“Not good”

Hampton Inn State College
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stay in 50+ Hampton Inns/year around the country.The front desk staff is good and means well, however this hotel has bad management....clearly. Two mornings in a row there were no eggs. three mornings in a row there was no hot water at the coffee bar. Other typical breakfast items were not available. I complained to the manager two days in a row, left my phone & room number, told him I was a Diamond member and never got a call back...odd and ridiculous. Dirty towels I left on my sink and in my bath tub were still there when i returned the next night. there was a shirt hanging on the back of my bathroom door when I checked in. The chairs in the rooms sit too low. How does this Hampton meet the Hilton high standards? I have stayed at Hampton Inns all over the US, including small rural areas, and the breakfast service and maid service here are thoroughly substandard.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank onthemove777

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed one night on a business trip. Switched at the last minute from the Holiday Inn Express and was a little bit disappointed, to be perfectly honest. I'll give the HIE a shot next time since it seems to be better-liked, plus I've stayed there before and enjoyed it.

The pluses:

- The rooms are clean and neat.
- The interior appears to have been renovated.
- The gym is above-average for a 2/3-star hotel.
- Nice updated TV.

The minuses:

- The exterior makes this place look like a cheap motel.
- The bed is a double - most other similar hotels I've stayed at have at least a queen.
- The TV is useless in inclement weather: DirecTV doesn't do well in a thunderstorm and I just got that "lucky" on the worst day possible - the day that Brazil and Germany played in a World Cup semifinal. Glad I brought my iPad... I realize that Hampton has no control over the weather, don't get me wrong - but what it does have control over is the vendor. Perhaps in an area where it rains, thunderstorms, snows, etc, cable would have been more warranted than satellite. As a guest, I don't really care about hearing legitimate excuses as to why the TV works - I just need it to work.
- I'm a Gold member and that went entirely unrecognized upon arrival. Don't get me wrong, I can do without the bottle of water and granola bar, but still, not really up to Hilton's standards.
- I got stuck in a room right next to the stairs. That would have been fine, but people seem to use the staircase to smoke with all that entails...
- The room didn't have a fridge which would have been eminently useful.
- The bath towels were probably the lowest-quality I've ever used in a hotel of this level.

Honestly, I doubt I'll be back. My previous experience with Hampton has gotten me accustomed to better accommodations and there are just better hotels in town - especially at $140/night.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms close to the staircase unless you don't mind smelling smoke in your roo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have been staying at the Hampton Inn in Williamsport PA for years now, so I guess we are spoiled. This location has none of the personal warmth that the other location has, and because of the volumes of people coming for sports events in the area, parts of the hotel could use some updating. There is no "store" off the front desk to purchase food, drinks, toiletries, etc.--only vending machines. The pool is outside, and the breakfast area is right in the lobby, nothing to separate it from the business end of checking in and checking out. They do not have queen size beds, only doubles. Queen size beds have become standard in most hotels. This hotel is just average.

Room Tip: Parking lot is normally full because of the amount of guests, and the Damons restaurant next door.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This Hampton Inn is located near Penn State. It has nice décor and linens, and newer carpeting throughout. For breakfast there are different hot and cold breakfast selections, including eggs, breakfast meat and potatoes, cereals, fruit, breads and waffles. The breakfast area has a variety of seating options and is nicely decorated. There is a good size outdoor private pool with lounges.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

No real eminities. Fitness room machines poor. Room smelled. Pool is outside not inviting. Staff including manager was unproffessional while dealing with noise compliant. Room was adequate and clean. Breakfast was average but fruit was not fresh.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
RyanHIExp, General Manager at Hampton Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Andrew N,

Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay was below par and that you were not satisfied after speaking with one of our managers after a noise complaint. I would be happy to discuss more with you anytime if you would like to call me. To achieve guest satisfaction is our highest priority and again I apologize that you did not feel we delivered this to you.

Ryan Saal - General Manager

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Three night stay visiting college. Hotel was clean, staff very friendly and rate was in excellent condition for the price. Complementary breakfast and wifi was included. I would definitely stay again.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Very nice place conveniently located to some key parts of the Penn State campus and to the major access roads. Have stayed here several times on business and have never had a bad experience. Damon's Restaurant is right out front, which offers a nice dining option. The breakfast layout is fairly spacious and a good selection offered. Room clean. Overall no problems. Unless the price goes up, it will continue to be my first Penn State-business option.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business