“Utterly fabulous. I had my wedding at the Artist’s Inn and it was absolutely perfect. Everyone loved it.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Artist's Inn and Gallery

Artist's Inn and Gallery
Ranked #1 of 1 Terre Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

My (now) husband and I have stayed at the Artist's Inn 3 pervious times and were so in love with the place and the Innkeepers that we asked if they would host our wedding. It was indeed my dream wedding. Everyone who stayed there raved about the place and Jan and Bruce made it so very special. The Inn, Carriage House and Cottage provide wonderful accommodations. The breakfasts are to-die for. The ambiance cannot be beat - and Bruce's art really adds a fun touch to the Inn (be sure to save time to look at it all). Great location for sightseeing in charming Lancaster or for just lounging around. I would stay there every weekend if I could!

Room Tip: All rooms are great - you will not be disappointed
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Anne052111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

I just had the most wonderful visit at the Artist’s Inn and Gallery! I have been to Lancaster County several times and believe I have found the most perfect place to stay in this unique and loved destination. Terre Hill is a charming, quaint little town which overlooks the surrounding farmlands. The location provides such peace and an air of country living while still being convenient to all the tourist attractions of Straussburg, Bird in Hand, Intercourse, Lancaster, ect. but of course if you are looking for a getaway where the only thing on the itinerary is sitting out on the porch leisurely reading a book or going for a stroll in the country side to take in some fresh air and gorgeous views, The Artist’s Inn & Gallery is the place to come and unwind.
The rooms are clean and tasteful with practical and sweet little details. The beds are luxurious with high quality bedclothes and pillows. One could lounge around in them all day watching videos from the downstairs library on the flat screen tv. I stayed in the Garden Suite which had a spa-like bathroom. An immaculate two person soaking tub/jacuzzi, a separate shower equipped with three massaging jets, a gas fireplace....yes, you read that correctly a fire place in the bathroom, and a day bed straight out of Anne of Green Gables...yes ,a bed/lounging couch in the bathroom. I will never forget sleepily stretching out on that daybed one misty rainy morning in front of the fireplace while watching the Amish buggies clip clop past one of the two sunken windows. It was like being transported in time. What a unique and precious rare experience topped off with a comforting soak in the tub. The rooms will pamper and spoil you!
The innkeeper Jan is a concierge extraordinaire. She has the key to the county with an extensive list of contacts of local merchants and service providers. Whatever it is you would like to do Jan can arrange it for you, map it out for you, get you coupons and still will ask you to call if you get lost. I came to her door in a sorry state after my vacation plans fell apart and Jan whisked up a perfectly tailored itinerary indulging us for the next two days. I feel like one need just arrive and everything else would be taken care of by Jan and Bruce.
Breakfast is sublime. Served by candle light and coming in five courses it is a warm and delightful experience which will leave you full well past lunch. Jan and Bruce are foodies and it shows. They go well above and beyond the typical B&B fare with local fresh ingredients a wide variety of tastes and choices. So conscientious, they will adjust the menu for dietary needs and tastes. Jan really throws down in the kitchen. You will not be disappointed.
I highly recommend this Inn. It is perfect for family holidays, romantic escapes, girlfriend getaways, and personal me times. I can’t wait to go back

Room Tip: The cottages look amazing! Definately worth it!
2 Thank fallenidol234
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

My husband surprised me with a visit to the Inn for our 18th anniversary. He could not have made a better choice. Jan and Bruce are the perfect hosts with warm conversation, excellent service, plenty of assistance when it came to information about the area, suggestions of places to visit, and directions. The room was beautiful and comfortable. The gourmet breakfasts Jan prepared were scrumptious with so much offered it was easy to overindulge. Jan went above and beyond when we arrived back at the inn after a celebratory dinner out and found our bed turned down for the evening with delicious homemade chocolates and a complimentary bottle of chilled champagne. Our stay was, to say the least, delightful. We hope to return again soon.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cdjslp
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

"We should live here, Mom!!" is what my 15-year-old daughter said to me during our stay - and I agree with her! The Artist's Inn and Gallery exudes warmth and charm, and Jan (the co-owner and innkeeper) is extremely welcoming, helpful, friendly, and caring. It feels like your home, with plentiful books to read, family photos along the staircase, comfortable and beautiful bedrooms......It is very clean, and it truly was a cozy nook away from the 'hustle and bustle' and stress, that I miss already! My daughter even said the sleep she got there was some of the best she ever had. It reminds me of an simpler, older time gone by (but the Inn does not feel outdated at all - it has a television, radio, DVD player)....it is quaint and has a small-town feel. At night, when it is still and quiet, having the fireplace to light up the room (we were in the 'Garden Room' that has an adjoining area with a fireplace) was an experience that was almost magical. The room was temperature-controlled, and the updated bathing area was great so my daughter could shower after her half marathon (we were there for a one-night stay for a half marathon in town). Jan regaled us with stories about the history of the Inn. And, on top of all of this, we are vegan and to our pleasant surprise, there was delicious oatmeal prepared without dairy, and delicious berries and fruit for breakfast. Attention to every detail by Jan to make your stay comfortable and make sure you have to get done what you need to do, also makes the Artist's Inn a true treasure. We came without a car, and she drove us where we needed to go, or helped us get to the local destinations that were very close. I could write a tome on all of the things that were exceptional about the Artist's Inn, but then I'm not sure anyone would read it all! :) In summary, my teenage daughter and I very highly recommend the Artist's Inn, even if you just stay one night before a local event, or if you want to 'get away from it all' for a bit. I truly feel relaxed and rejuvenated after this one-night stay. I wish we could have stayed longer, and we hope to be back next year!!

Room Tip: Make reservations early
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RunningFanatic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

This past weekend, my lovely bride of 28 years and I spent our fourth fabulous getaway weekend at the Artist Inn and Gallery in Beautiful Lancaster County! Each experience has had its own special uniqueness. However, this past weekend was most impressive and will be extremely difficult to surpass in my honest opinion.

First and foremost, there would be NO experience without the gracious hosting and kindness that Jan and Bruce offer up by opening their home for our enjoyment. I have never left without my face cheek and side muscles reminding me of the many great laughs and smiles that one can have in 48 hours. In a short period of time they have become like cousins that we grew up with. Breakfast at the Inn compares to ninety minutes at the “kid’s table” at a distant relative’s wedding. With the other guest sharing their stories it will quickly become a real hoot!

Through Jan’s vast networking skills but most importantly her perseverance, she was able to open up a ‘New World’ to 21 most common “Old Englanders” and immerse us in to the Amish Church, culture, society and business world. Through her repeated return trips to ask and ask again, she accomplished what few from our world have been able to do.

We were exposed to the manufacturing abilities of the Amish. Perfection and pride in their work integrity was in the forefront. Not many reading this have ever seen the beautiful craftsmanship that goes in to the building of the Amish carriage. A trade skill passed on from generation to generation. If you have ever shared a donut or pastry from Sadie’s Amish Bakery, you would drive right past the Starbucks and go another 10 minutes in to the country to the bakery shop located in the basement of their farmhouse
The absolute “whipped cream with a cherry and chocolate sprinkles on top” event occurred with our introduction to the Stolfus Family. This loving and kind husband and wife, along with their eight children, invited us in to their farm ‘home’ for fellowship and fine home-style dinning at its best. The food was delicious and the dialog between we the people and this beautiful family was educational, inspirational as well as heartwarming. We discussed church, family, politics, courting, weddings, marriage, education, life on the farm and trades. I was deeply moved by the openness and transparency of these folks. I also recognized that we the people of our culture have an abstract and disillusioned painting of what their beliefs and reasoning is really about. It was three hours of life that I will cherish as long as I can.

As I ponder over this experience, I must express that this certainly was one of the top five most humbling and educational moments of my fifty seven years of life! I say this as an individual who has traveled around the world. For that opportunity of a lifetime memory Jan and Bruce, I am forever grateful to you!

Dan Soulier

1 Thank FirechiefDan
Lewes, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

As soon as you step onto the porch of this Inn, you will feel relaxed. The porches are charming and inviting. When Jan and Bruce open the door, you immediately feel comfortable and welcomed. The rooms are beautifully and thoughtfully furnished and decorated. Each room has its own unique charm. Our favorite is the Garden Suite which has its own large porch with an amazing view down into the valley. Breakfast is always a delicious experience. Jan's fruit creations are especially good. Wandering among Bruce's colored pencil pictures, you are hard-pressed not to smile or laugh out loud. By the end of the visit you will be thinking about how soon you must return; we can't stay away for long. The special tours arranged by Jan and her group of friendly inn keepers are unique, informative and fun. Our favorite so far is the Amish tour during which we learned quite a lot about the Amish life and culture. We will be returning to this Inn several times this year.

1 Thank JeanMarieWoolley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

We know we will be welcomed with open arms, fresh cookies and coffee. Jan is a gourmet cook and hostess and Bruce is an artist with a sense of whit that keeps us laughing. Terre Hill is out of the main path so it is quiet and secluded yet intermingled with the mystery of Lancaster Co ambiance. Each room has an elegance and theme of its own and cleanliness that keeps us coming back time and time again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Terre Hill
EJ Bowman House Bed and Breakfast
Historic Smithton Inn
Historic Smithton Inn
#1 of 8 in Ephrata

Been to Artist's Inn and Gallery? Share your experiences!