There are not many downsides to this hotel, if any. It is located on the (quiet) edge of PSU campus, but you don't have to drive through campus to get to it. It is easy to find, and the staff are friendly, helpful, and not pretentious. Even though you are not on the main street downtown, you will not mind because State College is small, easy to walk, and this hotel has a free shuttle.
The rooms are very comfortable, come with everything you need (Keurig coffeemaker, mini-fridge, etc). It is handy to have a bar/restaurant downstairs, and they have an outside patio that anyone can use (I wasn't asked to purchase in the bar to use the patio). There is a free shuttle service, which means that they will pick up or drop off anyone that asks for it, no matter where in town you need to go. Yes, you read that correct. I asked three times if I heard them correct. So, if you add up the cost of parking and in-town transportation alone, you are saving a bunch of money.
Non-football weekends are half the cost of football-weekends, as is the case with every single place in State College on a PSU football weekend. If you don't care about football, then avoid State College in its entirety on a football weekend (and yes, it is worth checking on this!).
I can't really think of a reason why you would not want to stay here. In comparison to the several other hotels that are available in town, this one is the best I've stayed at--hands down-- for the money. The fact that you don't have to drive anywhere is a great plus, that and the fact that you're not stuck on the main drag of Atherton Ave (which is a big strip mall where all the other hotels and chain stores are). The hotel itself is unique, as well, having actual slate shingles.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Nittany Lion Inn is a Penn State landmark, rich in history and tradition and a proud member of the National Trust Historic Hotels of America. Our AAA Four Diamond rated property is located on the campus of The Pennsylvania State University, serving as a travelers’ haven and a popular gathering place for Penn State alumni. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Nittany Lion Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nittany Lion Hotel State College
- Nittany Lion State College