“OK but will not be returning.”

Hampton Inn State College
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in State College
Brandon, Mississippi
“OK but will not be returning.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

A little bit below your standard Hampton Inn. Currently staying for a week on business (Diamond HH member), but not at all impressed by the noise coming from the "bike night" at the restaurant which shares the parking lot. The front desk, who did not seem to be that concerned told me that the live music ends at 7 (it is now 8) and is making it a little hard for this business traveler to work.

Will stay at a different hotel next time I am in town and advise my colleagues to do the same.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Middletown, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at many Hamptons before with exceptional appearance and cleanliness however this one was below standard. Arrived Sunday around 4pm and on the first floor leading to our room were several service cleaning carts that the maid service uses and also a cot in the hall standing upright. Not very appealing. Carpet in the hall was very stained with dehumidifiers running. Room itself was ok but cobwebs on the window shades, just looked a little worn down. No room service ever performed on Monday while we were out at a PSU visit 9am -4pm. Full house Tuesday morning at breakfast, coffee kept running out. Average at best.

• Stayed July 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My family of four loved this hotel. The breakfast was amazing and fresh! We will be back whenever we are in the area again. We loved fact that there were restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (same parking lot really). I hope that this review helps you in your decisions.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Summit, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My kids and I were visiting Penn State for the Arts Festival. We have stayed at the Hampton Inn before. Overall the hotel was good. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean. The pool area was just okay. The pool itself was clean and nice. The chairs were old and needed to be cleaned off. My son has a severe milk protein allergy. The only complaint I have is that the hotel was not allergy compliant at all. The breakfast is included in our rate and my son could only have hard boiled eggs. The staff was friendly and tried to help but had no ingredients on the bread, the bagels, or the English muffins. THey could not even show me a cereal box with ingredients. In this age of so many food allergies, I find that unacceptable. So if you have an allergy in your family call ahead and make arrangements for breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stay in 50+ Hampton Inns/year around the country.The front desk staff is good and means well, however this hotel has bad management....clearly. Two mornings in a row there were no eggs. three mornings in a row there was no hot water at the coffee bar. Other typical breakfast items were not available. I complained to the manager two days in a row, left my phone & room number, told him I was a Diamond member and never got a call back...odd and ridiculous. Dirty towels I left on my sink and in my bath tub were still there when i returned the next night. there was a shirt hanging on the back of my bathroom door when I checked in. The chairs in the rooms sit too low. How does this Hampton meet the Hilton high standards? I have stayed at Hampton Inns all over the US, including small rural areas, and the breakfast service and maid service here are thoroughly substandard.

1 Thank onthemove777
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed one night on a business trip. Switched at the last minute from the Holiday Inn Express and was a little bit disappointed, to be perfectly honest. I'll give the HIE a shot next time since it seems to be better-liked, plus I've stayed there before and enjoyed it.

The pluses:

- The rooms are clean and neat.
- The interior appears to have been renovated.
- The gym is above-average for a 2/3-star hotel.
- Nice updated TV.

The minuses:

- The exterior makes this place look like a cheap motel.
- The bed is a double - most other similar hotels I've stayed at have at least a queen.
- The TV is useless in inclement weather: DirecTV doesn't do well in a thunderstorm and I just got that "lucky" on the worst day possible - the day that Brazil and Germany played in a World Cup semifinal. Glad I brought my iPad... I realize that Hampton has no control over the weather, don't get me wrong - but what it does have control over is the vendor. Perhaps in an area where it rains, thunderstorms, snows, etc, cable would have been more warranted than satellite. As a guest, I don't really care about hearing legitimate excuses as to why the TV works - I just need it to work.
- I'm a Gold member and that went entirely unrecognized upon arrival. Don't get me wrong, I can do without the bottle of water and granola bar, but still, not really up to Hilton's standards.
- I got stuck in a room right next to the stairs. That would have been fine, but people seem to use the staircase to smoke with all that entails...
- The room didn't have a fridge which would have been eminently useful.
- The bath towels were probably the lowest-quality I've ever used in a hotel of this level.

Honestly, I doubt I'll be back. My previous experience with Hampton has gotten me accustomed to better accommodations and there are just better hotels in town - especially at $140/night.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms close to the staircase unless you don't mind smelling smoke in your roo...
Trenton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have been staying at the Hampton Inn in Williamsport PA for years now, so I guess we are spoiled. This location has none of the personal warmth that the other location has, and because of the volumes of people coming for sports events in the area, parts of the hotel could use some updating. There is no "store" off the front desk to purchase food, drinks, toiletries, etc.--only vending machines. The pool is outside, and the breakfast area is right in the lobby, nothing to separate it from the business end of checking in and checking out. They do not have queen size beds, only doubles. Queen size beds have become standard in most hotels. This hotel is just average.

Room Tip: Parking lot is normally full because of the amount of guests, and the Damons restaurant next door.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family