“Blood on Comforter”

Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We were here with the People's Choice Art Festival and stayed for 4 nights. Upon entering our very dated room, I noticed a used bar of soap in the trash and the shampoo was "low", but the towels were clean. Upon inspecting the bed, I found blood on the comforter. I immediately called the front desk and a housekeeper came immediately, saw it and exclaimed "if this doesn't get that maid fired I don't know what will". Bedding was changed and we went to dinner with friends. Later, it sounded as though a helicopter was landing on the hotel and the room was vibrating. Silly me. That's because my room is directly over the commercial washers, which run until 10pm. When I went to the front desk the next morning I was informed that what was on the comforter was "probably rust". I was shaking. Rust doesn't "clot". The sawzall at 9:51 pm that night was it. If there was a breakfast we were unaware of it. We paid $100 a night for this nightmare. Won't happen again. I expected far better of a Ramada.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If you have to stay here, make certain you are in the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have stayed here before and enjoyed my stay. This time was very different, however. Upon checking in, it was discovered that someone had used the restroom AFTER the bathroom had already been cleaned. This pretty much destroyed the whole stay. The staff was friendly, and upon alerting the desk, they sent someone to take care of it right away, but it only served to pacify an uneasy feeling of general uncleanliness. The carpet was dingy, the furniture was stained, it made you question the overall sanitary nature of everything. In addition, my room was located near the back of the hotel where the staff congregates for tools, supplies, and maintenance. This seemed to be a hangout area for resting and smoking and the like. I begrudge none of these hard working people a break, but as a guest, it's just not a good look, When combined with the state of my bathroom, it really shed a poor light on what otherwise had been satisfactory performance during past stays. I'd think twice about booking here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I come to State College about six times a year on business. We typically stay at the Days Inn because that is where our meetings are held; however, it was fully booked due to the arts festival so we booked rooms at the Ramada. We arrived around 4 PM and had no problems checking in. We got our key cards and headed to our room which was outside of the hotel and around the back. Our key cards did not work. There was a maintenance man nearby so we asked him for help. His key card would not work. He stated he thought that the battery needed to be replaced and he replaced it. It still would not work. He had to get somebody else to help him remove the entire lock and change it out. That probably inconvenienced us about 25 minutes. I had called the front desk before the entire situation to which they replied, "it should be a quick fix...only 5 or 10 minutes." They didn't even apologize!

The room itself was fairly clean. The bathroom could've been cleaned better as well as the TV which had dust streaks all over it. But the room did have a coffee maker, a mini refrigerator and a nice flat screen TV. We hated the wall of windows that were ceiling to floor by the door... And since we were on the first floor if we kept them open anyone could walk by our room and look in. So we basically had to sit in a dark hotel room with only the light from the lamp. This was an issue for me as I like natural light, especially in the morning.

At about 6:30 in the morning we were awoke by loud people yelling back and forth to each other outside of our room and loud garbage truck emptying the dumpster. It was horrible. I do not recommend the outside rooms AT ALL.

In the morning, check out was easy but I have to say that during my entire stay the staff seemed less than thrilled. They did not seem customer service oriented nor very friendly. The hotel provided a hot and continental type breakfast. But I have seen much better at other hotels. The food itself was mediocre and barely warm at best. They had scrambled eggs, sausage patties, cheese blintzes with blueberry sauce, bagels, a bowl of mixed fruit and toast. They also had coffee and juices. Yes it was free but we were still sorry we wasted our time :(

If you stay here--they only shuttle you to the airport so if you're planning on going into town, which is not exactly walking distance, you will need to take a taxi or drive. The cab we took only cost us about $5.

Unfortunately, we would most likely not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, pick a room inside of the hotel. The outside rooms are a bit sketchy and c...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We attended the 2014 Art Festival and stayed for three nights. The hotel was average, and dated. The rooms were on the small side but well equipped. The wall on the connecting rooms are thin and noisy - you can hear your neighbor. The ventilation design allows for microwave popcorn smell from the neighbors to be transferred into adjacent rooms. The happy hour is nice, the breakfast was decent.

My problem unfolded on the second night when I used the down comforter. I awoke with 20-30 bites and within 2 hours, I had over 60 bites. The bites are consistent with bed bug bites. I reported this to the front desk and the staff addressed it immediately. House keeping did an inspection and found nothing, but did exchange-out all the linens and whites. I did not hear from management -not at all, even though we kept the room and stayed the final night. Our room #304. I am former frequent business traveler with over 1400 hotel stays, and this is one of my worse experiences. I am attaching pictures that were taken in the evening on our second day.

The bit

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Al W
JBS1234, Director of Sales at Ramada State College Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

I am sorry that you had a less than desirable stay with us. I did want to let you know that we did send our housekeeping supervisor to the room to investigate and she did an inspection and did not find any bed bugs. As a precautionary measure, we called Parks Pest Control in to inspect the room and we did not find one bed bug. I am not sure what caused the outbreak, and we changed the sheets in case it was some type of reaction to the sheets. Again, I would hate to speculate what caused the bites, but we did not find any bed bugs. I hope you will find this information useful, and we will also be gladly to provide our exterminators report for you. Please contact me if you have any questions. I am glad that you took advantage of the breakfast and found the rooms to be well appointed.

Best regards,
Jennifer

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We got the room for cheap as a place to crash for 4th of July weekend. Had it not been so cheap we would have been upset about the actual room. There was an overwhelming musty smell. We turned on the air conditioner and opened the door for about and hour. Additionally, the carpet and chairs were horribly stained and gross. The beds and bathroom however were all very clean. Our room to the outside across from the outside pool. They have volleyball, in and out pool, hot tub and an on site restaurant with room service. It served our purposes but if it had not been so reasonably priced then there would have been an issue.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2014

as in other reviews this is a maze. rooms on the inside rooms on the outside. walkways and hallways. one could be challenged to walk around. the indoor pool area was nice. hot tub could be maintained a little better. paint chipping off. timer once it got to 10mns, didn't get any less time. could also be a little hotter. computer room is roomy. has a number of computers and printers. again a little challenge to find. but once you do. you will find it again. our room opened to the outside. there was a lot of police and corrections officers there. some kind of school they were attending. for some reason the outside of our room was there gathering area. they can carry on drinking, name calling and all that. knocking on our door at some odd hour of the night. good thing I was tired. the room was quite small. no open plugs. was one over bathroom counter. but plug would fall out all the time. did have a refrigerator in the room. decent amount of tv stations. there was an outside pool area right across from us. I didn't use that. but looking at it seemed well maintained and clean. there always seemed to be and open parking spot. but parking is at a premium. breakfast was in a restaurant attached to hotel. eggs, sausage, potatoes and the usual fare. sausage a bit greasey. always seemed to be low or out of eggs. but was ok. better than spending $$$. check in a bit slow if your the next one in line .when my turn it was all pleasant. answered any questions I had not much in way of restaurants in walking distance. most on other side of town. I stayed there for the price. if price not an issue I would look around more. its not a bad place. just that peace and quiet could be at a premium

Room Tip: maybe try to get rooms that are on the inside. there's foot traffic all over the place
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is a large, aging conference complex. The hotel rooms and convention area are fairly well maintained. Finding your room is the real challenge. The facility is sprawling and resembles a maze. Parking can also be an issue if the hotel is full. If you are there for a conference, I strongly recommend that you venture out and eat at one of the numerous local restaurants. The banquet food is atrocious (based on several occasions). Another food tip is to arrive at the breakfast room as soon as it opens (ask at the front desk). There will be ONE tray of Dunkin' Donuts and ONE tray of pastries, when they are gone---they are gone. The same goes for yogurt, bagels, and fruit. Almost nothing is replenished. Due to the huge demand for hotel rooms in the Penn State area, this hotel has little incentive to change. Overall, it is not a bad place to stay for a night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business