“Didn't live up to its rating”
Review of Sarah Street Grill

Sarah Street Grill
Ranked #8 of 120 Restaurants in Stroudsburg
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Vineland, New Jersey
“Didn't live up to its rating”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

After reading some many great reviews I was very disappointed. Service was slow. Food was not very good. The beer selection was very basic. Bottom line, it was not what I expected. Also finding your way into this place is difficult. They need some signs.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank 331andy
SarahStreetGrill, General Manager at Sarah Street Grill, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
I am very sorry your review , and the review before yours, were unsatisfied with your time here at Sarah Street. I do get a little defensive to some of the comments, but I am mostly disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with your experience here. We are a very busy, and continuously growing business, and have been for 19 years. We do over 2000 lunches and dinners per week, and it is our goal that everyone leaves here feeling great about the time spent here. Unfortunately we have only accomplished that with most of our reviews, and our goal is to get that from everyone.

We do have over 100 different bottles, and 14 different beers on tap, so it is a little odd to feel that was an inadequate or common selection. As far as signage, we are located in the middle of a town and surrounded be residential buildings and do the best we can. We have a new sign for our "alley" side of the building being made as we speak, but that is actually more of the exit side of the parking lot, as it is a one way road.

There is never an excuse of poor service or food that does not leave our clients satisfied. That said, we are a very busy place with a very extensive menu of American style food (steaks, burgers, chicken dishes, seafood, pastas, bar style food, salads, daily specials, seasonal house garden, and more), and the best Sushi in the area. I don't love everything we have (not a huge garlic or fried food fan), and recently made some changes to the menu on things that I felt were not up to my par. Every single thing removed from the menu was complained to be gone by someone! Well that is why we have a very varied menu, and perhaps the choices you made were not your favorite, but someone else's. I am pretty sure you would find many things far above your par if you explored our menu in more detail. That has been the experience of most of our patrons, and the reason we have so many repeat ones.

Service is something our management staff and servers themselves are seeking perfection in. That said, it can be hard when your restaurant is very busy, and you have upstairs and down, and inside and outside seating. Most of our servers have been here for many years, but new ones can struggle in a place of so much to know. We never have a day go by that we are not leading and teaching our servers to give the best service possible. We really encourage our patrons to share their experience so we can give credit to those that deserve it and more training and instruction to those that need it. No one lasts here for long that isn't adequate and striving to be excellent.

As to the review before yours, that we are "overpriced and not great", well I know our food costs, labor costs, and maintenance costs of running a high volume and unique restaurant, and I know we are NOT overpriced. The huge amount of repeat and loyal customers has to discredit that evaluation.

These review sites are a great place for someone to learn about a business they have not been to, but they also give a lot of power to a few. It is important to read a good share of the reviews, because if two bad ones come in a row, it can give a very misleading interpretation of what the extreme majority feel.

Thank you for taking the time to talk/write about your time here, and hopefully my input has given you and the review before yours, the urge to try us again. If not you, then maybe the other people that have not been here yet, and deciding if they want to give us a visit.

David Lapoint
Owner/GM Sarah Street Grill since established in 1995

Berlin, New Jersey
“Overprice and not great!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I spent $40 on to two beers and two bready sandwichs. I had sweet potatoe fries, they were stale and soggy. Our steak sandwichs were to have roasted peppers, NONE! Our stomaches were killing us later, had to get Rolaids. STAY AWAY, unless you have an iron stomach.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank sweenman85
River Vale, New Jersey
“Rehearsal Dinner”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently visited Sarah Street Grill for a rehearsal dinner with a party of about 25. The person who coordinated the party picked out a few items that would appeal to everyone and had the restaurant create a fixed menu. Appetizers were spinach/artichoke dip, bruschetta, mozzarella wedges, and salad. Absolutely fantastic! The dip was to die for, bruschetta was very fresh, the mozarella wedges were hot and crispy, and the salad consisted of fresh spring greens and balsamic dressing. Choices of entrees were 3 different types of angus burgers w/ fries, salmon with fresh veggies and mini roasted potatoes, and chicken francaise with rice pilaf. I had the salamon and it was cooked perfectly as were the sides. My boyfriend had the Big Red Burger and said it was one of the best burgers he ever had. My parents had the chicken francaise and said that was excellent as well. Dessert was a choice of a brownie ala mode or strawberry shortcake. I had the brownie and it was pretty good. A bit too sweet for me but most people like that so don't let my opinion get in the way. The strawberry shortcake looked excellent and I heard it was just as good. No one had any problems with their food and all had a great time. The servers were attentive and friendly, as well. I would definitely return to Sarah Street Grill if I am ever in the area again.

• Visited July 2014
NY, NY
“Tasty food with outdoor seating”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great little gem one block off main street. It's very dark inside but you want to eat outside on the upstairs patio so that doesn't matter. They have a vast menu and even a separate sushi menu?!? Didn't go that route but all the surrounding tables had platters of it and seemed to enjoy. We had some tasty beverages and shared a few appetizers; all enjoyable. If you're looking for good reliable fare you can't miss at SSG. They also seem to be the main live music venue in town.

Visited June 2014
Dallas, Pennsylvania
“A MUST stop when in Stroudsburg!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have been to the Sarah Street grill a total of five times. Any time I go to a show at the Sherman Theater a stop at Sarah Street is always in order! I have tried many things off the large menu and have yet to be disappointed. No matter if you want a full meal or just a snack, there is something for everyone. The wings are absolutely delicious and the burgers are huge and very tasty. The sushi is very fresh, comparable to restaurants that specialize in Japanese cuisine! Creative, well made food and drinks, a great atmosphere, and very friendly and experienced staff make this my go to destination whenever in town!

• Visited May 2014