Strasburg Village Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Strasburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I read the reviews so I kind of knew what to expect. I liked it and would definetly go back. It is an old hotel - no problem - it is in the center of the small town with Amish Buggies going by most of the night - no problem! The location is really good. You are 3 miles from the main draw in Lancaster on Route 30 and you are about one mile from the Pa Railroad Museum (purpose of our stay). There is some road noise but it did not bother me. You are in the center of town with a traffic light. There were some bonuses. There was breakfast included in the room rate ($60 for the room). The previous night I stayed at a $135/night hotel and would take this hotel over the other one anyday. There was a quaint store and ice cream shop attached to the hotel. The area was safe and walkable. I plan to go back on my next trip.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 June 2008

We stayed here during a short trip to Lancaster for our anniversary. Rich and Anita were welcoming and friendly. I asked for the “romance package” and they offered a choice of a local wine or champagne. This was a pleasant surprise as I expected any run of the mill Asti or the like. At the end of the day a huge plate of gigantic, picture perfect Strawberries, cheese and crackers were in our room waiting for us along with a great local Zinfindel.

The Building, along with that whole section of town, is like walking the streets of Mayberry. The complaints of road noise on this site concerned me; but our room was away from the street and we did not experience a problem. Personally, I would find a way to tolerate the road noise to enjoy the environment of this great old hotel over a block box franchise that lines route 30. During the night there is not much traffic on either street. No place will have all the comforts of home that is what makes traveling interesting. The beds, pillows and linens are premium quality and super comfortable.

The building shares space the “The Creamery”. A must stop for an old fashioned float, sundae or malt. It is like stepping back in time. Many awards have been won by the Creamery for their quality ice cream that comes in a host of flavors. Don’t be afraid to ask for a sample of a flavor you have not heard of before. Located in the rear of the Creamery is a great old fashioned Country store. There are lots of Amish cookbooks and handmade items.

Next door, an Amish family sells the greatest bird houses from a small garage that is right next to the hotel parking lot. Quality craftsmanship and materials you cannot find anywhere.

Do yourself a favor and find a yellow “Map of the Amish Farmlands” at any tourist trap (free). Then take any road out of Strasburg and just make some turns on some side roads and let yourself get lost. Just drive around and look closely at the homes, farms and animals. The farms are immaculate and nicely landscaped in the traditional “plain and fancy” way of the Amish. Take the map out of the glove box to find your way back. It beats the hell out of a guided bus trip any day. Aaron and Jessica’s buggy rides at the Plain and Fancy farm is the best way to see an Amish farm property up close and speak to someone who is Amish. The Amish home and farm next to the Target on route 30 is also a great educational stop.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RichMickNREMTP
Reviewed 2 May 2008

This was our second stay. Innkeeper had info that we had booked 4 nights. We booked 5 and paid in full. She did not want to see my paperwork to solve the problem. The second day the room was not touched. We had to go ask for towels. On Sunday morning when we left for the day we were told by Rich "an emergency phone call from Linda" came in the day BEFORE. We leave behind an 88 and 85 year old parents and this 24 hour old notification was from one of the caretakers. NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank PICTUREFRAMERZ2
Reviewed 30 April 2008

We recently stayed here for the first time. WARNING if you go DO NOT get room 6. First the rooms is on the corner of two busy streets and because of the age of the home and the single pane glass it was like sleeping on the street. The road noise was not tolerable and we got a terrible nights sleep. The shower in the bathroom is pathetic. There are instructions on the shower that says turn water on then pull down on mechanism below the faucet. Well the only thing below the faucet is the drain lever....but that's not it. We wait for a reasonable hour to contact the owner but she was annoyed at the asking anyway and when we said we had a problem with the shower we must be in room 6. So can you imagine how many folks never figured out what the note meant was to reach inside the faucet while the water is running to pull down a metal mechanism. After struggling one of us took an show are one just washed as this was a real pain.
We were so frustrated we left before breakfast was served...by the way advertised as 730 but not served until 8. No morning coffee available either before 8.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank goosebumps12
Reviewed 15 January 2008

This is the 2nd time that my wife and I stayed at the Village Inn. We were looking for a quiet and relaxing couple of days and that is what we got. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It was also nice hearing the sound of the Amish buggies traveling past the inn. Both Rich and Anita are excellent inn keepers. They were both friendly and cooked an excellent breakfast. We hope to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 2 January 2008

Paid just over $50 for a Friday night, which included breakfast for two the next morning. We arrived late (notified innkeeper of this) and there she was ready to greet us when we finally got in. Rooms were pleasant, homey and fresh. Breakfast included a variety of cold cereal, breads, coffee, juice and freshly prepared pancakes and sausage. But best of all was the location, probably a half a dozen Amish horse-drawn carriages clip-clopped their way past the inn as we were having breakfast. The street on which the inn is located is terribly quaint and Strasburg itself is surrounded by Amish farms. We were in transit and thus only stayed a night, but I would have loved to spend more time there.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2007

I made reservations at the Strasburg Village Inn In early August. My uncle, aunt, father, daughter, sister and I were spending a weekend in Amish country. After 33 years this would be my very first trip with my aunt and uncle. They live in Wilmington, NC and I in Harrisonburg, VA. Usually I drive 7 hours to visit them and have so since I was born. My sister was meeting us in Lancaster, too; she would be driving over from Sparta, NJ for the weekend.
In August when I called the Strasburg Village Inn to make my reservation I was very careful to ask about the potential rooms for our arrangements; clearly this was an unusually special occasion. I was particularly concerned about getting our arrangements correct because it was a very special trip planned for hard working and dear family members. We would need one room with a queen bed for my aunt and uncle and a second room for me, my daughter, and my dad; Our room would need to have 2 double beds. My sister would reserve a separate hotel room for her stay.
After discussing my arrangement needs, I booked 2 rooms, rooms 6 and 8, for our stay on October 12 and 13. I got a confirmation number from the receptionist and wrote it down. I asked for a written confirmation by fax, e-mail, or USPS and was told that they didn’t send confirmations. When I asked for a confirmation number a second time again they said they could not provide a written confirmation. I thought I was just being paranoid and I let it go. Afterall, I book travel for the company I work for and it is customary that the bed and breakfasts I have booked with never even generate confirmation numbers. I had never had a problem with a reservation.
In mid-September, I called the Village Inn again to confirm my reservations, and I was told that we had rooms 6 and 8. I did not expect that there would be anything else open at the time, but out of curiosity I asked if they had any rooms with a sitting area. I was told that October 12 and 13 was the busiest weekend of the year and there was nothing else available.
On the day of our arrival to Strasburg, on the 12th, I called the Inn to tell them our party would be arriving at 8 p.m., in 2 hours. “Okay, okay,” was the reply from the lady on the receiving end. I asked how late the doors were open, and I was told 10 p.m.
When the 5 of us walked in the front door into the 5 x 8 reception area with all of our luggage and rang the bell, there was a seemingly long 2 minute wait for the innkeeper to appear. An unwelcoming lady in her 50’s limped over to the desk and barely made eye contact with me. I gave her our name, showed her my confirmation number, and told her we had rooms 6 and 8. “Uh oh,” was her reply. “Wait just a minute,” and she disappeared in the room behind the desk and behind closed door. I knew we had a problem but none in our party spoke. A few minutes later another rather large man appeared—a 2nd innkeeper to reconfirm the news—they only had one room for us, one room with one queen bed, reserved for my aunt and uncle.
We remained calm… I remained calm. I again showed my confirmation number. The inn keepers (we were told someone else managed the property along with Graystone Manor B&B in Bird and Hand, PA and that they were merely the inn keepers.) asked if I made the reservation with a male or a female. (as if it should matter to the current situation) I said I thought it was a female but I wasn’t sure as it had been made months prior. The inn keepers looked at each other and told me that they “bet” they knew why there was a problem and explained how this has happened before with “this particular person” (meaning with the person who had made the reservation.)
What surprised me was that neither inn keeper apologized to us – not one time. Not one time did they offer to correct the situation, to find us a place to stay. In fact, the female inn keeper suggested that we start calling around to find another room because it was a busy weekend—we “might be lucky” to find anything nearby. The inn keepers, particularly the female, were down out rude to us. I could not believe that after they had double booked our room and I had done everything I could to ensure that our arrangements were made, that they would not even at a minimum offer to help us find a room. Most of us had just driven for 11 hours and traveled for 12 to get there. Again, the inn keepers never once acknowledged the extent of their failure, never once apologized to us, and never offered to help. In fact, when she suggested we begin calling to find a place to stay, I corrected her and said that she would begin calling around to find us a room.
If it were not for my sister having had made arrangements at the Lancaster Host for Saturday night, we may not have been able to get additional rooms and nights there. The Lancaster Host was incredibly accomodating, friendly, and efficient. They gave more of a personal touch to our visit then one would expect from a bed and breakfast. The Strasburg Inn has much to learn about customer satisfaction, service, and appreciation. If I were you, I would never book my stay at Strasburg Inn. They left my family stranded without a place to stay on the busiest weekend of the year after 12 hours of traveling and without an ounce of remorse or empathy.

2  Thank jean1313
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lancaster East - Strasburg
Comfort Inn Lancaster - Rockvale Outlets
Tru by Hilton Lancaster East
Tru by Hilton Lancaster East
#15 of 40 in Lancaster

Been to Strasburg Village Inn? Share your experiences!