“Horrible experience”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tunkhannock
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Horrible experience”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Inn-Resort on 6-16-13 and I do not know where to begin on the conditions of the this place. We arrived and it looked very nice[looks can be deceiving]. Then we entered our room and found no hangers for our clothes, the headboard was not connected to the bed or wall so when you moved it banged against the wall. They had a different toilet tank lid that sat hanging off, no stopper in the sink the tv reception was awful. To top it off you had to pay to swim in their pool. They charged us $100.00 for the night. This place was horrible, we should have left but that was our mistake. PLEASE think twice before you book at this place.

Room Tip: Good Luck!
Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
High Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed at Shadowbrook last weekend for my nieces college graduation.
1. I didn't get the two beds I had a a reservation for; i got one queen
2. We found the room to be clean but very old. Smelled musty, but we opened a window and
it got better.
3 The cable for the TV needs fixing. The reception was horrible on every channel
4 the registration is not handicapp accessible and I'm handicapped
5 On the up side, it had a little refridgerator and a microwave. The bed felt quite new and I
liked the pillows.

I understand management is trying to rennovate, YEAH because my niece is getting married there next year and I'll be staying there again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pat P
Lawrenceville, PA
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I hate to give a bad review, but I'd like to be honest here. I made a reservation for one night, non smoking. I checked in Ok, but when I got to my room, it was a smoking room that smelled very badly and the ashtray had been wiped not washed. I have allergies (thanks middle age) and called to get changed. I was informed that they were fully booked and had no other rooms. When I said I'd booked non-smoking I was told that since I booked online there was no room choice. Although my reservation clearly states "Non Smoking". Ok, so I put the fan on high, opened the balcony door, recommissioned the ashtray to the balcony, and took some tylenol.

That wasn't as bad though as the quality and cleanliness of the room. The room was filthy with ashes sprinkled on the floor next to the bed, and crusty food like substances on both bedspreads. I brought crocs and wore them the entire time I was in the room, even into the shower. I will say that the bathroom appeared clean, but very worn out. Water leaking out all over from tub spigot during shower, outdated fixtures and old worn out countertops. Electric outlet was melted and very scary looking.

The dead bolt on the door wouldn't work and when I called down for assistance I was given a "so what" attitude. I finally got it secured by heaving up on door with all my might.

I slept poorly, and enjoyed a minimal but OK included breakfast. I understand this place is undergoing renovations, and my room must be one that obviously hadn't been done yet. But for what I paid, I was expecting so much more. I've stayed in much better hotels for half of what I paid here. Or at least they could have a better attitiude about it. I did speak with management the next morning and expressed my dissatisfaction. They said they would have someone call me, but no one has bothered to call back.

I know the gas boom has things pretty busy in the area, and I chose this hotel over the higher priced, but worth every penny, hotel I stayed at the last time. I thought I would give Shadowbrook a try even after reading the mixed reviews. FYI - I already booked the higher priced hotel for my next trip, because it is worth it. If you are staying in the area, be sure to book early as rooms sell out fast due.

Room Tip: If you stay here, be sure to ask for one of the newer rooms ahead of time.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Goodwaterwitch
San Francisco
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My wife and I stayed one night at Shadowbrook on March 31, 2013. We only used it as a hotel and did not go to the restaurant or use any of the resort facilities. The place is almost finished with a renovation which includes new carpets, paint, etc. The room was huge and included a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. Beds and linens were clean and comfortable...the heat worked and there was no wait for hot water even though we stayed in the unit farthest from the reception area. They have a "cold breakfast" included with the price--we didn't use this (we always bring cereal because breakfasts take too long and are fattening) but we saw a waffle iron. Soundproofing isn't good (there's a 3/4" gap at the bottom of the doors) and the doors slam but the room was plenty comfortable.

They have free Wifi which worked fine, even in the room farthest from the reception area.

A problem in this area is that it is dead center in the Marcellus Shale (gas fracking) gold rush so all the workers coming into the area have pushed prices up to an unbelieveable level. Our room was $85 plus a hefty sales tax--but it was the cheapest acceptable hotel in the area.

I was visiting my mother who lives in the area. During our various visits to the area we've found that the population generally offers pretty low quality employees and service. Sorry to have to say this but people in the area are just not very motivated and don't seem to have much aptitude for doing a good job. Seems like anybody with the smarts gets out of town!

When we called Shadowbrook for directions on the way to town the desk clerk was absolutely clueless--couldn't even tell us which side of town the hotel was on. Since I've operated businesses myself I know that a properly managed business should always have a written set of directions available for the person answering the phone--as well as emergency phone numbers.

We were amazed to find that many of the restaurants in the area close on sundays even though this is a resort area! This includes "Bogey's" at Shadowbrook. Getting people to answer the phone at businesses is a bit of a chore. We wanted to take our local family to an Easter brunch or buffet and half the restaurants in town couldn't tell us if they would be open on Easter--just two weeks in advance.

Bottom line is that there aren't much for pickin's with hotels in the area and we found Shadowbrook to be acceptable. You'd do better in nearby Clark's Summit but you will be pretty surprised at the high prices because of the gas boom.

Room Tip: Stay as far from the front of the hotel as possible to minimize noise from slammed doors and clueles...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 March 2013

It's one of those places where nothing gets done. It's a total good ol boy network, from the golf, to the bar, inn, etc. Poor service, poor attitude among workers. I wish I had just stayed home. This place seems like it was cool at one time, maybe in the late 70s or 80s. I didn't have the chance to bowl and the mini golf didn't look like they were open, and I do remember enjoying those things years ago.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed in what looks like the older section of the hotel (that middle section between the restaurant and the reception office), in a second floor room overlooking the golf course. This whole wing is in need of a makeover with the whole decor having seen better days. Sound proofing of rooms is minimal, luckily there was low occupancy rate. Was OK for one night's stopover but would not stay here for any prolonged amount of time. Food at the bar/restaurant was tasty and service there was friendly. Given the location, it was quiet surroundings. Overall not worth the price they wanted for this place, when compared to similar establishments.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Went for a weekend getaway and got a jacuzzi room. Went to fill it and the water smelled like rotten eggs (sulfur). We went to the desk and they put us in another room. Needless to say same situation. Never got to use the jacuzzi. The smell was so bad we couldn't take a shower the next morning. Had to use bottled water to brush our teeth. Everytime we flushed the toilet the room started to smell. Definately not the weekend getaway we expected.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Hollyfm, Manager at Shadowbrook Inn and Resort, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
member559 -

At Shadowbrook Inn and Resort we do our very best to make our clientele as comfortable as possible. Our maintenance staff worked very diligently to amend your problem with the water and we did partially refunded your money for your stay and are very sorry that you were still not satisfied. Our sincere apologies.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tunkhannock
Hampton Inn Tunkhannock
#1 of 1 in Wyalusing
Mohegan Sun Pocono
Mohegan Sun Pocono
#6 of 20 in Wilkes-Barre

Been to Shadowbrook Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!