“On the fence about this one.”

Chateau Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tannersville
Middletown, New York
“On the fence about this one.”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I arrived at the resort with my family for a one night stay with all intentions of visiting a nearby water park. Upon arriving I noticed the hotel was a bit run down, no water offered in the vending machines on our floor and no ice machine on the floor. I also noticed during the night, there were also some fruit flies that appeared in the bathroom. (No idea where they came from) The service was super slow during breakfast and the waitress had to keep apologizing for how long the food was taking. Otherwise, the pools were clean and the rooms were spacious. The grounds could use a bit more TLC but it was really nice. I wouldn't pay full price to stay here again. If offered at a discount it wouldn't be too bad to stay for one or two quick nights.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Flip2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend this hotel.
It's a bit run down and dirty. From the minute you pull up to the place you do NOT know where to check in.
The name makes it appealing, from the worn out chairs in the lobby to the awful smell in the hall ways. The room musty, bathroom is little and the shower bad. I'm always a little leary on reading reviews and wondering if people really are a bit upscale, this hotel says 3 stars I have to rate 1 at best. The thing that it is conveniently located is all this has going for it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Linda C

Travellers are raving about these Tannersville hotels

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here for my birthday and had a great time! Loved the pools and the service was great! The location is awesome and our view from our room was amazing. Def recommend this place. My daughter loved the video game room and the pool. The staff is very nice. We will def be back again.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Bellamarieny
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
BellaMarieNY-

Thank you for your review. I am glad you and your family had a great stay with us!

Please do say hello on your next trip.

Havre de Grace, Maryland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Would NOT recommend this Resort to a friend, or anyone. Highly disappointed. Went for a family weekend, mini vacation. Booked the bi-level suite for 4 (2 adults, 2 older children). Picture doesn't show it, but we assumed at least 2 beds - nope! 1 bed, 1 very old, hard sofa bed that no one should try to sleep on. They brought a cot up and that was worse than the sofa bed - never even used it. The front desk told us to use several comforters, as that usually helps make it more comfortable - that is what the workers used when they got stuck there during hurricane Sandy. The most uncomfortable room that I have ever stayed in. Trying to watch TV with my family was so uncomfortable. The desk chair was broke. The leg to the desk was broke and just put in place. The room was not vacuumed and popcorn and other "food' and trash fell out when we opened the sofa bed. The person cleaning the room never cleaned it up the next day when room service came in - just sort of pushed it under the sofa, but still visible. Didn't replace any of the cups we used, so we didn't have any. Coffee maker took like 20 -30 minutes to make a 4 cup pot of coffee! Really?! Room service trays for other rooms were left int he hallway for 2 days. Not sure what the hotel did with the money they charge for these overpriced rooms, but it certainly isn't put back into the hotel. Maybe in the game room!! The game room was filled with nice arcade games for the very young kids. The restaurant was serving an Italian buffet when we checked in so we were not allowed anything off the menu except apps and sandwiches. Our server never came back to refill our drinks and when she finally came back, she smelled so bad of cigarettes it was disgusting! Never even asked us at that point if we needed anything, just gave us our check. Needless to say, we never ate at the restaurant, not even breakfast, the rest of our stay! One of the reasons we chose this hotel/resort, is because it had a restaurant. The pictures on the website look much nicer than what it really looks like!! Others on our floor were just as disappointed, especially seeing the room service trays sitting in the hall way as long as they did. Just seems like a run down hotel. I definitely feel like I got ripped off for the amount of money I spent! The only reason I'll give it a star is because of the two at the front desk Friday night when we checked in - a young guy and his supervisor. She tried to help us out by offering us more comforters for the sofa bed!! There is so much more that is not good about this place, but you can read about it from others' review! Just would never stay here again or recommend this place to anyone. This was supposed to be a surprise mini vacation and it turned out to be a big disappointment!! :( (says free wi-fi - couldn't connect and spent over 1/2 an hour on the phone with someone that didn't seem to know what he was doing and never got me connected - so never had the "free wi-fi")

11 Thank Stephanie S
Stephanie S-

I am truly sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. What you describe is unacceptable. If you can call me, I would like to get more information about your specific concerns.

As to some of your concerns raised, we do advertise the bi-level suites as couple rooms with double occupancy, they are not intended to sleep families, although in a pinch the pull out beds can be used.

And we are in the process of installing Keurig coffee makers replacing the pots that you described. Unfortunately, it is obvious that you did not receive a room with one of these new machines.

Please do give me a call at 570 629-5900 so that I can restore your faith in our property.

John
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The facility is a bit rundown. And musty smelling from the AC I would guess. The service was excellent. But I expected a nicer place for the money. I imagine there are better deals in the area. Getting to the site was a bit of a trick. The GPS wasn't up to the task but I called the hotel and they gave me good directions. One treadmill was erratic but we just used another.

1 Thank John22580
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
John22580-

We are very glad you liked our food. Our chef takes the menu and the daily seasonal specials very seriously, thank you.

As to the GPS, yes, it is an issue in our area. Although their is only two turns off the highway, I rely on my GPS when visiting locations and I know how frustrating that can be.

I would be interested in hearing which room you stayed in that was musty so that we can address it specifically.

Thanks again for the review and feedback!

Ontario
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stopped here for a quick overnight's rest enroute to New York City. We had great difficulty finding the property at night as it was not "GPS friendly" (so said the front desk clerk). The rooms were very basic and dated.

Definitely no-frills. I wouldn't pay much for this hotel.

1 Thank netgeek
Netgeek-

I am sorry that the GPS got you turned around and also glad the desk clerk could help. It can be very frustrating when travelling the mountain even though it is only 2 turns off the interstate.

Please do say hello on your next trip.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2014

It's old, smelly and in need of a complete redue...food is way overpriced, the Friday night buffet which consisted of pasta, pasta and somemore pasta...just in different shapes, sauce was straight from a can but it did have chicken marsala which was also poor 22.50 YIKES for pasta... they wanted 10 bucks for a frig per night, are they nuts?? The people, the staff, were all friendly but for my money it gets a 2 star out of 5...It just seems the present ownership is just playing out the string because with it's location and layout it would be a sure winner both summer and winter, close to the river for canoeing and right next to Camelback and Camelbeach....too bad, it could have been a contender...

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank john j
John J-

Thanks for your review. I too enjoy the location and amenities associate with our location and nearby to our property. It is a great asset that we get to partner with.

I also appreciate the kind words about the staff. It is an area we have focused our training.

As to the Italian buffet on Friday night, I am like you, constantly personally shocked at the cost of food especially in the last year how dramatically it has changed. Our Italian buffet which includes antipasto salads and salad bar, 8 hot items (some pastas) a pasta station cooked to order, dessert, beverages and features live entertainment is one that people describe as a value. The menu does change seasonally and our chef takes the quality and the variety very seriously. If you felt that it wasn't a value or there was too much of one type of food, I am truly sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.

Given the positive service you describe, I assume you brought it to someone's attention in the restaurant and they were able to resolve the issue.

If this isn't the case, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tannersville
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Hotel M, Mount Pocono
Hotel M, Mount Pocono
#4 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Chateau Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!