“Avoid this hotel”
Review of Pocono Plaza Inn

Pocono Plaza Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Stroudsburg
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We spent one night at this hotel because we arrived too late to find a proper campsite. We did have one of those coupons so our stay was not that expensive. While we were not expecting a 5-star hotel, we still expected a minimum in terms of cleanliness. When we walked in there was an odd smell, like the old carpeting had absorbed years worth of odours. The room was just as bad. The bathroom had been cleaned, well... sort of, in a hurry and we could see lots of dirt. I personally thought it smelled of something like cat litter. Eek! The place was really run down and the staff was not particularly friendly or helpful. Breakfast was not included, which is not a proble, but it was equally as bad. Avoid at all costs. I am certain there are better options.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs. Very dirty.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MTLcyclebuff
Joanne T, Guest Relations Manager at Pocono Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us. I have addressed your issues with the owner and the appropriate department managers so that we can handle the problems and deal with them in a timely fashion for other guests.

We are in the process of during numerous renovations throughout our hotel and replacing the carpet is high on our list. Unfortunately, as much as we wish they didn't, things take time to change. Carpeting is on the list of major renovations that need to be done.

As your stay was not the norm for us, we would ask that you give us another chance in the future to show you a more enjoyable stay. Please come back when we have finished with all of our renovations. We look forward to it!!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We had a whole tank of gas siphoned out of our car during the night. When we approached the 2 women at the front desk,they told us "We have lights around the building and security" however the lights above the back entrace were broken out and no lights were next to the entry for approx. 20 feet. They told us to contact the Police, but since the bldg. is on private property, law enforcement is not going to do ANYTHING. No offer to comp any $ or % on our room. We were not asked if we wanted a room by the pool, which they also did not supervise/close at 10p as posted and there were people still swimming/noisy at 11:15p. A fight in the next room also awoke us a 1:45a and they did nothing about that either We also had no one seat us in the breakfast area, they didn't clean any of the 15+ tables the entire 45 min. it took us to get an egg sandwich and some very minimal breakfast. They were clearly waiting for all the guests to leave the breakfast area so a bridal party could set up for a lunch or dinner making us very uncomfortable. It was a total nightmare F- and we usually LOVE the Choice hotels chain

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if it's near the pool, handicap accessible and what exactly does "complim...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DiggerMagee
Joanne T, Guest Relations Manager at Pocono Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

I am sorry you were not happy with your stay here at our hotel. I have shared your comments with our Owner and Department Managers to address the issues you mentioned. What happened during your stay is not the norm for our hotel and we will definitely take steps to ensure that it does not happen again.

I have also talked to the owners of the restaurant and have expressed your concerns with them. It is not the norm to have a guest wait for the amount of time that you did for their food. He has assured me that he will look into this.

Again I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay and hope that you might consider giving us another chance to show you a more enjoyable stay if you are in this area again.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

First a quick note in response to other reviews:
This hotel isn't a Four Seasons hotel, but for some reason people here are complaining for things that they should have known when they checked in. Things such as no breakfast or the price. This place is competitive for the area, most other hotels are much more. And how can you complain about no free breakfast if you knew that when you booked? It's strange to complain about something that wasn't included in the price.

My review:
For the price (compared to other hotels around the area at this time of the season), this hotel was good enough for a place to stay. The pool was clean, some water around the deck, but I don't see how that is avoidable. The rooms were a little dark, but clean and comfortable. After talking to the staff, the hotel is under going renovations, and thanks to a Management change, apparently is in much better hands.

We got in late, and didn't eat at the restaurant, so can't make a comment there, but there was a few people eating what smelt like good food. The pub had some sort of dj and the crowd was an interesting bunch to watch, it was a good time. Drink prices were reasonable as well.

Overall thoughts:
As I stated, it is an older hotel, but I have stayed in hotels that give you the creeps sleeping there, this one didn't. Sure, it has some older looking rooms, but they seem to be working hard at getting it updated. At least it is a solid place to spend the night. The area is expensive, so this is as good of a deal as any that you will get. I wouldn't have any problems booking here again.

Room Tip: A room with pool access was nice to have. Easy walk out deck to the pool. Only downside is you got...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole P

I would like to take the time to thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I have shared this with our owner and our department managers. It is nice to be able to also share a nice review with all of our employees too, it lets us and them know that all of our hard work does pay off.

We are doing numerous renovations in all areas of the hotel and hope that you will come back again when we are finished to see the finished product!

We look forward to seeing you again and thanks once more for your lovely review.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were not expecting a five star hotel, just someplace to spend the night while picking up the girls at camp. We were not expecting a smoky room with a dented door. The front desk offered us a can of spray to combat the smell. Really? After dinner, I went into the bathroom, pulled back the shower curtain and found a PAIR OF MEN'S BOXER BRIEFS HANGING FROM THE SHOWER ROD! This time the unapologetic front desk gave us a slightly cleaner room with an intact door and no underwear anywhere in sight. Awful!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Adhd1974
Joanne T, Guest Relations Manager at Pocono Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

I am sorry you had some concerns during your stay with us. I will be speaking with our Owner and Department Managers regarding the issues you had. This is not the norm for our hotel and I will definitely address your concerns.

I apologize for the smoky smell but unfortunately even though we are a nonsmoking facility people do smoke in the rooms. This is not an excuse for your problem but we do strive to make sure that guest do not have these problems.

Again we are sorry and hope that you may give us another chance to show you a more enjoyable stay in the future

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Upon check in we were treated by two friendly women that made it very easy to check in and we had a couple of laughs as well. Our room was very clean, it may have needed some minor renovations but it looks like the hotel is in the process of doing this. So no complaints there. We got in kind of late 7ish and went to the bar. This is when the problem started. The bartender was bad at best. I tried 4 different drinks before I decided to play it safe and go with a beer. He had no idea how to mix drinks, I thought maybe it was just me but there were others coming to the bar and complaining as well. This place is a gold mine. It has ans amazing pool, a restaurant and a bar where they have live music. Once there renovations are complete this will be the place to stay. They do however need a knowledgable bartender and a better stocked bar. Just my opinion but several guests had to order other drinks because they didn't have what they wanted. I am. Sure this will be part of the renovation. I heard it was under new management and I'm sure they are feeling things out to make it a great expirience for their guests. It is a great property. I think to pass it up would be a huge mistake as I think it will be getting better and better.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Joanne T, Guest Relations Manager at Pocono Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review. We are glad that you had a great time and I will certainly let the owner and our department managers know.

As you stated, we are under new management in our bar and restaurant and I will certainly pass along your comments to them. We are trying to get a feel for what guests want and need in all areas of the hotel and by your feedback it gives us something more to work on to improve.

Again I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Appeared not enough employees to handle issues. Pool not monitored, opened past time that should be closed. No phones working in rooms . Advised storm took out phones, yet phone worked at front desk. Am went to have breakfast no one came into restaurant to seat us or anything.we waited five mins and went to front desk and no one there, waited again five mins. Finally Joanne came out to desk but did not know why no one in restaurant . We had to go to Perkins across street. We were also told free breakfast when we made reservations. No air conditioning. We came to rest and enjoy vacation but music played loudly in pool area made it hard to do that. No stopper in tub so could not take bath. Toilet fixing was old and broke had to wait for maintenance. Really someone should check into the renovation . Our room looked like the worked on it and quit. Sparkle all over carpet. Room service never came to change bed. We left at 8am and returned at 5:20 pm and was told they were still cleaning. No one ever came. On the outside looked nice inside really dumpy. The exit doors do not shut so anyone could walk in.

Room Tip: Close until you have it completely done and enough employees
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Joanne T, Guest Relations Manager at Pocono Plaza Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

I am sorry you were not happy with your stay with us. We are under renovations in all areas of the hotel and are working hard to get them done. As with everything it will take some time.

I have conveyed your concerns to the appropriate department managers as we strive to make sure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay.

We hope to have all renovations done within a few months and hope that you will come back and let us show you a more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The location of this hotel was great for us but unfortunately we were a little disappointed with the accommodations. The set up is great but it could be cleaner and updated. This hotel needs a little TLC.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

We are sorry that you had some concerns during your stay with us. We agree that the hotel needs some TLC and are now in the process of doing that. We hope to be done in a few months with all of the renovations in all of our rooms.

We appreciate that you took time to send a review and hope that you will give us another chance when we are done with all of our renovations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Hampton Inn & Suites Stroudsburg Bartonsville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Stroudsburg Bartonsville/Poconos

Been to Pocono Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!