“Excellent location, great outdoor spaces, needs a little updating”

Chateau Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tannersville
West Hempstead
“Excellent location, great outdoor spaces, needs a little updating”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our neighborhood soccer club has been coming to Pennsylvania for soccer tournaments for the last five years and with the exception of a Hampton Inn, this is the best hotel we've stayed at so far. Yes, it needs a little updating. Yes, the hallways had garbage and room service trays out all day. Yes, the buffet was overpriced and the food mediocre. But the pools and the outdoor decks were nice and scenic, the rooms were clean and the help was accommodating. There were movies for our kids and spaces to hang out and chat (important when travelling with multiple families). The bar was spacious and reasonable with live entertainment.

Many of the families took the suites on the 4th floor and loved the circular stair and the extra space. We had two full beds that were comfortable and clean. The bathrooms were clean, the shower was fine. The closet doorknob was a little sticky, but a quick swipe with a washcloth solved that.

I hope our club chooses the Chateau next year for their stay.

Room Tip: if you have more than 5 persons, ask for a 4th floor suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
green4859
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed for two nights at this resort during the Memorial Day Weekend. I bought the Groupon voucher so we got a good deal for a double bed room. First off, the resort was average...not spectacular but not run down. The room served its purpose for us to be there for two nights. A couple of things I didn't really like...(1) the shower area wasn't properly cleaned when we got there so we had to call for them to clean it; (2) we had to pay for a mini refrigerator which I thought should already be a standard in a resort room; (3) we had to ask for an iron because one was missing in our room...not a biggie but that should've been there already; and lastly (4) the service was fine...they just take a bit long to fulfill our request. The good thing about staying at the resort is that it was so close to the Camelbeach Mountain Waterpark and The Crossings Premium Outlet. It's pretty convenient to a lot of restaurants too.

Room Tip: Request for a room with the view of the lake.
West Hempstead, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

As other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is in desperate need of updating. We had a loft room which included a pull out sofa on the main floor, and a small spiral staircase that led upstairs to a double bed. For a family of four, it was fine. The room was clean, and we had a newer TV (many reviewers complained about old TVs). View of Camelback trails from our room.

The weather was cool, but heat rises and in order to get it cool in the loft, you had to make the lower level freezing ... too cold for children. We had to ask that housekeeping clean the ceiling fan, because it was filled with dust. They did clean it and we used it the following night.

Ran out of hot water for showering (the hotel was at full capacity), which, to me, is just completely unacceptable at any hotel. This was at 6 p.m. after a full say of soccer.

Didn't have breakfast at hotel, did not go to pool, so I can't comment on that.

Front desk staff was pleasant enough, and check in/out was fast.

Out of all the hotels we have stayed at for soccer tournaments over the years, this one was average.

Room Tip: Face Camelback. Ask for fourth floor so you don't have running feet above your head all night lo...
1 Thank momeees
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I did not have high expectations heading to this "resort" because of the many negative reviews on Tripadvisor. They were all completely accurate. This hotel is at least 10 years past a major renovation and update. It seems to be stuck in the 1980's in style and decor.

Roof tiles were falling off the structure, hallways were dark and almost creepy and garbage bags were left in the hallways. The entrance is not marked at all and had to drive around the parking lot looking for a place to enter. We stayed in 2 bi-level suites, which sounded very cool when reserving them. A hotel room with a spiral staircase leading up to the bedroom area with living area on the main level is a great concept. Unfortunately, the furnishings were outdated it made for a less than average stay. We were travelling with family, so went to utilize the pull-out sofa and found laminated signs in both rooms saying "Do Not Open This Couch Bed is Broken!" I would have understood if it was something that had just happened and the hotel had not yet repaired the problem. However, we had 2 rooms and both couch beds had the sign (and they were laminated which leads me to believe they have been broken for quite some time). It's a shame they advertise the room with a pull out sleeping area, and find they are broken. They did provide each room with an inflatable air mattress, but the had the nerve to charge $10 for one of them.

In the long list of things that need repair, some worth mentioning are the wall air conditioning units did not function properly, the Keurig coffee maker advertised on the website in rooms was non-existent, and there was no internet access to be had. To further the negative experience, going down to the lobby in the morning to get a cup of coffee, I found they do NOT offer complimentary coffee, rather they make you pay $1 for a cup that didn't really pass as coffee. I don't think I have stayed in a hotel in the past 5 years where I couldn't get complimentary coffee. Not only was the room rate high at $169, it was ridiculous for the lack of amenities. The staff were all pleasant, both on the phone and in person, but this "resort" needs much more than a friendly staff to make me ever want to visit again.

1 Thank Joanfd

Travellers are raving about these Tannersville hotels

Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

On the positive it could not have a better location for the mountain resort right on the doorstep. It was clean and tidy the room was clean and spacious but it is badly in need of a refurb, the architectural style is 1980s and the public areas looked original and tired. The bedroom had a concrete ceiling and was rather basic at 170 bucks for the room only, not good value. The Italian buffet on the Friday night was enjoyable, breakfast was a mass catering self service buffet, nothing cooked fresh to order

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ceejay01Uk
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We recently visited this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I was disappointed to see some of the very basic amenities in poor state. The spa was closed. The TV in the room was not giving good picture. The chair upholstery was torn and unclean. The bathroom sink had cracks.
All my thoughts of putting an impressive show were ruined.
The only 2 things that stood out were the location and swimming pool.

1 Thank Abhishek N
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Abhishek-

Thank you for the review and the pictures. Neither of which are acceptable. I trust the desk was able to help you move to a proper accommodation so that maintenance can be done on this room. The TVs are new TVs, just recently installed flatscreens so that absolutely should not be happening.

I do apologize for the sauna being under renovation. We are sanding and re-staining so that the experience is more enjoyable.

Please do give me a call so that I can discuss your concerns specifically. 570 629-5900.

I appreciate the opportunity to fix this issue-

John
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I am blown away by all the good reviews, are people blind? When we got there was shocked it looked nothing like the pics online, we got in the elevator (not to be trusted) gross, door had hard time closing, scarey both of them, got to the hall there was garbage bags in the hall at 3pm and stayed there till 8pm. Got into the room mold all around the windows, in the bathroom mold around mirror, other peoples hair on tub wall, personal hair from you know where on the sheets, in the sheets, went to the pool, the floor was flaking in the pool, there was green mold all over the ceiling. The hot tub bearly worked. Then as I was leaving I got stuck in the elevator which I am assuming happens a lot cause the lady at the desk said she was tired of those elevators. So I have no clue where you people are talking about or maybe it was year ago.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank abyandnat
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Abyandnat-

Thank you for your review and comments. Judging by your comments and the picture, that room is not acceptable and I trust that Guest Services changed and upgraded your room when you called it to their attention.

I have used your review to share with our staff the importance of what they do and this should have been caught before it was given to you.

I would like to get some more detail about your stay, so please do call me at 570 629-5900.

John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tannersville
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Chateau Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!