“Excellent, helpful staff”

Hampton Inn State College
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 27 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton Inn this past weekend. On Sunday night the desk attendant gave me excellent service. First, he printed up a Google Map to help me find the best way to I-80. Then, he brought over newly baked cookies to me at the computer. The next day when I found out that there was a big accident on I-80, two other staff members worked on their desk computers to get more information for me before we hit the road. I would definitely stay at this hotel again just because of this wonderful staff. Oh, by the way, the room and breakfast were great as well!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 February 2011

Stayed here on a business trip for 2 nights. I wanted a simple "nice" Hampton-type hotel, and I was more than pleased. Nice room, lots of parking, staff was pleasant.

It was close to the "downtown" but not really enough to walk so park at a downtown parking garage (there were many) if you want to eat or shop down there.

The only possible downside I can imagine would be being so close to the stadium on a game day, but I guess those weekends the hotel is probably filled with football fans anyway.

Great bang for your buck.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Nice place and very reasonable rates. The front desk staff were all very pleasant and accommodating. The free breakfast bar offered a wide selection of items. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2011

A no frills hotel... room was surprisingly comfortable, cozy and clean. Staff at the front desk was welcoming and warm. Complimentary breakfast is nothing to be excited about, but does the trick. Coffee 24/7 is a great+. The TVs are nice flat screens with HD, not bad for a Hampton Inn. Location is close to downtown state college, but unfortunately you can't really walk there even though it's only about 1.5 miles out, because part of the E college ave leading there does not have sidewalks. Plenty of parking. The fitness center had 3 exercising machines (cycle, treadmill and elliptical)
I enjoyed my stay and will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 December 2010

This hotel is well situated if you are attending an event on Penn State's campus. The hotel is easy to reach and has a front desk staff that welcomes you warmly. The lobby is a nice place to relax and read a book. An OK restaurant for dinner shares the parking lot.

On the negative side, my room was quite small and looked out directly on the parking lot. As such, for any privacy, I needed to keep the shades drawn. Breakfast was adequate but not great. Yes for bagels, waffles, etc. But the only eggs were premixed with meat and did not look all that good. The TV was also older and the bathroom items were low budget.

There are other hotel options in the area, which I have stayed in and may select in the future. However, this hotel is one of the best in terms of proximity to campus.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
sceclhx, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2010

Thank you very much for staying with us and your comments regarding our location. We enjoy having guests stay with us if you are in town on business or leisure! In regards to your room size, it is a possibility that you were booked into one of our single rooms, which are smaller than a double/double or king size rooms. They do offer the same amenities as a full size room, but at a better price for a single traveler. Currently, we offer 32" LCD televisions in every guestroom with free Showtime and HD content available on most channels.

Please feel free to contact me for any future stays and I will be happy to personally assist with your reservation.

Best regards,
Steven Morgan
Director of Sales

Reviewed 19 November 2010

this hotel is not in the "experience" business. For a hundred bucks we got a comfortable (if a bit small for a Hampton), tidy, pleasant room with no surprises and a great deal to like. There were a couple of unusual bright spots, I thought. the coffee pots are on day and night and if you wake up t two A.M. with a mad urge for fruit. . yeah fruit, like an apple, or a banana, or whatever, you'll find lots of 'em down in the lobby. A Damon's restaurant shares the parking lot and if you feel like buying a Jeep, or something you can do that across the street.

Lot of business guys. Good spot.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I have nothing bad to say!! Great stay! Great staff! Clean rooms! I was even allowed to check in early! Thank You!!!

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple