and quiet. Plan on staying at the Atherton for our two business meetings next year.

Dear Christine L.,
Thank you for your comments and for letting us know that our staff served you well. We truly appreciate our conference guests and the opportunity to serve those coming to our area for business. If I can be of help to you during your future visits, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 814-231-2100 ext 118.