“Rude and unprofessional”

Shadowbrook Inn and Resort
Shadowbrook Inn and Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tunkhannock
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I witnessed a restaurant manager push a guest that was being taken to there room the front desk ladies take it in there hands to make clames against people they do not like. ( tryed to get guest removed from the hotel and almost fired from there job because they found the guest to look offensive ) very rude and judgemental. not a good place for childern due to the extnsive partys the hotels holds with an open bar for the party goers. the ladies at the bar are the only reason the hotel is nice due to there professional nature and nonjudgemental attitude .

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank dissaponitedguest

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Was here in October 2012 (see my earlier review). Well, the place has not changed a bit, where some TLC is needed on this property. I had reserved two rooms: both were a reasonably large size, one was clean and in OK (just OK) condition. The other had this strong mouldy smell to it and felt run down. The rest of the place is the very same thing it was last fall... Unfortunately, not too many hotel choices in Tunkhannock, and it is my opinion this hotel's management is banking on that situation to get away with a sub-par hotel... One last note: the lady at the front desk was the same one as last fall, and she still had this "why am I here" kind of attitude, not terribly welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fearlessbob
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We came to this place because we had a big family gathering and there was no space at the lake house. How bad could it be?!?! The funny part to me was the front desk staff. They where young women who looked angry that they got the long weekend shift. It was effort to get their attention and they seemed to do their best not to get off their chair. Also, I would guess they had little to no training in managing guests as they gave poor explanations and offered little to no help in problem solving for us. You would never guess that some of the most willing and talented people are looking for work right now.

We had room 146 which is at the back of the hotel. If you don't like to walk then stay away from this room.

The breakfast was upstairs in the hotel. No staff around and the air conditioning was no existent. There was bread, waffles and juice. It was passable.

Their is also no air conditioning in the hallways. Very strange.

The rooms are huge and well air conditioned. The furniture squeaks and feels unstable. The rooms are super dark and there are only two dim lights in very large rooms.

Another funny thing is they want you to pay to use the pool. The pool is small and the jacuzzi is cold. Good luck finding a staff member as the only staff around appeared to be one to two people at the front desk. Go and talk to them, it's amusing!

Room Tip: room 143 was very far away from the car parking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JaredDubai
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Inn-Resort on 6-16-13 and I do not know where to begin on the conditions of the this place. We arrived and it looked very nice[looks can be deceiving]. Then we entered our room and found no hangers for our clothes, the headboard was not connected to the bed or wall so when you moved it banged against the wall. They had a different toilet tank lid that sat hanging off, no stopper in the sink the tv reception was awful. To top it off you had to pay to swim in their pool. They charged us $100.00 for the night. This place was horrible, we should have left but that was our mistake. PLEASE think twice before you book at this place.

Room Tip: Good Luck!
Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed at Shadowbrook last weekend for my nieces college graduation.
1. I didn't get the two beds I had a a reservation for; i got one queen
2. We found the room to be clean but very old. Smelled musty, but we opened a window and
it got better.
3 The cable for the TV needs fixing. The reception was horrible on every channel
4 the registration is not handicapp accessible and I'm handicapped
5 On the up side, it had a little refridgerator and a microwave. The bed felt quite new and I
liked the pillows.

I understand management is trying to rennovate, YEAH because my niece is getting married there next year and I'll be staying there again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pat P
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I hate to give a bad review, but I'd like to be honest here. I made a reservation for one night, non smoking. I checked in Ok, but when I got to my room, it was a smoking room that smelled very badly and the ashtray had been wiped not washed. I have allergies (thanks middle age) and called to get changed. I was informed that they were fully booked and had no other rooms. When I said I'd booked non-smoking I was told that since I booked online there was no room choice. Although my reservation clearly states "Non Smoking". Ok, so I put the fan on high, opened the balcony door, recommissioned the ashtray to the balcony, and took some tylenol.

That wasn't as bad though as the quality and cleanliness of the room. The room was filthy with ashes sprinkled on the floor next to the bed, and crusty food like substances on both bedspreads. I brought crocs and wore them the entire time I was in the room, even into the shower. I will say that the bathroom appeared clean, but very worn out. Water leaking out all over from tub spigot during shower, outdated fixtures and old worn out countertops. Electric outlet was melted and very scary looking.

The dead bolt on the door wouldn't work and when I called down for assistance I was given a "so what" attitude. I finally got it secured by heaving up on door with all my might.

I slept poorly, and enjoyed a minimal but OK included breakfast. I understand this place is undergoing renovations, and my room must be one that obviously hadn't been done yet. But for what I paid, I was expecting so much more. I've stayed in much better hotels for half of what I paid here. Or at least they could have a better attitiude about it. I did speak with management the next morning and expressed my dissatisfaction. They said they would have someone call me, but no one has bothered to call back.

I know the gas boom has things pretty busy in the area, and I chose this hotel over the higher priced, but worth every penny, hotel I stayed at the last time. I thought I would give Shadowbrook a try even after reading the mixed reviews. FYI - I already booked the higher priced hotel for my next trip, because it is worth it. If you are staying in the area, be sure to book early as rooms sell out fast due.

Room Tip: If you stay here, be sure to ask for one of the newer rooms ahead of time.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Goodwaterwitch
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My wife and I stayed one night at Shadowbrook on March 31, 2013. We only used it as a hotel and did not go to the restaurant or use any of the resort facilities. The place is almost finished with a renovation which includes new carpets, paint, etc. The room was huge and included a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. Beds and linens were clean and comfortable...the heat worked and there was no wait for hot water even though we stayed in the unit farthest from the reception area. They have a "cold breakfast" included with the price--we didn't use this (we always bring cereal because breakfasts take too long and are fattening) but we saw a waffle iron. Soundproofing isn't good (there's a 3/4" gap at the bottom of the doors) and the doors slam but the room was plenty comfortable.

They have free Wifi which worked fine, even in the room farthest from the reception area.

A problem in this area is that it is dead center in the Marcellus Shale (gas fracking) gold rush so all the workers coming into the area have pushed prices up to an unbelieveable level. Our room was $85 plus a hefty sales tax--but it was the cheapest acceptable hotel in the area.

I was visiting my mother who lives in the area. During our various visits to the area we've found that the population generally offers pretty low quality employees and service. Sorry to have to say this but people in the area are just not very motivated and don't seem to have much aptitude for doing a good job. Seems like anybody with the smarts gets out of town!

When we called Shadowbrook for directions on the way to town the desk clerk was absolutely clueless--couldn't even tell us which side of town the hotel was on. Since I've operated businesses myself I know that a properly managed business should always have a written set of directions available for the person answering the phone--as well as emergency phone numbers.

We were amazed to find that many of the restaurants in the area close on sundays even though this is a resort area! This includes "Bogey's" at Shadowbrook. Getting people to answer the phone at businesses is a bit of a chore. We wanted to take our local family to an Easter brunch or buffet and half the restaurants in town couldn't tell us if they would be open on Easter--just two weeks in advance.

Bottom line is that there aren't much for pickin's with hotels in the area and we found Shadowbrook to be acceptable. You'd do better in nearby Clark's Summit but you will be pretty surprised at the high prices because of the gas boom.

Room Tip: Stay as far from the front of the hotel as possible to minimize noise from slammed doors and clueles...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tunkhannock
Hampton Inn Tunkhannock
#5 of 21 in Wilkes-Barre
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 6 in Clarks Summit

Been to Shadowbrook Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!