“Not as bad as other reviews”

Chateau Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tannersville
Reviewed 22 August 2014

As i read some of the reviews about this Hotel, I was a bit worried when I arrived with my 2 Kids (20+ years old). The decor is dated, but it's not as bad as some of the other reviews stated. It was clean, the outdoor pool was fantastic and the service was fine. This is not a luxury hotel but certainly worth the $50 a night stay. Me and my 2 kids had a very nice time. You are only in your room to sleep basically, we were busy all day so it really wasn't so bad. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: don't expect much, but it doesnt cost much...so you get what you pay for. Relax and enjoy peopl...
1  Thank Risa K
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2014

Risa K-

I agree with you. We try to provide a great value for a family vacation to our area surrounded by good, genuine, friendly service.

Whether skiing, tubing, shopping, gaming or enjoying the waterpark. Our area offers a ton to do and we try to be an accommodating home base for your trip.

Again, thank you for the kind words.

-John

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I just got back from a 2 nights, 3 days trip to the Poconoes with my best friends. The ONLY saving grace about this hotel is the pool and view of Camelback mountain. The hotel itself is a bland, filthy mess. The staff looked overworked and treated us like they couldn't give a care in the world. That was probably not their fault but either way guest satisfaction should be their number one priority! Here are the main problems we had on our trip: 1. We didn't have any hot water pretty much for our entire stay. Two days in a row we couldn't take a shower. The said it was because their boiler broke but still that is unacceptable! We also asked for a cot (there was 3 of us and the beds were too small to share) and we must have waited an hour and half for them to bring it up to our room. We called twice both times saying we have dinner reservations is the cot coming? When it was finally brought up the woman said she was from SALES and there wasn't anybody else working that could bring it up! She was very nice but we were shocked that a person from sales had to bring it up to us! We also asked for towels the next day because there were nearly not enough in our room and all I got on the phone was attitude. It's like they do not value customer service. Not to mention our room was filthy (take a look at the pictures) and we were treated as if they could care less about us. Finally one HUGE issue that immediately needed to be fixed was the parking lot. You literally risk your life walking through the parking lot at night because they have NO lights on. It was pitch dark. We had to turn the flashlight app on our phones on just to see where we were walking and that no animals were near us. We are in the mountains! It was an easy place for bears and other animals to sneak in at night and search for food. It was insane how dark it was. I called complaining about this and all they said was " the lights are motion detected". What?! We walked through the parking lot for ten minutes trying to look for our car in darkness! It was ridiculous! DO NOT spend your time and money on this place because they Definetly don't care about their guest and the way they present themselves. It's a shame because this place called be a gem. We are Definetly looking forward to the new Camelback Resort being built in 2015 that will most likely shut this dump down!

Room Tip: If you were to choose any room at this place choose a mountain view room. The view is incredible. Bu...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank TravelingChel
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

After reading some not so favorable reviews at first I was a bit worried about how our stay was going to be but I'm happy to say that my worries were unfounded. While the decor itself is dated the cleanliness and the staff more than made up for it. We had a mountain view room and the picture perfect mountainside made for a nice view to wake up to. The food in the on site restaurant was a bit pricey but was good. My only complaint was the fact that there was an issue with the hot water. The pools were clean and the proximity to the water park was great we probably could have walked to it. Would stay again

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marlece C
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Me and a few friends decided to stay at the chateau for a little summer get-a-way. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a spectacular view and much excitement, upon first glance this place has a lot to offer. Their outdoor pool is absolutely lovely and the hotel looks down on a beautiful private lake (complete with a swan!) and camelback mountain.

However, we soon faced some serious troubles. We arrived a bit early and it seemed the only place where you could wait was the lobby area in which the chairs were covered in dirt and grime... Literally a half inch thick on the arms of the chair. So we opted for the outdoor deck. Under direct sunlight the deck is extremely hot, it seemed as though they had some type of cover that wasn't rolled out to provide guests with shade... We headed back inside and ended up standing. At four (guaranteed check in time) we were told our room wasn't ready still so we had to wait longer.

When we finally got to the room, there was an overwhelming smell of must, as well as...dusty furniture, old beds as hard as a rock and the bathroom even had black mold in it. To top it all off, we DIDNT HAVE HOT WATER FOR TWO DAYS STRAIGHT. We couldn't even shower in our own hotel! We were told that the boiler broke. However, we had heard from some guests that there was a fuel leak and NO POLICE OR EMERGENCY COMPANIES WERE CALLED! You could smell the gas. Disgusting.

The parking lot is incredibly dangerous. There are no working lights. One night we called from our car because we were so scared, and the lady told us they were sensor operated. The following night, with flashlights in hand, we took to the parking lot and decided to test this theory. Out of 10+ lights, ONE worked. This is a huge liability for the hotel... Wildlife freely range in the dark and if guests can't see they can very easily get injured.

On our last night, (before we knew the hot water STILL WASNT WORKING), my friend called the front desk to ask for some towels for the morning. The man asked her how many she needed. She said six, there's three of us all with long hair, and he basically yelled "SIX?! You need six?!?... I'll see what I can do but no guarantees!" Whatever happened to the customer always being right? And since when do we have to explain ourselves? He dropped the towels off without a word and didn't even say "have a good night." Horrible customer service.

Some other highlights include... Us asking for a cot and the lady saying "the staff is just too busy right now?," and a lady from SALES ended up having to bring it up, paper thin walls, stressed and terse staff, an unknown loud bass sound going off every night, dated EVERYTHING, including the smelly carpets, elevators that leave you praying they don't drop, no ice machine on each floor, and very poor hallway lighting that makes you feel like you're in the shining.

I feel bad because this hotel is obviously at a disadvantage but the owners need to start putting some money into updates and repairs if they want to stand a chance.

I don't recommend staying here and I will not be returning.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marissa M
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed one night with a groupon rate. Stayed in the Bi-level suite, it looked into the parking lot.
The room was not ready until well after 430, didn't eat at the hotel, but did get a few beers and apps, it was fine. But the joke of this is they don't have enough help, people that work there look stressed out and over worked. We had a gas leak, apparently of diesel fuel, and the whole building smelled like it was gonna blow! No hot water that night, but apparently it was fixed the next day. It is a shame because this place COULD be a gem, but they will be closing soon with the opening of the the camel beach hotel next year. I will not be back.

1  Thank EaglesMom
John_W_GM, General Manager at Chateau Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

EaglesMom-

Thanks for the review. That Sunday night was an issue as a valve that serves fuel oil to our hot water boilers failed. The resulting leak was quickly contained, but the final repair took four hours for the hot water to be restored.

Whenever I have had issues like this at a property, it does definitely stress the systems. Everyone wants answers and everyone has questions. We did recall three managers, two maintenance men and emergency crew from our plumber to make certain we addressed the needs and got the systems up and running around 1AM.

I do apologize for the inconvenience and would love to restore your faith in our property. I am not certain which of our guests you were, so can't call you directly. However, if you can call me at your convenience or email your contact information, I would love to discuss the issue.

John
GM@ChateauResort.com
(570) 629-5900

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I consider myself to be easily pleased and don't complain often but my boyfriend and I had a bad experience here. Before scrolling through other reviews just believe me when I say- you should look somewhere else. The only good thing about this place was the location. It was close proximity to major attractions in the area. When we arrived (which was about an hr and a half early) the room was not ready. Which was fine because we were early (but this has never happened to me before- maybe I've been lucky) We went to the water park to kill time. Camel beach was great- I definitely recommend it. When we came back the room was ready. We were seriously disappointed in the room. It was TINY and smelled. The description of this place is misleading. They also stuck us on the first floor which hindered the view a little too. I've paid way less and have been way more satisfied. We realized we were given a handicap accessible room because our bathroom was so big and the room was SO small. If we were staying longer than one night, we may have said something. After we showered we realized that since it was a handicap room and there is only a ramp into the shower and no door (only a curtain) THE BATHROOM FLOODED. Absolutely ridiculous! We had to put towels down to make sure we didn't slip and fall. Also, the young lady at the front desk was awful. We didn't even feel comfortable asking for recommendations on activities because she knew nothing about anything else. Already expecting the worst, we had dinner at the hotel. The food was better than expected but probably not worth the money (Sirloin steak-$24, drink "special"- $5 for bottom shelf vodka and juice). Needless to say, we will not be staying here again. I do recommend hiking Big Pocono State Park- which is about 5 min away from the resort. We also ate at Barley Creek Brewery. Food was great (Wings and Jalapeno Pickles), but bartender/waitress was very cold and not very welcoming.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PlagidosWinery

PlagidosWinery-

I am glad you liked the location, food and view. I am sorry that your room was not up to your expectations. Many couple like the ADA rooms because of the queen bed and large bathroom.

As to the value of the food, the New York strip you wrote about does include choice of soup or salad, vegetable & starch. I just looked to Barley Creek's menu (the other restaurant you reference) and the same dish, 12 oz strip steak is $26. In my experience, both are a value, which is our goal. Good quality food, fresh cooked, at a value with friendly outgoing service.

Having said that, it is obvious you didn't enjoy yourself. I would love the opportunity to restore your faith in our property and get you into a room that would be more to your liking.

Please do give me a call at 570 629-5900 or email GM@ChateauResort.com. I would appreciate it.

-John

Reviewed 18 August 2014

MY wife, 2 kids and wife's friend and her 3 kids had nothing but issues. The hotel had a Diesel leak which made everything smell and started making people sick. The only reason she found out about the leak was because she complained about 100 times about the smell and forced someone to come investigate. They even lied about the diesel leak at first, stating that it was a hot water problem. The Manager told my wife to call 911 for assistance about possible carbon monoxide, then got angry at her for "adding to the chaos". My wife refused to pay for the room and was basically told that it was all her fault anyhow.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
1  Thank Chris M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tannersville
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Chateau Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!