“Good, but could use bigger portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Thai Orchid

Thai Orchid
Ranked #1 of 120 Restaurants in Stroudsburg
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Thai Orchid serves fresh authentic Thai food created by owner/chef Kanya Nicholas. Her experience comes from the Northeast area of Thailand and Bangkok. Her menu features traditional Thai dishes and some selections not found in many restaurants outside of Thailand. Dining–in and take-out is available. The hours are Tuesday thru Sunday opening at 10:30 am until 9:00pm on weekdays and open until 10:00 pm on Fridays & Saturdays. Free convenient parking!Hours: Sun, Tues, Wed, Thurs - 11:00am - 9:30pm Fri & Sat 11:00am - 10:00pm
“Good, but could use bigger portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were traveling through Stroudsburg and decided to stop by. This place is definitely a better option than your typically chain restraurant or hole-in-the wall stripmall Chinese joint. The food was good, but my biggest complaint is that it was a dinner price for a lunch sized portion. I ordered the Dragon curry, which was supposed to be their hottest curry available. The owner even commented that it was too hot for him. I would call it a medium, at best. Fortunately, they had some extra peppers and sauce that I could add to make it better. The place is quite small, but it was clean and the staff was friendly.

• Visited July 2014

Stroudsburg, PA
“Thai Orchid”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

First thing we noticed upon walking in is that the place is clean! There's no mistaking the fact that Thai Orchid has a well established local clientele. When we got there the dining room was only partially full; when we left, about an hour later at 7:00 pm, the dining room was full; and there were several customers waiting in the lobby for their takeout orders to be ready.

Over the past year my wife and I have discovered Thai restaurants; and, quite frankly, we've become Thai food addicts! After living in the area for the past fifteen years we've decided that there are only three restaurants worth eating at in or around Stroudsburg. The whole area tends to be an overpriced, tourist-orientated, 'gastronomic hell'. (No, I'm NOT kidding; and, yes, we're experienced enough diners to know, 'what's hot, and what's not'.)

The food at the Thai Orchid is good, but not great. If I were to stack it up against the other three really excellent Thai restaurants we've eaten at, Thai Orchid would come in fourth. The food was fresh; but the ingredients were not as attractive, varied, or plentiful as we've had at other Thai restaurants.

There's no fish stew; there's no spare ribs; the portions are (by my best guess) only about seventy-five percent of what we've been served elsewhere; and what this restaurant is doing with Greek desserts on the menu completely mystifies me!

This said, my wife's entree was very good! She had a rice dish with some of the freshest and best ginger sauce on it that either of us have ever tasted. Where management fell short began with our request for, 'brown rice' - Which added a total of $4.00 to our bill. We expected to receive genuine, long-grain, unbleached, (organic) brown rice. What we got, instead, was some sort of flavored, colored, and excessively sweetened, processed white rice. (I grimaced when it was served; but we decided not to say anything.)

The second faux pas occurred when I complimented their rather attractive waitress on the delicious ginger sauce. (It really was good: fresh, not too sweet, and flavorful.) I asked for a separate order to use on the roast duck I was eating. (Pretty good duck, too; and I particularly liked the (pickled?) hard boiled egg!) The original sauce my duck came with was too sweet; and, deprived of real brown rice, I was anxious to get the excessive sweetness out of what was, otherwise, an acceptable dish!

The waitress disappeared for a moment and returned to the table with a, 'sorry, but, no can do' excuse. (I would have paid any reasonable amount; but the chef was inflexible.) After being, somewhat, disappointed by the appetizers we decided against topping off a dinner of Thai cuisine with Greek baklava - Baklava?

Quite frankly, if Thai Orchid management (or their inflexible chef) had served us real brown rice; and, perhaps, acceded to my request for more of their excellent ginger sauce I'd have overlooked the rather ho-hum menu, the second class appetizers, and slightly undercooked vegetables.

Still, in talking this experience over with my wife, we both agreed that we'd eat there again; only, next time, we know what to expect. The place is clean! The food is - if not exceptional - acceptable, and tasty enough.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank G19_4Me
Baltimore
“Decent for the area”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Really mediocre Thai food when compared to those available in larger cities. However, I'm going to assume Thai Orchid is probably the best you can find in the Stroudsburg, PA area.

I'm impressed that Thai Orchid's menu is pretty diverse and still relatively inexpensive. Thai iced tea is always a win. A good amount of appetizers are available, though definitely not up to par in terms of taste. The few desserts that are offered are decent. Strangely, you can get baklava at this Thai restaurant. As for the entrees, most of the staples are available, but will come in extremely small portions. The pad see ew is decent, the curry varieties are okay, but the pad thai seems to be overly imbued with turmeric to the point where it becomes unappetizing. There are lunch specials on certain days of the week, where you can get a complimentary small appetizer to go with an entree.

All in all, Thai Orchid is probably a 3/5 in my book at best, but the fact that my sister spit out a piece of metal wire from brillo while eating her meal wasn't too cool.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Tunaidi
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were frequent customers of a different thai restaurant in the area...we decided to try this place out and it was amazing!! Everything is scratch made and worth the mobey. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited May 2014
Haddam, Connecticut, United States
“Shockingly good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We were staying at Great Wolf Lodge and needed some "real" food for my very picky family... We drove and drove and finally took a chance on this little thai restaurant. Oh boy. From my 75 year old mother to my 5 year old son, all 5 of us were in heaven. We came back the next night and ate the same exact thing. Wish we could go back tonight. Thai iced tea, ginger tea, amazing. Sauces are made from scratch adn emulsified; probably the best most authentic, flavorful thai food we've ever had.

• Visited May 2014