“Not fit for our dog!”

Amish Lanterns Motel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Strasburg
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Broken lamp, bathroom door jamb looks like a SWAT team broke it down and was patched using wood filler instead of simply replacing the molding, filthy carpet, very old bedding, ripped bedspread. Took our dog (charged $10 for him and he was cleaner than the room) and he had a blast sniffing up goodies from under/around the beds: Jr Mints, something that looked like a recently used gauze bandage, numerous misc items I won't gross you out with. For the price, on a nothing-going-on Friday night in late February it was ridiculous. Glad we only stayed one night.

Room Tip: None- just stay away!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank KatyDid2013

Reviewed 20 October 2012 via mobile

I do not know where to start. Stayed a single night (was due to stay 3) in July with my mother. The dirtiest, smelliest, just awful hotel you can possibly imagine. Beyond outdated. Dark, dingy smelly rooms with fixtures and appliances that do not work. No AC. Bugs of all sort are everywhere and in the beds. Bedding is old and worn and should be tossed. No toilet paper, and more mold then paint in bathroom.
Ownership no where to be found.

What's worse is the restaurant, JJ's Diner. Gross. Food is awful. Looks like they found it in the couch.

This motel should be torn down or closed by the health department. Still sick just thinking about it.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank BrooklynGirl61
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We had trouble getting a 1 nightr reservation for the Columbus Day weekend. I finally found one available here. Upon ariving the hostess had no record of our reservation. I showed her my e-mail confirmation and she didn't know how I made a reservation when she hadn't freed up the rooms until later in the week. She did take someone else's room and gave it to us since we were only for 1 night. The motel has 2 buildings-we were in the two story extra building. There was evidence that some people live here permanently. Our room was dark and dingy. The drape consisted on one panel that could not be opened and was barely attached to the rod. We tried to make that work. The lamp between the two beds would not work. My wife called the office three times but the lady did not answer, so she finally walked back to the office and got a replacement light bulb. Along the way my wife encountered others who had issues with things not working. One customer even had no shower curtain. We had one-it was so moldy and smelled awful. The grout was quite moldy as well. The toilet seat was extremely loose. Large cobwebs were hanging in the room and the refrigerator smelled too badly to even put our bottled water in. The beds looked as though they placed old queen sized mattresses on top of full sized beds. They were saggy and uncomfortable. The sheets were ultra thin and so wrinkled that we were not even sure they were fresh. We smelled them and they did not appear to be offensive. We did check under the sheets and lifted the mattresses to check for evidence of bedbugs (did not really see any thankfully). A free breakfast was included in their small restaurant, but all we wanted to do was leave the next morning and go eat somewhere that felt clean. Why did we stay here? We had dinner show tickets and needed to shower and change before going. Plus we were not really able to make the long drive home aftrerwards. I had not read any trip advisor reviews prior to booking because I was simply relieved to find a motel on a busy weekend. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Retiredtraveler02
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stayed at Amish Lanterns from 8/12 to 8/17/12. For $58 a night we got clean sheets, clean working fridge and microwave, clean tiled bathroom and a pool. I noticed a lot of recent work on the room. The cable TV worked fine when Laurie showed us how to use the controls properly. Where in NE USA can you get a deal like that? There was also a picnic table where we enjoyed meals and snacks while watching the Amish buggies trot by.

Room Tip: make sure you tell Laurie you don't want to be near smokers
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Laurie, thank you for the very friendly time, we enjoyed ourselves very much, the Fireworks were great,have seen them from Florida to Pennsylvania and none compare with the show we saw on Sat the 25th of Aug.. Hope you are never the Hilton, they are more expense and not at all as friendly. You are very much a people person. Thank you again. The Bakers This motel is an oldie bur a goodie.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Helen51740
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My daughter had booked the room we had stayed there a few years ago and it was cute. We pulled up and there are 3 farm workers sitting in front of our room drinking beer and smoking. The kids run to look at the pool and are told they can't go in its closed because of the storm what storm? It full of leaves and tree branches. The owner Lori came out and tells me it's 30 dollars more for the children I told her I didn't want to stay here and I want a refund. I didn't care if she gave me by money or not I wasnt staying there for anything it was worth it not to catch the bedbugs. I called Expedia and complain and they had my money refunded. This is a run down transient motel .

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Epuglisi
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I wish we had read the reviews before reserving. Booked for two adults a child and a dog. One towel for three. ;k When unlocking the room we were greeted by an infestation of dead bugs outside the door adorned by spider webs.. Then we were struck by the bad moldy odor of the room. The rug was so dirty i wouldn't even let my dog walk on the floor. We were appalled by the years of accumulation of dirt, non shampooing and trash under the bed . We went to the office and told the housekeeper if she could vacuum the floor, she was visibly bothered and told me she was busy and disappeared behind a door after slamming it. I just waited and waited until the other lady showed up and then in retaliation she tells me i cannot be there with the dog and started coming up with lies. The place advertises itself as pet friendly motel and had even charged us for the pet fee. Initially the lady , i believe it was the manager, refused to give us a refund and agreed to clean the floor herself. Later she then told us if we wanted to leave she would give us a refund and have no problem getting the room rented to someone else. We had to stay because of the dog. We did not even dare to look at the pool or go for the breakfast. The staff are ill mannered. They seem nice until you bring up an issue. It only takes an extra minute to vacuum the rugs properly, clear the exterior dirt and bugs, maintain the place and show some respect to those who keep them in business. Evidently they don't care after reading bad review after bad review with the same issues. AMISH LANTERNS ARE YOU LISTENING. Enough with the excuses.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Sheily9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strasburg
Clarion Inn Historic Strasburg Inn
#28 of 40 in Lancaster
Dutch Treat Motel
Dutch Treat Motel
#14 of 16 in Ronks

Been to Amish Lanterns Motel? Share your experiences!