“Over 60 bites!”

Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We attended the 2014 Art Festival and stayed for three nights. The hotel was average, and dated. The rooms were on the small side but well equipped. The wall on the connecting rooms are thin and noisy - you can hear your neighbor. The ventilation design allows for microwave popcorn smell from the neighbors to be transferred into adjacent rooms. The happy hour is nice, the breakfast was decent.

My problem unfolded on the second night when I used the down comforter. I awoke with 20-30 bites and within 2 hours, I had over 60 bites. The bites are consistent with bed bug bites. I reported this to the front desk and the staff addressed it immediately. House keeping did an inspection and found nothing, but did exchange-out all the linens and whites. I did not hear from management -not at all, even though we kept the room and stayed the final night. Our room #304. I am former frequent business traveler with over 1400 hotel stays, and this is one of my worse experiences. I am attaching pictures that were taken in the evening on our second day.

The bit

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Al W
JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

I am sorry that you had a less than desirable stay with us. I did want to let you know that we did send our housekeeping supervisor to the room to investigate and she did an inspection and did not find any bed bugs. As a precautionary measure, we called Parks Pest Control in to inspect the room and we did not find one bed bug. I am not sure what caused the outbreak, and we changed the sheets in case it was some type of reaction to the sheets. Again, I would hate to speculate what caused the bites, but we did not find any bed bugs. I hope you will find this information useful, and we will also be gladly to provide our exterminators report for you. Please contact me if you have any questions. I am glad that you took advantage of the breakfast and found the rooms to be well appointed.

Best regards,
Jennifer

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We got the room for cheap as a place to crash for 4th of July weekend. Had it not been so cheap we would have been upset about the actual room. There was an overwhelming musty smell. We turned on the air conditioner and opened the door for about and hour. Additionally, the carpet and chairs were horribly stained and gross. The beds and bathroom however were all very clean. Our room to the outside across from the outside pool. They have volleyball, in and out pool, hot tub and an on site restaurant with room service. It served our purposes but if it had not been so reasonably priced then there would have been an issue.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2014

as in other reviews this is a maze. rooms on the inside rooms on the outside. walkways and hallways. one could be challenged to walk around. the indoor pool area was nice. hot tub could be maintained a little better. paint chipping off. timer once it got to 10mns, didn't get any less time. could also be a little hotter. computer room is roomy. has a number of computers and printers. again a little challenge to find. but once you do. you will find it again. our room opened to the outside. there was a lot of police and corrections officers there. some kind of school they were attending. for some reason the outside of our room was there gathering area. they can carry on drinking, name calling and all that. knocking on our door at some odd hour of the night. good thing I was tired. the room was quite small. no open plugs. was one over bathroom counter. but plug would fall out all the time. did have a refrigerator in the room. decent amount of tv stations. there was an outside pool area right across from us. I didn't use that. but looking at it seemed well maintained and clean. there always seemed to be and open parking spot. but parking is at a premium. breakfast was in a restaurant attached to hotel. eggs, sausage, potatoes and the usual fare. sausage a bit greasey. always seemed to be low or out of eggs. but was ok. better than spending $$$. check in a bit slow if your the next one in line .when my turn it was all pleasant. answered any questions I had not much in way of restaurants in walking distance. most on other side of town. I stayed there for the price. if price not an issue I would look around more. its not a bad place. just that peace and quiet could be at a premium

Room Tip: maybe try to get rooms that are on the inside. there's foot traffic all over the place
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is a large, aging conference complex. The hotel rooms and convention area are fairly well maintained. Finding your room is the real challenge. The facility is sprawling and resembles a maze. Parking can also be an issue if the hotel is full. If you are there for a conference, I strongly recommend that you venture out and eat at one of the numerous local restaurants. The banquet food is atrocious (based on several occasions). Another food tip is to arrive at the breakfast room as soon as it opens (ask at the front desk). There will be ONE tray of Dunkin' Donuts and ONE tray of pastries, when they are gone---they are gone. The same goes for yogurt, bagels, and fruit. Almost nothing is replenished. Due to the huge demand for hotel rooms in the Penn State area, this hotel has little incentive to change. Overall, it is not a bad place to stay for a night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have now stayed twice in this Hotel. My room for the first week of June, 2014 was a complete disaster. The room was in the older section of the Hotel, 213. It was a flashback to 1970. The bathroom fan sounded like it was about to take off a runway. And then quit working all together. The decor was very old school and worn out. The front wall of the room was glass and if the shades are not drawn, anyone walking down the hallway can look right in. The room also smelled like someone had smoked in it, even though it was a no smoking room. Now, that being said, my second stay the very next week, was worth every penny I paid. The room was newly renovated, very crisp and clean. It looked like I was in a newer section of the Hotel. My room even had that "new everything" smell. Very comfortable bed, unlike the first room. I could not have asked for a better room. The one most notable difference with this room, compared to my first stay, was the lack of noise. In my first stay, you hear everything and everyone. This room was very quiet. I believe there was about the same number of people staying, however, it was just more sound proof. Overall, don't get put in anywhere around the older part of this Hotel.

1  Thank schees1