“Very nice stay”

Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in State College
Pittsburgh, PA
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed 17 November 2007

My son and I were visiting Penn State and just needed a nice place nearby in which to stay. And the Super 8 was perfect. In fact, it surpassed my expectations because I know of some other Super 8 locations that are not so nice.

Here are the things I appreciated: the TV; shower; heater; free breakfast; free newspaper, free coffee, fruit and cookies in lobby at all times; helpful front desk; just the general cleaniness of the place.

Things that bothered me: I hate when the sink and shower/toilet are separated; I booked there because of the hot tub and the area was closed due to putting in a new floor.

More specifically:

The breakfast of bagels, rolls, yogurt, cereal, coffee, juice, etc., was more than adequate. Front desk gal explained the bus service to the Penn State campus. A bus stops nearby. Oh yea, there is great Perkins Restaurant next to the hotel.

I did not smell anything terrible as mentioned in a couple of previous reviews. Not even a hint of cigarette smoke.

And the rate was only a little more than 50 bucks.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Sink and shower are separate
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Sybernet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
NE Ohio
Reviewed 26 August 2007

The first room they put me in smelled like a wet, dirty dog (the hotel does allow pets, so a dog must have been staying there prior to
me). I asked to be moved, and was quickly accomodated. The next room was cleaner, but the A/C left the room feeling pretty swampy by the end of the weekend. Overall, I'd say it's a "you get what you pay for" hotel. Cheap, mostly clean, budget kind of place.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank annc123
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 18 July 2007

This was a good, basic hotel with services that I would call "very good". However, the smell of cigarette smoke was everywhere from the lobby to the hallway on my floor. My room was on a floor that had half smoking rooms and half non-smoking rooms. Not a good combination as the smoke drifted everywhere.

• Liked — big room, good air conditioner, good location
  • Disliked — smell of cigarette smoke everywhere
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Luv2Travel908
Enschede
Reviewed 22 June 2007

We stayed at the Super 8 Motel in State College for two nights and have zero complaints. We were with two adults and three children. They gave us a room that was bigger than any other room we have ever had, including family or convenience rooms. The room had nothing fancy, but was clean, pleasant and quiet, and that's all we really care for. Breakfast was good. High-speed internet worked fine. The desk personnel was helpful and friendly. And the costs were really low. This was an experience that changed our perception of Super 8 Motels, which we never considered to go to before. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Overall service to guests and amazing price-quality ratio
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Hollyfamily
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 18 June 2007

I read some good reviews of this hotel, and the pictures looked nice online, so take that with the $49.98 I paid for it, I thought it was a win-win situation.

My troubles started when I called to ask for directions. This hotel is hidden behind a Perkins, and I was checking in very late at night so I could not for the life of me find the hotel from Atherton Street. I called the front desk to ask for specific directions as I knew where I was, and the girl COULD NOT provide me with directions. She did not even know where the Ramada was--where I was calling from, and it turned out that the Ramada was not even a half mile down the street! I should have just stayed there, I would have had a much more enjoyable night! How could you employ a front desk attendant who cannot even give directions to the hotel from a half mile down the road on the same road the hotel is located?

I finally found the hotel through the help of a random guest who was in the lobby and overheard her call and offered his assistance. When I arrived, it was 12:30 am, I was extremely tired, and all I wanted to do was go to my room and fall asleep. However, instead of providing a speedy, easy check in, the same girl at the desk insisted on selling me enrollment into their frequent travelor program or something along those lines. I told her repeatedly that I'm not interested, that I rarely stay at Super 8's, it was late, and asked if she could please just check me in. Instead, she continued with the sales pitch.

Finally, after 20 minutes of dealing with check in, I made it to my room. The room was much worse than expected. I have stayed at my fair share of one star hotels, and was expecting something basic, but at least clean and comfortable. The room had nasty green carpeting, stains on the walls, a hole for a bathroom with a leaky toilet, and some strange wooden structure for hanging your clothes that looked like it belonged in some ski lodge from the 70's. Everything in the room, including the sheets felt damp. I did not even dare to look at the sheets, as they clearly looked stained, and I slept with my clothes on.

So in closing, if its a football game weekend and you need a place to crash, only choose this hotel if all your other options are exhausted. I was there on an off weekend in June, and it was a mess. I wish I would have dropped another $30.00 to stay at the Hampton Inn or Comfort Suites, it would have been well worth it. I still feel my skin crawling after staying in this place.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the front desk staff, the room, pretty much everything
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these State College hotels

PITTSBURGH, PA
Reviewed 5 July 2006

I stayed at the Super 8 July 3-5. I was presently surprised that it was nicer than expected seeing as it is a one star hotel. We were pleasantly greeted upon arrival and our room was fine (no bugs or anything like that).. although the rooms were not equipped with blow dryers and irons, we were able to get them from the front desk without a problem. The previous review talked about the fitness room... and there are only a few treadmills and a weight machine.. but when I was in there, there was Clorox clean up wipes to use on the machines and I was told prior to, that the hot tub was being repaired and the door to it was locked. But to get a fitness room at all for $59 a night is a treat in itself. They also offer complimentary cookies, coffee, tea, and fruit 24 hrs a day plus free continental breakfast with danishes, bagels, and cereal. Its located right behind Perkin's and next door to a shopping plaza with Ponderosa and Applebee's across the street at the intersection of University Drive and S Atherton St... quick 5-7 min ride to PSU campus.

I enjoyed my stay at the Super 8 and as a PSU alum I've seen a lot State College hotels have to offer and this is now one place I am sure to return to.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank Phoenix624
Eastern Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2006

Type of travel I do is business, staying for 2 weeks plus a few days, usually. I was able to obtain a room with kitchenette, which sounded great, especially on ground floor since I'm in and out all day every day. My other usual requirements are high-speed internet and a working treadmill.
Kitchenette: Functioning 2-burner electric stovetop with small sink. Sink faucet sprayed water around everywhere. Both burners worked. There was a combination light and fan hood with 2 speeds over the stove. Below that stainless steel cooktop sink combo was a refrigerator. The door did not close well on the frig, and therefore, on several occasions had to use my Caphalon frying pan to knock away the ice build-up so I could use the freezer unit. No cooking utensils were supplied. No microwave was supplied. There was a storage cabinet over the "kitchenette."
Exercise facilities: there is an exercise room available between 7 am and 10 pm. There were 2 treadmills, a Nordic Trak and another brand. The 2nd one was totally broken. The Nordic Trac worked, but was very noisy. There was also an elliptical and a multiple-purpose weights unit, neither of which I used. There was a toilet area but no facilities in it, and no cleaning supplies or towels were available for cleaning up the equipment either before or after use. I mentioned that to the desk personnel several times and always received a pleasant and positive reply, but no action. On several occasions, I returned to my room to get something with which to remove the large spots on the machine from some previous sweaty user. The treadmill was pushed up all the way to a large mirror, so I also exercised my jaws making faces at myself since there was no other view available. Discovered after some complaints that the motel had an adjoining room with a small somewhat decrepit sauna and a hot tub/jacuzzi. Tried the sauna a few times but it was not particularly pleasant to use. I don't use public hot tubs, so didn't try it. Others seemed to be pleased with it.
High speed internet: This worked well. About 3 times during my stay the router had to be reset and there seemed to be only one staff member who knew how to do that, but fortunately, she was available frequently.
The main annoyance was that the Cingular cell phone service (there may be others as well) did not work AT ALL inside the building. THis is odd, because I believe that Cingular is used by some PSU departments and it did work elsewhere throughout State College and beyond. Just not INSIDE the Super 8 motel. So one could frequently observe guests (myself included) standing or ambling about the parking lot talking on the phone. It was possible to sit near the doorways (outdoors, not in) while using the phone, provided one leaned far enough out to get service.
Making calls could be accomplished, outdoors. Hwever, if you are a traveller who needs to RECEIVE calls on your Cingular cell phone, try a different facility.

Stayed June 2006