“Nice intimate atmosphere”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Food always good, service excellent.. The appetizers and soups are killer. Nice bar with good wine selection

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went there recently for my birthday. 5:00 reservation gave us 20% off our bill. I had the duck, he had the chicken. Both were well prepared and delicious. We also had appetizers, for me 3 oysters, $1 each and he ate my free birthday lobster tail because I'm allergic to lobster. Dessert was shared by us, a free sampler of ice cream that was clearly homemade, delicious. The ice cream was also free due to it being my birthday. The entrees were a little pricey at $32 for the duck and $28 for the chicken but the early bird discount made that more palatable. The waitress was attentive and it was overall a lovely meal!

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

There isn't a lot of choice for fine dining in the Poconos. It has become overrun with chains. The stone bar is a good choice. Unlike other reviews I would highly recommend the wine cellar because it is quieter and a bit more intimate than the bar restaurant upstairs. I never plays much stock in someone who writes a review who has only written one or two reviews and seems to have an axe to grind. I was not at all bothered with the potatoes. After all this is a country inn and bar restaurant. The service was very good. It was perhaps a bit on the slow side but with perfect for a relaxing dinner on a Saturday night. We started with the escargot which was fantastic. It was prepared in garlic butter and perfectly tender. The special that night was flounder stuffed with crab. We each got that. It was perfectly prepared and the stuffing had a great flavor. It was with a medley of roasted vegetables. The sauce on the fish was fantastic and really pared with the much-maligned potatoes. Dinner comes with a salad and the choice with the berries and nuts and poppy seed dressing was fantastic. I had the sorbet bombe for dessert which was three flavors of sorbet in a white chocolate shell with a raspberry sauce. My guest has the creme brulee also with a raspberry sauce. It was our second time there and this meal was more memorable than the first. Maybe there are some issues with the inconsistency in reading the other reviews but it seems like the complaints are personal axes people are grinding over early bird specials and mashed potatoes. To suggest that it would be better to go to Bethlehem for dinner not only ignored the 30 minute drive but also understates the quality of the stone bar. It is not worth 5 points but it is a very solid 4 and one of the best choices when looking for nice dining experience in the Poconos which are sadly lacking in fine dining choices. I will return. I will request a table in the wine cellar and I expect to have another outstanding meal.

1  Thank Ken P
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Girlfriend and I decided to splurge on dinner but both Bolete and The Apollo were booked solid, so we decided to check this place out based on some friends' recommendations. She had the duck and I had the lamb - both were OK, not fantastic for their respective price tags. What really struck the both of us as REALLY odd was that the mashed potatoes on our plates were pretty much unmistakably of the instant variety.

We sat in the wine cellar, which was honestly a bit too quiet and close-quartered to have a conversation that the table next to you couldn't help but hear, and the music being piped out of the speaker 6 feet from my head was the cheesy sirius xm coffee shop station - the ones where untalented people make terrible acoustic covers of famous hit music.

Maybe we made poor choices on our food, or maybe it was an off night in the kitchen or maybe the positive reviews garnered thus far have come from the new yorkers coming from the city thinking this is a "great deal", but that still doesn't excuse the fact that instant mashed potatoes actually touched my plate and I wasn't paying $1.75 for them.

This place is generally a skip if you're looking for fine dining. I walked out of there with a pre-tip bill of $100 and got KFC grade instant mashed potatoes for it. Do yourself a favor, drive the extra 30 miles to Bethlehem and patronize Bolete, the Apollo or Edge for the same price.

2  Thank WorldCitizen00
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The food was excellent. I ordered salmon, my husband had garlic chicken. You could tell the chef took time to prepare each dish. The food tasted fresh and delicious. The atmosphere was amazing. After a long day of playing in the snow, dinner by a fireplace was all we needed. The service was great, I felt like I didn't have to ask or wait for anything. The waitress' suggestions were spot on. It was a little pricey, but definitely worth every penny.

1  Thank croal