“Nice hotel”

Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in State College
Newark, Delaware
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

It is a nice hotel and rooms are good. Nothing is really spectacular, but it is comfortable. The staff is very friendly. It is a nice exterior and some pretty spaces inside. The hot tub is nice, but for some reason the main powerful jets pretty much shoot up your crotch. Not sure if that design was on purpose. Meeting spaces are nice, we had breakfast buffets arranged for our group and somethings were good (bacon, pastries, banana bread french toast) some were surprisingly bad (especially the bagels...not sure how you screw them up so badly, we get grocery store frozen bagels that are way better). We had a dinner buffet for us as well, and it was a pretty good meal.

One thing, I saw another reviewer complain about was the noise. I did not have a problem at night, but could definitely see that happening. The walls seemed pretty sound-proof, but the doors were definitely on the extreme end of allowing noise through. Walking down the halls, you can here people's quiet conversations very clearly. It stood out to me more than any other hotel I have stayed. It seems strange for an old hotel to have sound-proof walls (because they would be very difficult to improve through renovation) and have such weak doors, which would be comparatively so much easier to upgrade).

I went to their sister hotel to use the pool and it was nice.

It is a nice area, I loved hiking and biking at Rothrock state forest (by Tussey ski mtn.)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Philadelphia
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I remember the food as very good, but what stood out in my mind (and still does) is their FAMOUS Lobster Bisque!! (Now I found the recipe since I don't live in SC anymore). I dream of this soup at night....so good. I have tried many locations' lobster bisque, and this one is still tops.

Service was attentive and staff was courteous.

Can you get that my review states you should try the Lobster Bisque?? :-)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Nittany Lion Inn, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Alanna, thank you so very much for the vote of approval! We are pretty proud of our lobster bisque and so glad that it was as good as you remembered it. Even though you can now make it at home, you are always welcome to come back at any time so all you have to do is relax and enjoy. Thanks for stopping in!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We have lived in State College for awhile and have been in the restaurants multiple times, and we've had visiting family stay here overnight, but this was OUR first time actually staying there. My hotel experience here has justified the buzz about the hotel that circulates here in Happy Valley.

Upon arrival, no doormen were outside, unlike the other times I've been to the hotel for a university-related event. But the receptionist greeted us warmly and chatted with us in a way that showed genuine interest in why we were staying and what we were doing in State College. The newly revamped lobby areas are gorgeous and really make you feel that you are in a nice place.

Our room is the basic model. The furniture is very attractive, and the blue-and-white scheme really underscores the Penn State connection. Our room was neither cramped nor spacious. It's very clean (the bathroom is especially clean), though some of the linens have some permanent staining (nothing too bad). The television is new and good-quality. It took us awhile to locate the ice bucket, but it was there. The alarm clock and hair dryer could need to be updated, but they work just fine. The wifi is easy to use and lightning-fast. I like the full-length mirror in a convenient place for getting ready.

We ate at Whiskers (the bar area) for dinner, as the hotel's dining room was too formal and stuffy for our mood last night, as we were tired and wanted to feel comfortable. Whiskers was great; good service, great views of a pretty courtyard, and decent beer selection. (Try the local beers, like Elk Creek or Otto's!) The food was hot, fresh, good, and plentiful. The lobster bisque is their specialty; if you like cream-based soups, it's delicious. My husband loves their meatloaf.

I don't know why it's rated so low among the hotels in State College. It's the best place if you want to feel what Penn State is really like. I hope to come again.

Room Tip: See if you can get a view of the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Shawna, we appreciate your feedback and are so glad you were able to experience the tradition of "Penn State's Living Room"! We are working to revitalize the rooms, including the arrival of new clock radios with ipod docking stations and welcome any additional suggestions you may have for an improved experience. We hope to have you as our guest again soon!
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Nittany Lion Inn was very tastefully decorated and service was great. We had a nice room tucked away that was quiet and very pretty. We were in town for Arts Fest and were able to walk onto campus and also walk to the Blue Loop so that we could ride the bus to the stadium.

Service was great in the hotel. The restaurant was disappointing in both service and quality of food. I wouldn't both eating a meal at the hotel. You'll have plenty of choices in town. There is also a graduate building within walking distance that serves food and also has Starbuck's coffee. So it's a great morning spot!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I am here on a Saturday and woke too too early from the loud redneck house keeping staff, they are so rude that I cannot sleep. I would have really appreciated the opportunity to sleep in and enjoy a peaceful weekend, but not here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tim A
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We've often gone to the Arts Festival and have always had to select a hotel not within walking distance of the town and university. This time we tried the Nittany Lion Inn, on campus. We did pay a bit more, but it was worth it. It was so nice not to have to fight for parking and just walk wherever we wanted. The town of State College and the PSU campus are better appreciated when you can walk instead of drive.

The hotel itself was very nice, with great customer service. I don't understand some of the more critical reviews here because our room was nice and in great shape. The front desk was pleasant, efficient and accomodating. Yes, breakfast isn't included and the buffet Sunday morning was very expensive. But this isn't a budget hotel so we weren't surprised. I have to say the buffet itself was outstanding. The exercise room also looked nice and we wanted to take advantage of it but didn't have the time.

This is where we're going to stay from now on for the Arts Fest. Very pleased!

Tempe
Reviewed 18 July 2012

As a native of State College, alum of Penn State, we were excited to stay at the hotel where we had our wedding reception 28 years ago. Alas it was just average. Pillows and linens middle quality, box spring not covered, air/heat noisy, front desk spotty. They really need trained! 4 people to open door and none of them helped my husband who walks with a cane. We stayed 6 nights so I was hopeful I would see better front desk service. Example: both of our keys did not open the room so I went back to front desk. First comment was did I have the key next to my cell phone, no I responded, what about my wallet magnet.....really, just tell me we can fix that easily with a smile.

What did work: our housekeeper was very friendly, the room service was inexpensive, timely and good, location is great.

The Inn has the potential to be much better if they would take care of some of the room appointments and have lobby staff more flexible to help with luggage. We travel all over the world and this hotel in not excellent but is average with a great location.

1 Thank nittanyTempe
Thank you so much for taking the time to reflect on your experience with us! All feedback is invaluable to us so we may continue to improve and provide the best experience for our guests! I apologize that your service expectations were not met and we hope to have the opportunity to give you a better stay on your next return to State College. Please be sure to take advantage of our complimentary valet service during your visits and our Guest Services team is certainly happy to take your luggage to your room for you. If we may ever assist with specific needs prior to your arrival, please email us at concierge@psu.edu and we will be happy to take care of you. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you at another time!