“Good food, spotty waitstaff... worth reading”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sinobi HQ - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sinobi HQ
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Korean
Description: Zip code = 15084. Japanese Korean fusion cuisine in Pittsburgh Mills Mall about 25 miles from downtown Pittsburgh Tel: (724) 895-3545
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Good food, spotty waitstaff... worth reading”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

We were living outside Tarentum, PA for about 2 months for work. We visited Sinobi a total of 4 times. The first time we went we were a little concerned considering in was in a mall & also empty. We sat at the bar & were immediately greeted. We each order the house wine (Myself white, my b/f red) and two rolls each (4 different rolls total). The server was very generous on our wine pours & the sushi came out quick and was tasty and fresh. The second and third time we went, same service, very friendly, asked if we had any questions, etc...
The fourth (and LAST) time was on June 26, 2011. We arrived about 2:00 PM & noticed a new sign on their door advertising Korean hot-dogs. My b/f is a bit of a hot dog lover & immediately stated "I am trying those!" We went and sat at the bar (same as other 3 visits) & I immediately noticed ants crawling all over the bar top. There was only 3, I smashed them & decided not to say anything. A women (whom I'd never seen before, every other time we'd visited it was same staff) gave us our menus & took our orders. I ordered a diet coke & my b/f a house red. Then a gentleman came out & gave me my diet coke & said "You wanted a red, right?" When he poured, he literally poured 1/6 of what we were used to! Maybe 2-3 sips! No big deal. Time to order. I ordered a yellow tail tuna roll and deep fried California, no issues. Then my b/f ordered the Korean hot-dogs & the waiter replied "Oh, that's a weekday special, so sorry". So he looked over the menu once more & decided on the Bacorn roll. The waiters reply "Oh, that is a long prep item and isn't fully prepped yet. Sorry." Try 3... he wanted a Bento-box (which we've ordered before) and his reply was "Sorry, that is a weekday item". Now, why are all these items on the regular menu & nothing is stating this!? Try four! He ordered a teriyaki something or the other... finally, they had it.

As we wait & chat the waiter asked if we want the TVs on. No thanks we tell him, as we were just enjoying one anothers company. WELL, he turns the TVs on, no big deal. But both are on full volume, one showing a VH1 show, one show baseball. Then, someone turned the radio up in the bar area to quite a loud volume. Total system overload. So my sushi comes out but no teriyaki bowl. We start on the sushi figuring the bowl takes a bit longer... As we eat, the waiter asks my b/f if he would like a different wine glass since the one his wine is in looks dirty?! Uhm, what? My b/f looks at the glass and says "No, it's fine, just water spots". So we go about our sushi & conversation & the waiter says "Would you like me to change the channel?" My b/f says "No, were not watching it anyway." Then, here comes the kicker... The waiter looks at me and says "Oh, I didn't know if this show was appropriate for the baby," "WHAT!?" I say, he puts his hand on his tummy, rubs it and replies "Your baby." I replied "I'm not pregnant." then got up & walked away.

Needless to say, the bowl never showed up and we will NEVER go back. I just lost over 40+ pounds & was having a nice date out with my boyfriend having a "off" day on my diet (Hey, sushi isn't so bad!) and to be made to feel so bad, I hope that waiter feels horrible. You should never ask a women that! The food is good, the service is good if you get the people who've worked there a while.

• Visited May 2011

USA
“Japanese-Korean fusion ina suburban shopping mall”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

AMBIANCE: Sinobi HQ's decor is interesting with some quaint features - e.g., they had white t-shirts with black lettering in black frames on the wall, scroll menus which are unfurled by the waitstaff after one is seated etc. They advertised outside seating in a small patio facing the mall parking lot but it was not open when we were there. Inside, it was cool and dark. We only saw one other group of dinners.
FOOD: Advertised as fusion cuisine. They had a number of sushi offerings and the standard teriyaki dishes. One of us ordered a salad - shredded cabbage and 3 asparagus spears with garnishes and the house dressing - cost $7.95! We also tried a sushi roll (good) and a noodle dish (doused in a sweetish sauce). The many had several other items that looked interesting but were unavailable according to our waiter.
SERVICE: The staff we met were all pleasant and friendly. But our impression was that the service was rather spotty with the waitstaff disappearing for longish periods. The kitchen was open - so we could see one of our wait ladies engaged in a prolonged, animated, and rather loud conversation with one of the chefs. No one was available for consultation/advice and made our choices as best we could from the details in the menu. Then all the items (tea, soup, salad, main dishes etc) were served simultaneously. It was not clear if this was a Korean-Japanese fusion trend or a whim of the waitstaff - in any case it was a rather unique experience.
IMPRESSION: We found this to be an unsatisfactory experience and determined that we had made 2 visits to the restaurant (the first and the last) that day.

• Visited June 2011