“Very nice tour”
Review of The Amish Village

The Amish Village
Ranked #4 of 13 things to do in Strasburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The Amish Village is an authentic look at today's Amish lifestyle. Located on 12 scenic acres, The Amish Village lets visitors experience an authentic Amish property, including a one-room schoolhouse, blacksmith shop, smokehouse market and more. To begin an understanding of the Pennsylvania Dutch culture, The Amish Village provides a 25-minute guided farmhouse tour. A 90-minute back roads bus tour is also offered to take you off the beaten path, past working farms and along country roads where buggies roll along and farmers work their fields.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We toured the centre (school room, farming equipment etc) and did the 90 min bus tour of the region.

I could have driven the same roads as the tour of course, but the guide was v knowledgable and explained everything to us about the Amish way of life, how they farm, their customs etc etc.

I'm glad we headed here as our introduction to Amish life and would recommend this place to any tourists wishing to start to learn about the Amish / Lancaster County area of PA.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
in 8 reviews
"nice place to visit"

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I've been going to Lancaster county for years, so I was already familiar with the Amish when I went to this place with relatives. I really liked going though! It was fun to go pet and feed the farm animals, and I especially liked wandering around the schoolhouse. The only thing I would note is that the house only has one narrow staircase, so people with mobility issues might have to sit out for the upstairs part of the tour.

2  Thank weemurree
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stopped in to visit the village part and we're glad we did! There was a tour leaving just as we arrived (a big group who had come on a coach) and so we had 15 mins to spend looking around some of the animals and the rest of the property. We came back and started our tour with Dee. She gave a great outline of Amish life, covering religious life, community, family life, food - it was great and very "real"! She was pleased to answer questions and when she didn't know the answer to one specific question was able to direct to another member of staff who would be able to. The tour of the house visited the kitchen, bedrooms, children's bedroom and the "summer kitchen" in the basement. There's then lots of time to wander around the "village" - visit the schoolroom and get a picture on the different buggies they have. Everything is well explained. We thought it was definitely worth the admission for the house/village tour.

4  Thank Emma S
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We went on this tour at the recommendation of our inn keeper and got an great introduction to the Amish way of living. We chose to just do the bus tour as the admission was a bit pricey. Our tour guide took us around different Amish farms and gave a history of how the Amish ended up in Lancaster and all around the US. It was a bit chilly so we didn't really get to see a lot of the children out playing during recess. We stopped by 2 different "farms" along the way but they were more like a quilt store and a convenience store. We did encounter buggy and people riding scooters, so that was neat to see. We look forward to check out the buggy tour next time when the weather is warmer!

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Our family took the Premium Tour which included the Amish Village as well as the bus tour. Learned quite a bit about the Amish culture on both parts of the tour. The bus stopped twice once at an Amish Roadside Farm named Busy Bees which had the best soft pretzels I have ever had; and then to an Amish Farm that had miniature horses as well as a gift shop. Only con was bus tour was scheduled to be 90 minutes and ended up being closer to 2 hours, while I would not normally complain about getting more for my money we had another attraction scheduled and almost missed it. But all in all I would definitely recommend the Amish Village tours!

1  Thank Michael B