“Awesome hotel”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“Awesome hotel”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I spent one night in Lancaster, PA area and found this hotel to be great. Nice clean rooms, great bedding and comfortable beds, good breakfast included in price. The room had a microwave and refrigerator. We didn't use the pool, but lots of others took advantage of the pool. A nice restaurant is next to the hotel in which we went to have a cocktail and appetizer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Sherman H, General Manager at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you sharing your experience at our hotel. We appreciate all feedback and use guest comments to improve the experience. We are pleased you had a great stay and look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
tn
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here for one full week. First thing we noticed in our room Queen Anne Chair ripped. Killed Roach in our bathroom, Internet did not work in our room. Out all day come back at 3pm room still not cleaned. Breakfast not bad today they put out old bananas. Indian owned hotel. Coming back they made one bed and did not do the second bed. Where they have the two computers all you can smell is Indian curry every day.

Room Tip: Not sure there are buildings scattered.
1 Thank edinburghlassietn
Thank you for sharing you experience at our hotel. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction and ask guests to notify us immediately of any concerns. We will use this feedback to improve our guest experience .

Travellers are raving about these Strasburg hotels

Lexington Park, Maryland
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We traveled with our three kids and my parents. The hotel was old but well maintained. The grounds were beautiful; flowers everywhere, nice yard, gazebo and playground in the back. They allowed us to check in early which was great as our kids were ready to hit the pool after a day of driving. The room had a microwave and a fridge in it. The breakfast was great; many choices including eggs, bacon, hash browns, cereal, toast, fruit, juice and it was free! We paid $99 a night and it was a good value. The only problems we encountered had to do with the cleaning of the rooms. I had to ask someone to come and clean our shower/tub when we arrived as it hadn't been cleaned well and there was dust hanging from the lamps between the beds in my parents' room and there was a broken lamp in the room. The Inn was very close to the Sight and Sound Theater, maybe 3 minutes away. We will stay there again when we return to Lancaster.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LizY339
Sherman H, General Manager at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your visit to our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and will use to improve our guests experience. We look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We've been coming to the Lancaster PA area for 25 years and have stayed in many different places but never in Strasburg until this trip. The Clarion is in a very nice location and we will definitely be back. The hotel rooms are clean. The beds are comfortable. The breakfast (included) is good -- eggs, ham, sausage, French toast, waffles, cereal, muffins, bagels, etc. There is no reason to go away hungry as there is something for everyone. Very nice restaurant/tavern right next door. Meals were excellent. Many beers on tap.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for sharing your visit to our hotel. We are surrounded by amish countryside and close to all the attractions. We are pleased you had a great stay and look forward to your next visit.
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Brides Beware! Make hotel bookings somewhere else for weddings at Fireside Tavern.Below is the e-mail I sent to the Regional Manager about what happened on my wedding weekend. I waited to post online reviews to see if they'd respond to my complaint & they didn't.

"Mr. Watts,

I am writing in response to an extremely poor experience we had at one of your hotels - Clarion Inn/Historic Strasburg Inn on 1400 Historic Dr. the weekend of June 14, 2014.

I want you to know that we are the last people to complain, I am a GM myself and I understand people can be unreasonable at times but it was our wedding weekend and Sherman Hall was a pathetic excuse for a manager and left a perfect day with a really sour note. I would REALLY hate to see the GM's complete lack of respect, professionalism and customer service affect any wedding bookings for Fireside Tavern as the convenience for weddings in undeniable. Rest assure that I have already spoken with the owners of Fireside about our experience and they informed us that this isn't the first time they've had problems with the hotel.

I just want you to know some of what was said so you know what idiocy transpired. Nora Roberts was phenomenal. She was who we made out initial reservation with and she was in contact with me once a month for the whole 15 months we had the booking, super accommodating, and on the ball with everything. Once her position was "cut" and Nora told me that Sherman was now our contact, she sent an e-mailed and CC'd Sherman on the e-mail. I immediately e-mailed him to make sure that everything Nora and I had already discussed and lined out was still set. I never heard anything back from him.It took 23 days for him to get back with me and only because I tried to contact Nora herself again - our wedding was only a month away at that point!

Our wedding was a mild family reunion, we had people coming in from all around the country and Canada so to have a hotel next to our venue was perfect. We had family at the hotel from Wednesday til Sunday which isn't a cheap hotel bill at $110/night for a group rate. We had 20 rooms booked, 54 people stayed there Saturday night alone. Earlier in the day on Saturday while getting ready for the wedding, my bridesmaids went to check in they didn't have any of their reservations on file - 3 rooms! They had to all stop getting ready for the wedding to figure out if they were going to have a room or not which in turned hindered everything else on the timeline for the day. We didn't get to take pictures before the ceremony because of having to deal with this and THAT was of the utmost disappointment because you can't go back a redo it. After taking my phone with all my e-mail correspondence, they magically found 2 reservations once I showed them my confirmation list and 1 they gave away because someone accidentally had them checking in on Thursday when all confirmations were just for Saturday night. They never even offered a discount or anything to the girl's whose room they gave away. .

Around 10 PM we got a noise warning which is an hour before the PA noise ordinance. Around 11:30 PM the night desk girl came out and said that they received a complaint about us and that her boss, Sherman, said we can go to our rooms and go to bed or they'll call the cops and possibly kick us out. Had our rooms been all together as promised we probably wouldn't have bothered anyone because we were hanging out with friends and family we haven't seen in years but we were scattered throughout the complex so we hung out in the courtyard. We were told and I quote, "they would rather call the cops and kick us out then have to discount the rooms that were complaining." That doesn't make sense. Sherman would not come a speak with us personally like a manager should - he kept relaying messages through his desk person. He then said it didn't matter because they were fully booked - which according to their website they were not and were offering rooms for $99/night which is cheaper than what our "group rate." (we checked online on FRI and SAT) The night desk girl did a great job dealing with us and doing her job - she said this happens all the time with weddings. You would think they would learn to put wedding groups together then? She also gave me your information when Sherman refused to over the phone. So we asked to speak with Sherman first thing in the morning.

When my husband and I spoke with Sherman in the morning. We really weren't looking for anything for free, maybe a discount for ruining the night or for the lost reservation but mainly an apology would have been nice since it WAS our wedding night. Sherman said when I told him that several family members stayed for up to 5 nights which is a lot money spent there that week - he said and I quote, "It doesn't matter how much money you spent there because you weren't following the rules." WHAT, our money doesn't matter to you?! "You weren't following the rules." When I asked what rules because there was nothing in contract or given to guests at check in, he said we were being too loud. He said that we got warned on Thursday night about being too loud also which I was not aware of. If that was the case then first thing Friday morning Sherman as the GM should have addressed the issue himself to nip it in the butt instead of just pretending it didn't happen. He also proceeded to say that "we were the only wedding they've had problems with." Which is yet another lie because the people who actually work the nights said other wise. Even though I already had your information, I asked him for contact information for someone above him to speak with, he blatantly refused yet again. So when I asked if he owned the place, he said no. I said then there is always someone else I can talk to since you don't own the place. He just stared at me with a blank look. So I repeated myself, do you own this place? He said no but all complaints must go through him. I said no, I know how that works and it won't go anywhere but the trash and he said he forwards all complaints to the legal department. I never said anything about a legal actions.

Someone in our group also found dirty clothes in drawers in their room and things under beds like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. All things that we would not have cared about because of the wonderful weekend we had."

Quite a shame - and after looking around and reading reviews as well as some of Sherman's less than professional responses to online complaints, it makes you wonder why he's still the GM there. This place could be much better than it is. Maybe a bunch on complaints online will get more attention than an upset bride.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine A
We appreciate when guests share their experience at our hotel, however your account of your event does not reflect the behavior of your wedding guests. Our committment to provide a safe and peaceful enviroment is priority. Your group rented rooms , not a reception hall and continuing the wedding reception in the public areas of the hotel is not permitted. Your guests were loud , disruptive and inconsiderate of the rules of the hotel and to other guests. The behavior of your group playing bean bag games in the courtyard at 1 AM is unacceptable. You were asked by management to disperse and return to your rooms. Upon check out many of your guests apologized for their behavior and we appreciated their understanding.
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The inn looks really inviting. Nice grounds and very friendly staff. Good breakfast every morning and hot coffee 24/7.
Our room was clean and roomy. BIG! Had no complaints. Stayed 4 days and was really close to entire Amish Experience. Would go back without a second thought!

Room Tip: Big Inn. All rooms were nice.
1 Thank Peter A
Sherman H, General Manager at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your visit to our hotel. We are surrounded by amish countryside and minutes from the Strasburg railroad. We look forward to your next stay
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel is in a good location close to everything. I was impressed with the beds. Very good and the place is peaceful. More elderly people staying here. We came up for three shows and Lancaster holds true to tradition that it is a fantastic place to visit. Of course, the Amish way of life always appears so peaceful. The country side absolutely breath taking. We tried the Iron Horse Inn in Strasburg for dinner our first night. The waitress was nice and the salad good but the entry was a total disaster. We ordered the sauerbraten and schnitzel. This place I would consider on the up side price wise. The presentation was nothing other than everything piled on top of each other. The only good thing was the red cabbage while the meat had no flavor and the noddles as the entire meal, a disaster. The schnitzel had like a pool of grease sitting on it. The upside. We tried Huckleberry's at the Fulton SteamBoat Inn. I just had a hamburger and my wife had the spinach dip with chips. Their hamburger is outstanding and a nice size. I will make it a stop each and every time we come. It's that good. The Strasburg Railroad Museum is a must see. We had been here before and I was so fascinated with it I wanted to see it again. There was the nicest Amish boy at the entrance of the parking lot that was selling his mom's goodies. He was so kind a polite. Many of us should learn from the Amish culture that being nice pays off. My wife had told him to keep the change and you should have seen the smile come across his face and a nice hand wave as we left. Lancaster is one of our favorite places to visit. You need a good place to stay though and I will come back to the Clarion. The American Music Theater is a most. Don't wait for the Texas Tenor's to come back here. These guys are so so good and I give you my recommendation that this is a class act and for $30 we had seats way in the back and they were absolutely perfect. Not a bad seat in the place. Sights and Sounds (Moses) just so professionally done. He had assume seats in the balcony and will apt for seats up there as our first choice. John Muellers, The 50's Dance Party is another must see especially if your a Buddy Holly fan. John is absolutely Buddy to the core. Richie Valen's fellow as good as well. However, I'm not exactly sure what we saw in the Big Bopper but he goes along with the act. Again, don't wait til they come back. If you like them get the tickets, the show is worth it. We did visit the downtown area of Lancaster in reference to the market and craft shops and we weren't that overly impressed. A lot of galleries if you like art. Just a note to the people of Lancaster and in particular to the theater areas and tourist attractions, keep on doing what your doing because you've got it right. We love your community.

Room Tip: If it doesn't take a lot to fantasy you, we had room 136 in the building at the far end of the p...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sherman H, General Manager at Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your visit to our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lancaster East - Strasburg
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#2 of 39 in Lancaster
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lancaster
Comfort Inn Lancaster - Rockvale Outlets
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)

Been to Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn? Share your experiences!