“Santa Stopped by at This Charming Old Hotel”
Review of Nittany Lion Inn

Nittany Lion Inn
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in State College
Hartford, CT
“Santa Stopped by at This Charming Old Hotel”
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I recently stayed here with my daughter on my way to visit family for Christmas. They have a beautiful Christmas tree and the front desk staff was delighted in making my visit all the worthwhile. I asked them to leave some of my Christmas gifts from Santa under the tree and to give me a wake-up call in the morning to help "make believe" that Santa had stopped by to give my daughter a gift. They did exactly that and my daughter was shocked that the front desk knew her name and she was surprised to find the gift and letter from Santa under the tree. This was the perfect hotel for such a Christmas surprise!

They also have a very good fruit selection for room service which came promptly in the morning.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank NastyZ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 1 December 2009

My partner and I have stayed here several times over the years. The hotel has a stately, traditional feel that is somewhat formal but still welcoming. The hotel seems to have grown somewhat organically and some of the hallways can be confusing but (I think) add to the character of the place. The staff is always courteous and professional. The rooms are in good condition with an old-school, traditional feel to them. The beds and linens are comfortable but not great. The bathrooms are average hotel bathrooms. A surprising deficiency is the lack of internet access in the rooms.

The restaurant is nice by State College standards and the breakfast buffet has been pretty good. I haven't had lunch or dinner in the restaurant.

The hotel bar, Whiskers, is not a popular hangout beyond hotel guests so the bar really reflects the current hotel guest profile. When we were there most recently, the bar was lively with a wedding crowd. In the past, it's been very subdued with a much older crowd in town for a conference.

This is our first choice when in State College because it is clean, comfortable, and close to downtown.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LuckyDogSJC
Lakewood, Ohio
Reviewed 20 October 2009

While the nature of our visit was't particularly pleasant (funeral), my husband I drove from Cleveland to make the most out of our short visit. We were heading to a nearby city, but decided to stay in State College, something we'd never done before. After talking to some Penn State alum, it became evident that we HAD to stay at the Nittany Lion Inn. Got a spectacular rate on a beautiful room (it was summertime when students were not in regular session) through an online booking site. Upon arrival, we were instantly met with great service. They had a free shuttle that took us to their downtown area. The driver was particularly great, as he gave us a FREE driving tour of the town (I swear he knows everything there is to know about that town), recommended restaurants and bars and even helped us to figure out how to get around. That's the kind of service that really helps to make a great trip. Not sure if I'll ever be back to that area, but if I do, I will return. GREAT location to campus -- I think it's on campus. Restaurant and bar were excellent. Probably a wonderful place to stay during football season. While the rooms were beautiful, the only downside was that they didn't have a refridgerator (and we had a ton of leftovers from dinner).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LovesThisCity
Philadelphia
Reviewed 6 September 2009

I have stayed here often and this will certainly not be the last time. The hotel is quiet, well-appointed and charming. The staff at the front door, the front desk, the gift shop, the restaurants and everyone else is friendly, professional and helpful.

The location, on the campus of Penn State University, is spectacular. If you have any reason to visit the area I highly recommend The Nittany Lion Inn as your first choice.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank SusanCoh
Greenwood,SC
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Beautiful Inn, excellent restuaurant, located in State College in town minutes to Penn State campus

• Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
NJ
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Large hotel on edge of campus; pleasant staff of young people. Rooms attractive and comfortable, with windows that can be opened, luxurious thick towels, everything clean and new.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed 20 July 2009

The Nittany Lion Inn was just what I had expected. Welcoming. Traditional. Elegant. Americana.

The room was very nice. The entire facility seems very well taken care of, especially considering its age. Location is excellent, right behind the Nittany Lion Shrine. Easy walking distance to all of downtown. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Free and convenient parking.

Only down side was our experience at the Whiskers Lounge. We tried to get a quick bite before heading out for golf, but were stymied by lack of staff. There were two wedding receptions there that Saturday and the guests were in the bar between wedding and reception. Only one bartender. Sloooooooow.

My wife's pork sandwich was cold and the honey mustard dressing that came with my Big Ten-Ders was just yellow mustard and maybe some honey. Who knows? No mayonaise, no vinegar in it. Yuk.

Also the home fries on the breakfast buffet in the hotel dining room were hard and dry, and the oatmeal very runny. Andrea, our waitress was outstanding!

So, don't miss a great Penn State tradition, but maybe eat somewhere else.

WE ARE!!