“Room with dirty bathroom and stink bug”

Super 8 State College
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times but the last time was the worst. The bathroom was very unclean and the toilet rim was extremely dirty as if it was never cleaned. The towels quality is very bad. I also found a bug on the water faucet, when I took it to the receptionist he identified it as a stink bug.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marwa A

Reviewed 3 June 2013

The good: Great location, no hassle check-in/out, decent no cost breakfast, comfortable bed with clean linens. Price was very reasonable.
The not-so good: Bathroom was not properly cleaned. Previous travelers deposits on rim of toilet, hair in shower, chair with large stains on seat, light switches and door around handles with grey/black fingerprints and markings. Although it did not affect my stay, furniture was old with stains and chips. Had to place all of the lights in the room on to read, very dark.
Comfortable after I purchased some lysol wipes at a local store and did some housekeeping for a piece of mind.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Psumom N
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Just stayed for one night and was apprehensive about the place. The price was great and was only there for a PSU pick up but still, Super 8=meh. We pull into parking lot and it smelled strongly of manure (ruh roh) and was packed with work trucks. Thinking what did I get myself into we walked into the lobby and was met with a very pleasant desk clerk. Got our key and found our room to be totally acceptable. Beds were comfortable, TV worked and had several channels, bathroom was clean and area was roomy. Please don't be expecting deluxe appointments, it is a low priced offering, but expect acceptable, especially if your stay is short. My son did not want to eat the free breakfast included, as he thought it would not live up to his expectations, but since I was trying to save money we ate there and again was very satisfied with what we received. It's no major buffet but again, acceptable and appreciated for the price. So a filling meal and a good night sleep for under 100 dollars - not too bad. In fact I would definitely stay there again. Great bargain and conveniently located. Oh and about the manure smell, it was actually one of the trucks parked for the night and everything smelled fine in the morning. Not the hotels fault.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
TSilfies, General Manager at Super 8 State College, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful comments on your stay. We do take great pride to deliver a comfortable and clean guest experience at a great value. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I was attending a volleyball tournament at Penn State and was not able to find anything within 30 miles of the place, until this became available a week before the trip. I was happy at the time to have saved myself a good bit of travel time but that quickly soured within the first 10 minutes after my arrival.

After being given my room key, I proceeded to open the door to my room only to find out that someone was already in there. Well, at least their luggage and accessories were there. Fortunately nobody was actually in the room at the time! I returned to the front desk who politely apologized and told me the room across the hall was the one I should have been given the key to. Needless to say, I was sure to double bolt my door at night to make sure I was not a victim of a similar mistake.

Upon entering my room, there was a noticeably smoky odor and I did not need to look far to see the ashtray next to the TV to indicate that I this was not a non-smoking hotel. Aside from that, there were none of the basic amenities that I've come to find in every other hotel I have ever stayed at, including no mini-fridge, no microwave, and no ironing board or iron.

On the plus side, the bed was decent, there was a working TV (and remote) and the bathroom was serviceable. If I would have tried some of the cookies at the front desk, maybe the review would have been better as others seemed to enjoy them. I doubt that a poor review will affect the number of people staying at this hotel/motel as the parking lot was packed each night during my stay.

Another benefit is that it is not far from the main campus and is easy access to many restaurants/shopping in the area.

1  Thank Robert M

Please accept my sincere apology. It is very disappointing to learn that your stay was not satisfying. I am also very embarrassed that you were issued an incorrect guestroom key. I spoke to the desk staff on duty that night placing emphasis on guest safety and issuing room keys. I am also very sorry that you were given a smoking room. We were not able to change your room to a non smoking due to being sold out. Currently we only have refrigerators and microwaves available in our efficiency style rooms and irons and ironing boards are available at the front desk. It is nice to hear that you did find the bed accommodations, tv, and bathroom to your liking. Regarding your comments on cookies, absolutely, next time try the cookies. They are baked fresh daily and available at check in. Again, I hope you will accept my apology on your stay. Please contact me personally when booking your next reservation. Thank you.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

Reviewed 30 May 2013

The staff here wasn't friendly at all. When we arrived the lady at the front desk was right out front of the entrance doors smoking and blew it in our faces... DISGUSTING and RUDE!!!!! They really didn't even treat their guests with a warm friendly feeling. The front desk staff just had no personality at all and really can be a turn off. The grass needed to be cut, it was kind of high and there were no doggie bags or welcome for the dogs for a $25 per night, per dog pet fee.
The beds were too small, the shower was old. The only good thing about the stay was the room was clean.

1  Thank dpgwhitt

Please accept my apology that your stay was not satisfying. I am very embarrassed to hear your comments on the staff. This is not the typical feedback heard from our guests. I spoke to the front desk clerk on duty and the emphasis was placed on customer courtesy and exceeding the guest expectation. We do allow pets with a one time per stay fee of $25. Thank you for the suggestion on providing doggie bags and welcome treats. I think that this is a wonderful idea. I am very happy to hear that your room accommodations were clean and enjoyable. It is my hope that you will consider trying us again. Please contact me personally when booking your next stay. Thank you.

A Wyndham traveler