“The Best State College has to offer!”
Review of The Atherton Hotel

The Atherton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The staff was very accomodating, especially since we had over 100 people in our party. Check-in and check-out were smooth and without incident and everyone working at the Atherton was so kind. They allowed us to check in early which was a huge help. The hotel decor is elegant and the rooms were classy, clean and spacious. It was also very quiet at night - no noise heard from other rooms. I absolutely plan to stay here again for future visits to State College.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2015

Thank you for choosing The Atherton Hotel and for sharing your insight and review.

We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed our downtown location and that we can have the opportunity to serve you again in the future! Your compliments about the hotel and staff are genuinely appreciated.

If I can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at mpb@athertonhotel.net.

Best Regards,

Maggie Biddle

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Very good hotel and staff. Best location to downtown State College, very convenient. Would be my first choice for my next stay there. Hotel has free access to Penn State's outdoor and indoor pools. Clean room.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2015

Dear Jeffrey W,

Thank you so much for your very generous and complimentary review! We are delighted to hear from you and know that you enjoyed your time at The Atherton.

Best Regards,
Maggie Biddle

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have stayed at the Atherton the last 5 years for the arts festival in July. The hotel is GREAT, location is perfect for anything you want to do while you are there and the staff is excellent. They are always there to help in any way they can. The only drawback to the hotel is the lack of WiFi service. One minute you have it and the next minute you don't. This was like this the entire stay. It was reported to the staff and they said it has been a problem for quite sometime. I've never had a problem like this at any of the other hotels I've stayed at when I've been there. This should not happen at such a nice hotel.

Room Tip: A great place to stay other that the Wifi problem.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank William P
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for choosing The Atherton Hotel and for sharing your insight. I am sorry for any inconvenience that you experienced with our wi-fi. We have recently contracted with a new provider to correct and improve our free to guest internet service. Thank you again for your business and we will hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stay at the Atherton a number of times every year and am always pleased. This trip I was delayed by many hours due to a bad accident on the highway. I contacted the hotel and explained that I might not even make it. They were so accommodating, recognizing that my possible cancellation would be out of my control and easing my mind. I made it however, and was warmly welcomed. Great breakfast in the dining room the next morning too. I will return!

• Stayed: July 2014
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are so pleased to know that your enjoyed your stay and our staff. We will look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

It was nice being right in town, and the lobby is nice. I gave it a lower rating because the hotel needs a lot of upgrades. We had 2 rooms and the bathrooms are old and the doors don't close properly. The air conditioning is noisy and the windows should be replaced to keep out the sounds. I didn't expect this from such a pricey hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

We want to thank you for your business and feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to make any adjustments or corrections during your stay so that we can insure your happy visit to happy valley! Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience due to downtown sounds and noises.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

YES the Hotel is a little dated, However it is far better than the rating it has on TA ?
The staff are excellent, willing to help in any way they can, We stayed on the 6th floor and found our room to be quiet, in good condition with a very comfortable bed.
The air conditioning was noisy (no different than others in older hotels), but acted as "white noise". The location is excellent in that you can walk to restaurants and it has it's own car park in downtown State College, additionally has a bar and its own restaurant.
It certainly has it's quirks, but overall a good choice and quite charming.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ceilings

Thank you for your comments and insight. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your willingness to share your feedback with other travelers!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Old school hotel with the expected Penn State charm. Bed was comfy. Bathroom was large but a little dated. A/C worked just fine. Close to everything PSU. Staff were wonderful, pleasant & very helpful. The biggest problem were the slow elevators. And if you consider that a problem ( which I don't really consider a problem), then this was one outstanding hotel!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Jody,
Thank you so much for your compliments about our hotel. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay in Downtown State College. Please know that this very week we have had the care of our elevators changed to a new company and we see that this has already made all the difference in their speed. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Please feel welcome to contact me personally any time you are returning to the area so that I can provide any assistance you may require with future reservations. Best Regards, Maggie Biddle