“A Must-Do Attraction Near Pittsburgh!”
Review of Tour-Ed Coal Mine

Tour-Ed Coal Mine
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Tarentum
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I loved visiting the Tour-Ed Coal Mine (a 25 minute drive north of downtown Pittsburgh)! There are not many places in the country where you can actually go into a formerly active coal mine, but here you not only go into the coal mine- you take a mine cart to do it! Our guides were very nice, knowledgeable, and answered all our questions.

The first part of the tour is the educational piece- you learn about coal, mining, and the history and current state of the industry in the area. Then once in the mine, you walk through several sections that have equipment from different chronological eras in mining- from pick axes and dynamite, to a modern high-tech mining machine.

The mine is only open for public touring from Memorial Day through October (their website has more details). Sometimes in late May/early June, there are still huge school groups taking tours of the mine. I would recommend calling ahead so you can pick a time to visit that won't overlap with a large group.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"tunnel"
"century"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our family toured the Tour-Ed Coal Mine and had a great time! It was quite the learning experience, indeed, since we had never been on this type of tour before. Our tour guide, Leland, was very informative in his knowledge of coal mines. Glad we took the time to visit!

My husband and I enjoyed going back into history as we saw some items in the museum which brought back memories for us.

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our tour of the Ed Coal Mine. It was informative and loads of fun. This is a family fun event. We all give it a thumbs up.

1  Thank David B
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Such a fascinating tour of the history of industry, mining, coal, history, business, and life in 19th-century US. We got to ride a cool long piece of machinery deep, deep, into the mine. It was amazing to be in coal tunnels and to learn all about the daily lives of people who lived and worked in the mines. There were many working pieces of coal machinery so we could see the progression of technology. A former coal miner led the tour.

1  Thank LadyArlington
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 August 2017

My father, grandfathers and uncles were coal miners in southwestern Pennsylvania yet I had never been in a coal mine. I was visiting Pennsylvania and read about the Tour-Ed Coal Mine in Tarentum and it was top of my list to see.

I was warmly greeted by two former miners and one became our tour guide. We entered the mine in a low mine car and went deep into the mine. Our guide explained coal mining techniques through the years and demonstrated various pieces of equipment along with the dangers of mining. We were on a tour so it was all in good fun, but it was not hard to imagine what a hard and dismal life miners had especially in the early days of coal mining. I had a new respect for my father and relatives and how hard their work lives were.

This is a fun and educational tour for adults and kids. The ride in the coal car was well worth the visit as it went deep into the mine.

2  Thank Jackbear