“Jan and Bruce set the standard for all other B&Bs.”

Artist's Inn and Gallery
Ranked #1 of 1 Terre Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Alexandria, Virginia
“Jan and Bruce set the standard for all other B&Bs.”
Reviewed 19 April 2011

My husband surprised me with a visit to the Inn for our 18th anniversary. He could not have made a better choice. Jan and Bruce are the perfect hosts with warm conversation, excellent service, plenty of assistance when it came to information about the area, suggestions of places to visit, and directions. The room was beautiful and comfortable. The gourmet breakfasts Jan prepared were scrumptious with so much offered it was easy to overindulge. Jan went above and beyond when we arrived back at the inn after a celebratory dinner out and found our bed turned down for the evening with delicious homemade chocolates and a complimentary bottle of chilled champagne. Our stay was, to say the least, delightful. We hope to return again soon.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cdjslp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Philadelphia
Reviewed 10 April 2011

"We should live here, Mom!!" is what my 15-year-old daughter said to me during our stay - and I agree with her! The Artist's Inn and Gallery exudes warmth and charm, and Jan (the co-owner and innkeeper) is extremely welcoming, helpful, friendly, and caring. It feels like your home, with plentiful books to read, family photos along the staircase, comfortable and beautiful bedrooms......It is very clean, and it truly was a cozy nook away from the 'hustle and bustle' and stress, that I miss already! My daughter even said the sleep she got there was some of the best she ever had. It reminds me of an simpler, older time gone by (but the Inn does not feel outdated at all - it has a television, radio, DVD player)....it is quaint and has a small-town feel. At night, when it is still and quiet, having the fireplace to light up the room (we were in the 'Garden Room' that has an adjoining area with a fireplace) was an experience that was almost magical. The room was temperature-controlled, and the updated bathing area was great so my daughter could shower after her half marathon (we were there for a one-night stay for a half marathon in town). Jan regaled us with stories about the history of the Inn. And, on top of all of this, we are vegan and to our pleasant surprise, there was delicious oatmeal prepared without dairy, and delicious berries and fruit for breakfast. Attention to every detail by Jan to make your stay comfortable and make sure you have to get done what you need to do, also makes the Artist's Inn a true treasure. We came without a car, and she drove us where we needed to go, or helped us get to the local destinations that were very close. I could write a tome on all of the things that were exceptional about the Artist's Inn, but then I'm not sure anyone would read it all! :) In summary, my teenage daughter and I very highly recommend the Artist's Inn, even if you just stay one night before a local event, or if you want to 'get away from it all' for a bit. I truly feel relaxed and rejuvenated after this one-night stay. I wish we could have stayed longer, and we hope to be back next year!!

Room Tip: Make reservations early
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RunningFanatic
Reviewed 28 March 2011

This past weekend, my lovely bride of 28 years and I spent our fourth fabulous getaway weekend at the Artist Inn and Gallery in Beautiful Lancaster County! Each experience has had its own special uniqueness. However, this past weekend was most impressive and will be extremely difficult to surpass in my honest opinion.

First and foremost, there would be NO experience without the gracious hosting and kindness that Jan and Bruce offer up by opening their home for our enjoyment. I have never left without my face cheek and side muscles reminding me of the many great laughs and smiles that one can have in 48 hours. In a short period of time they have become like cousins that we grew up with. Breakfast at the Inn compares to ninety minutes at the “kid’s table” at a distant relative’s wedding. With the other guest sharing their stories it will quickly become a real hoot!

Through Jan’s vast networking skills but most importantly her perseverance, she was able to open up a ‘New World’ to 21 most common “Old Englanders” and immerse us in to the Amish Church, culture, society and business world. Through her repeated return trips to ask and ask again, she accomplished what few from our world have been able to do.

We were exposed to the manufacturing abilities of the Amish. Perfection and pride in their work integrity was in the forefront. Not many reading this have ever seen the beautiful craftsmanship that goes in to the building of the Amish carriage. A trade skill passed on from generation to generation. If you have ever shared a donut or pastry from Sadie’s Amish Bakery, you would drive right past the Starbucks and go another 10 minutes in to the country to the bakery shop located in the basement of their farmhouse
The absolute “whipped cream with a cherry and chocolate sprinkles on top” event occurred with our introduction to the Stolfus Family. This loving and kind husband and wife, along with their eight children, invited us in to their farm ‘home’ for fellowship and fine home-style dinning at its best. The food was delicious and the dialog between we the people and this beautiful family was educational, inspirational as well as heartwarming. We discussed church, family, politics, courting, weddings, marriage, education, life on the farm and trades. I was deeply moved by the openness and transparency of these folks. I also recognized that we the people of our culture have an abstract and disillusioned painting of what their beliefs and reasoning is really about. It was three hours of life that I will cherish as long as I can.

As I ponder over this experience, I must express that this certainly was one of the top five most humbling and educational moments of my fifty seven years of life! I say this as an individual who has traveled around the world. For that opportunity of a lifetime memory Jan and Bruce, I am forever grateful to you!

Dan Soulier

1 Thank FirechiefDan
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 28 March 2011

As soon as you step onto the porch of this Inn, you will feel relaxed. The porches are charming and inviting. When Jan and Bruce open the door, you immediately feel comfortable and welcomed. The rooms are beautifully and thoughtfully furnished and decorated. Each room has its own unique charm. Our favorite is the Garden Suite which has its own large porch with an amazing view down into the valley. Breakfast is always a delicious experience. Jan's fruit creations are especially good. Wandering among Bruce's colored pencil pictures, you are hard-pressed not to smile or laugh out loud. By the end of the visit you will be thinking about how soon you must return; we can't stay away for long. The special tours arranged by Jan and her group of friendly inn keepers are unique, informative and fun. Our favorite so far is the Amish tour during which we learned quite a lot about the Amish life and culture. We will be returning to this Inn several times this year.

1 Thank JeanMarieWoolley
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We know we will be welcomed with open arms, fresh cookies and coffee. Jan is a gourmet cook and hostess and Bruce is an artist with a sense of whit that keeps us laughing. Terre Hill is out of the main path so it is quiet and secluded yet intermingled with the mystery of Lancaster Co ambiance. Each room has an elegance and theme of its own and cleanliness that keeps us coming back time and time again.

Northampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 March 2011

This was our first B&B experience. Jan & Bruce could not have been more warm, welcoming and hospitable. From the moment we arrived we felt like family. It really felt more like our home away from home! Our brunch on Saturday was just outstanding. When was the last time you had a puree of roasted corn souffle that floated to the table?? Just spectacular in every way. We can't wait to return to enjoy more of their company with a bottle of wine!

Telford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 March 2011

This was our fourth visit to the Artist's Inn and Gallery. It is located in a hushed village within Lancaster County, PA. Jan and Bruce are friendly, helpful hosts who make you feel like family. They are willing to cater to all your possible needs. Jan and Bruce are well-known, involved, and well-liked in the wider community. Jan professionally prepared and Bruce impeccably served our unique, delicious, candlelit, four-course breakfast. We stayed in the Garden Suite which is a quiet and beautifully decorated space with a comfortable king-sized bed and a relaxing Jacuzzi. We departed well fed, carrying several more pieces of Bruce's art work.

1 Thank theludwigs
Hurst House Bed & Breakfast
The Olde Square Inn
The Olde Square Inn
#1 of 10 in Mount Joy

Been to Artist's Inn and Gallery? Share your experiences!