“POCONOS MT AREA JIM THORPE”

Pocono Mountains Visitors Center
Ranked #6 of 26 things to do in Stroudsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitor Center for information on the Pocono Mountains for places to stay, things to do, events and attractions.
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I have visited the Poconos area many times over the last few years with my destination being Hazelton, PA. I have always stayed at the Mt Laurel "resort" in White Haven PA in spite of the less than stellar reviews. It is true that the grounds are poorly maintained, but you can tell that this place has tremendous potential and was once glorious. I stay there because the staff is great and I love sleeping nestled in the Poconos.

While in the are, visit Eckley Miner Village and charming Jim Thrope PA. There are all sorts of festivals in the spring, summer and fall, so do some research. Also, if you have an interest in history, read up on coal mining and the related historical events. Coal mining deeply shaped this area of the world. Regardless of the time of year, hop over to Jack Frost Big Boulder area right down the street from Mt Laurel. This area is a resort village with ski slopes, lakes, hiking, cabins, etc. Many good restaurants in this area, so save your appetite for a visit to Big Boulder.

1  Thank STENISE

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Very clean bathrooms and plenty of brochures and newspapers to let you see what's around the area, loved it!

1  Thank Alisa G
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Peacefulness, Scenery, Shopping. Been traveling to the Pocono's for many years. Prefer this over the seashore, which I also travel to in the summer.. Just wish there were more restaruants that had better foods, preferably "steak"

Reviewed 5 November 2012

How is a visitor's bureau not open on a Saturday? I was very disappointed that we couldn't get information about the area when we were only there for the weekend...

3  Thank Ashley H
Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

I had expected more for information but there is nothing special about this place. I guess I'm use to the travel info stops along the NJ turnpike. I picked up a few brochures and left.