“Crowded, disorganized, and definitely NOT for beginners”

Camelback Mountain Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: Camelback Mountain Resort is one of the only ski resorts in PA to offer year-round family fun! Our ski resort is a place where kids can be kids... and adults can be too. It offers you a year-round supply of unadulterated fun. Camelback ski resort challenges if allowed to but never intimidates. It's a place that is both lively and quiet no matter what hour of the day. It's one of the only ski resorts in PA that has something for everyone to enjoy no matter what race, color or creed and doesn't care what equipment you use to traverse its slopes or what clothes you wear to keep you comfortable. Camelback speaks many languages, but no matter what language is yours, "Winter Fun" is always translated here. Come out and discover Camelback and experience winter fun like never before at the most diverse and exciting ski resort in PA.
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I have visited Camelback's water park during the summer. This is a review of its ski facilities.

To begin with, I arrived with a group around 3:30. I am a beginning-level skier, who knows the basics and has only skied the bunny slopes. The Coolmoor is supposed to be the slope for beginners.

To begin with, the line to the lift was very long and very slow. Once we reached the top, it was clear that the slope was bumpy, a bit icy, and too steep for beginners.

I was with a friend who has more experience, though he was out of practice. Even he was got scared when he saw how steep it was. There were also a lot of other people on the slope, many sitting on the ground with snowboards. It was difficult and downright frightening to steer around them while avoiding bumps as well. The slope is too difficult for beginning skiers, and there isn't anything easier for adult beginners.

If you are a beginner who wants to ski within your comfort zone, I do not recommend Camelback. It is better suited for people with much more experience.

Add to that the long lines, disorganized slopes, and lack of directions, and it was an unpleasant experience.

Perhaps I will take skiing lessons next winter, but not at Camelback. I like the water park but don't feel comfortable skiing here again.

All reviews
"zip lining"
in 12 reviews
"moved quickly"

Reviewed 2 March 2014

With two young kids, I did a little research as to where the best place to get them started on skiing without having to spend a fortune. We tried two other mountains, but were left wanting. That's when I settled on Camelback. At the time I made reservations, they had a promotion going for the Explorer package that I thought was a great deal. 3 days of rentals, lift tickets, plus lessons for one low price with no blackout dates. As for me, they had a 3 day all access pass as well for a low price. Also, with no blackout dates.

The first time we went, we used 2 of the 3 passes. Their learn to ski area is pretty expansive for a Poconos area resort and the kids learned a great deal.

The rest of the mountain was challenging enough for me. I'm not the world's greatest skier and I definitely won't be featured on the cover of any ski magazine. What I liked was they had a lot of lifts so you don't have to spend a lot of time waiting to get back to the top.

The second time we went, to use up the last of the 3 day passes, we forgot the bring the pass with us. But once we got there, the Guest Services accommodated us and we were able to ski that day.

Overall, we like the place. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. The kids learned quite a bit in their lessons. I think we'll be going to this place in the foreseeable future since it is pretty close to us. Once the kids have mastered the slopes here, then maybe we'll head out to the bigger mountains in VT or NH.

1  Thank 877drj
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My wife and I had the pleasure of skiing Camelback in late January. The line to buy tickets was long, but once we got on the slopes the snow was nicely groomed and the trails very scenic and fun. The black diamond trails were decent enough. For various reasons we normally ski in Colorado, and of the areas in the Poconos Camelback most reminds me of the skiing out there. Also, we were very intrigued to see all of the folks of different nationalities on the slopes. There were people of every color and complexition, and everyone had a HUGE smile on their faces. Skiing really does bring people together. It was an excellent, excellent time.

2  Thank BekkaPhil
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Family friendly resort that is growing. Went there for snow tubing. This is best for the kids. They offer a lot of lanes on two different hills. Staff was friendly. Tubing takes place in 3 hour time slots so try to buy your tickets on the hour. Shuttle buses offer service to other hills for skiing and snowboarding. One setback is that the staff does not have much control or order over everything that is going on. They need to develop a better system to be able to manage the amount of people that are now visiting this park and help run things smoothly. Overall it is a nice park and I would go back again.