“Nothing special”

Ranked #3 of 125 Restaurants in Stroudsburg
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner
Description: North 9th Street Restaurant offers lunch, dinner, pizza, and dessert. Everything is homemade and we use the finest ingredients. Our goal is to provide our customers a good experience each and every time! From pizza and sandwiches to wraps and salads, we have something to satisfy every appetite! Best of all we only buy local produce and foods to ensure its freshness. We make most of our sauces, pastries, desserts, entrees, and special foods from scratch.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My family ate here simply because of the very high reviews. And I have to say we were disappointed. The food was fine, just really nothing special. And there was no ambiance to speak of. I would have preferred to eat outside on Main St.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stopped in for dinner based on the amazing reviews we had read. The place was empty when we arrived, but I was fine with that. That just meant all attention would be directed toward us. Received or sodas quickly and put in our orders. I had a meatball parm sandwich and my husband had a stuffed meatball.

He received a salad with his dinner entree and they brought out some warm bread as well. That bread was fantastic! Seemed homemade. My husband's side salad was a little lackluster--mostly iceburg lettuce with a sliver or two of pink tomato--but not out of the norm for a side salad.

The main entrees were where this place got it wrong. The wait staff seemed distracted, and it did take a pretty long time to receive our food. I was totally ok with this because I knew it was made to order. But when we received our food it was unfortunately undercooked. My meatball sandwich had parts that were done and others that were quite pink. My husband's stuffed meatball was also quite pink in the middle. Steaks can be pink, yes, but ground meat should never be so we were put off. I was going to send my sandwich back, but the waitress disappeared and didn't come back until a while later. Aside from the undercookedness, the sandwich was actually pretty good. The fries were tasty, fresh cut, and Boardwalk style, but were dripping in fryer oil. My husband didn't receive the gravy for his stuffed meatball. I didn't realize to tell him until toward the end when I asked him how the gravy was and he responded, "What gravy?"

I feel like maybe they were just having an off night, but my vacation is too short to try them again this go around. Maybe we'll give them another shot next time we're in the area, if we don't die from e. coli first. There was a lot of potential--the sauce on my sandwich was great and the bread was good--but execution and attention to detail was not spot on.

3  Thank luckyJQ9
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Yesterday we decided to visit this place after we red reviews and we did not regret, today we came back for another dinner and it was as good as yesterday. Me and my wife like to share dishes, so we tried yesterday garlic shrimps with pasta and chopped lamb with rice. Today we tried stuffed meatball and schnitzel, both with home made mash potato, for desert we had German chocolate cake and carrot cake. All food and desert are made from scratch. Everything we tried was delicious. Food quality, service and price will not disappoint you. Too bad our vacation is over and we going back to New York tomorrow.

1  Thank Vladimir G
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Every town needs a restaurant like this. This is a family-owned and operated local restaurant with a real HOMEMADE touch, a crown jewel in the Poconos. Almost everything is made from scratch, and its noticeable. This family has pride in its work, and you can tell from the way the food is cooked, the ingredients used, and the awesome personalities and enthusiasm they put on display for their guests.

I was joking that it was a shame they didnt make Chicken Marsala, and the waitress disappeared in the back, and without me officially asking, offered to make it. To my surprise, it was one of the best Chicken Marsalla's Ive ever tasted. Kudos to the chef!

Portions are huge, the waitress service is fast, and attentive. My water was changed three times without me asking once, and desserts are divine.

Lastly prices are very reasonable. This is the place in the Poconos for top quality food in an old fashioned small bistro format, and it deserves to be rated #1 in the Poconos by Tripadvisor readers.

2  Thank SoldinthePoconos
Reviewed 7 July 2014

After reading the reviews for this place we made a detour on our way back to Massachusetts to check this place out. It looks like a little pizza place and you'll miss it if you blink. Just a few tables in front of a bakery case with a kitchen in the back where they prepare everything from scratch.

With the raves about the wiener schnitzel my husband gave it a try and loved it (even though he doesn't like veal). The tasty cabbage side dish with a hint of beet juice was so delicious we asked them for a side of it to take with us. Alas, they made a helping just for him and so there wasn't any out back to send (but can you imagine someone making an individual portion?)

I had the lamb which was in the most wonderful sauce and was a big enough helping for the next day. A request for mashed potatoes instead of rice was happily accommodated.

I broke my gluten free diet to try the carrot cake. My husband pronounced it a "grown ups" carrot cake: moist and delicious but not overly sweet.

The owners share the duties. She is the baker and he is the cook. He came out before we left and checked on our meal. Their teenage son was also working that day and I could see their commitment to cleanliness as the boy washed his hands every time he passed the sink!

It isn't fancy, but the food is amazingly good and if their good reputation keeps spreading, they are going to outgrow that little space in no time.