“Great location, great room, and a great price!”

Carriage House Motor Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
Pocono Mountains Region, Pennsylvania
“Great location, great room, and a great price!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My girlfriend and I were looking to visit the Lancaster area to explore the rural side. As such, we wanted to avoid anything in the big city, and the Carriage House Motor Inn's location allowed us to do just that! It's nestled in the middle of a rural main street and within walking distance of a ton of local attractions, including the Strasburg Railroad.

When we checked in, the desk clerk was BEYOND helpful, and offered us a multitude of brochures and ideas for our trip, several of which we would otherwise have been unaware of. At check out, we asked if we could check out late at 12 (official time is 11); we ended up handing in the keys at noon, but took another 10 minutes or so to actually finish packing and leave, which the employees did not mind one bit.

Finally, for the room itself, it was surprisingly large, and incredibly clean. As the motel is a restored carriage house (hence the name!) there was obvious wear and tear on the walls and ceilings, but we honestly found it quaint as opposed to a distraction or complaint. The inclusion of a fridge was nice, but the lack of a microwave was a little disappointing. No points taken off, though, because it DOES state this on the website and we were aware that one would not be present! Just would've been a nice perk! We didn't watch much TV, but browsing through showed quite a large number of channels, so if you're looking for your favorite station, there's a good chance you'll find it. My ONE complaint (and it's so so so minor) is that they provided a remote for the cable box, but not the TV itself. We brought a laptop with HDMI out so that we could watch movies on the provided TV, but there was no way to actually switch the input on the TV from cable to HDMI. We were able to circumvent this by using the SmartRemote feature of my Galaxy S5 phone and change it manually, but anybody whose phone lacks that feature will be unable to switch the input.

All in all, we were quite pleased with our stay here! We had the Do Not Disturb sign out for our entire trip and were not once bothered by room service, so bonus points there!

If we visit the area again, we'll definitely consider staying here again and would highly recommend it to others! :)

Room Tip: If you'll need to use the wifi, request a room near the office. There only router is located in...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EJG629

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Wall Township, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with my 2 year old grandson. I was greeted by (I assume owner-manager?) a woman who was so friendly as well as her daughter (about 9 years old)....VERY nice people!...Room had one queen (?) bed and a couch (Maybe a pull out) and was roomy especially with a pac n play for baby. Bathroom was fine and CLEAN!...Towels were VERY soft which you don't usually get in motels.....Room had cable with a lot of channels....Fridge was great! Only suggestion would be maybe a microwave in room however, in office where continental breakfast was, there was a microwave. Room had coffee maker although I didn't use it due to Im not a coffee drinker. This was my first time staying here and I will DEFINITELY stay here again.....About 1/2 mile from trains which is great! About 10 minutes from rt 30 where ALL THE CRAZY TRAFFIC IS!!!!...Very quiet! Restaurant and maybe bar across street which is nice but I had little one with me so didn't go! BUT, looked like a good place to go for dinner by amount of cars!...ONLY COMPLAINT WAS I COULDNT GET ON INTERNET....IT MAY HAVE BEEN ME TRYING....HOWEVER, THEY DO ADVERTISE WIFI ON PROPERTY.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Belleville, PA
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This little motel is in a convenient location in an interesting town! Unfortunately, that's about all it had going for it the night I stayed there. The desk clerk didn't interact at all...no eye contact, no small talk, no "welcome" type greeting. Just click, click, click on the computer....when I asked for a receipt, I got a copy of the reservation info with the amount "due," which I had just paid in cash. No where did it indicate that the bill had been paid!

I asked about the hours for a nearby establishment, and she didn't know: "they usually close about now, I think" (wrong, open another 2 hours, I discovered!) and didn't refer me to any literature to get the correct info.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable; the towels looked clean, but there was a long black hair on the washcloth I grabbed to dry my face. Ewww. When I wanted to take a bath, the drain would not hold water. I had trouble hearing what was going on because the automatic bathroom fan and the a/c were so noisy. Finally after turning off all the racket, I discovered that no matter which way I turned the stopper, the water ran out. I walked back to the office to talk about the problem, and it seemed the clerk had trouble understanding what I was trying to say. It was a different clerk than earlier, and she wanted to help. Eventually, she found a drain stopper somewhere else, and brought it to the room.

The clients at the establishment across the street were extremely noisy until after 1am, out on the sidewalk. Loud. (It was a Friday night.) And I wasn't in the room closest to the street! I wonder if the people in those rooms got any sleep!

In the morning, I had to leave soon after 7am, and there was no one in the (open) office, so I left my key and a note.

Overall, not a satisfactory experience. If I had paid $50 for the room, perhaps I would have expected a so-so stay. But for well over $100, I expected more. I won't be staying here again!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Brenda Z

Travellers are raving about these Strasburg hotels

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I've stayed here many times and never been disappointed. I've also meet some very nice guests as well. Great location with a nice restaurant across the street . The owner and his family couldn't be more helpful. I plan to stay here every visit

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

If you like black mold this place is for you. If you like rude customer service you got it. If you like your room hot with a sad a/c unit here you go. How about a horrible nights sleep on a lumpy bed? Winner winner. Ok none of this stuff is really liked by anyone. BUT if you're in a bind like we were it's a place to stay dry and kinda sleep.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sara C
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights at the Carriage House. No problems. Good location for the many local railway activities and also for Hershey. Excellent restaurant opposite. Just as expected.

Only criticism, poor communications prior to visit. No reply to a couple of emails.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RWF2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Traveled on a Saturday night. Stayed in the suite which has 2 bedrooms, shared bath & small tv/living room. Staff was very helpful. Breakfast was fresh. Location is very convenient. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank s s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,859 reviews
Best Western Plus Revere Inn & Suites
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
Red Caboose Motel, Restaurant & Gift Shop

Been to Carriage House Motor Inn? Share your experiences!